uniqs
netuser2010
join:2010-07-06

1 edit

netuser2010

[Signals] New SB6121

Click for full size
Click for full size

I just replace my SB5100 with SB6121. It shows four bonded down and up channels, which is cool. I have Blast, and according to Comcast Speedtest my peak download speed is 36 Mbps for SB6121 vs. 33 Mbps for the SB5100. Upload speed is similar for both modems. Feel free to comment on my stats.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

You have 4 down and 1 up (putting the codeword stats below the Upstream is less than transparent)
Those stats all look excellent, if stable you should be great shape when upstream bonding hits your area.

bandit8623
join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

bandit8623 to netuser2010

to netuser2010
personally i would put a -5dB splitter in the line before the modem. 8dB is getting close to the maximum range. if it spikes up past 10dB u may see connectivity issues.

but if its working u could leave it. everything else looks good.
netuser2010

netuser2010

I was wondering to about the high downstream values. In the summertime, the downstream stays near 0 to +4, and upstream stays near 42 to +47. This summer I had Comcast fix the high upstream issue. Before Comcast fixed the upstream, the upstream was in the 51 to 55 range. I guess when they "fix" the upstream it either increases or decreases the downstream depending on how they adjust the upstream.

Should the upstream and downstream values very enough so they need adjust them when the weather changes from cold to hot? Is there a permanent fix for more moderate change in the upstream and downstream values? It would be nice to not have to worry with the upstream and downstream values.

bandit8623
join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN
Calix 803G
(Software) OPNsense
ZyXEL NWA210AX

bandit8623 to netuser2010

to netuser2010
well fluctuations are normal for temps. if u lower your downstream 5dB im guessing your upstream still would be ok probly go up to around 43dB which is still fine.

u can try it out to see. if it doesnt looks good then just take out the splitter.

hope that helped

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to netuser2010

Premium Member

to netuser2010
said by netuser2010:

Should the upstream and downstream values very enough so they need adjust them when the weather changes from cold to hot? Is there a permanent fix for more moderate change in the upstream and downstream values? It would be nice to not have to worry with the upstream and downstream values.

There are "AGC" (Automatic Gain Control) circuits in the line actives which compensate for seasonal ambient temperature variations. Perhaps one is malfunctioning.
netuser2010

netuser2010

I forgot to mention that we paid Comcast to extend their service to our home in summer 2010. I rely on the Internet for my job so it is important to have a reliable connection. ComcastSteve had a tech make adjustments to the upstream. Should I ask ComcastSteve to look into my levels again? Should I try the splitter first? If so, can someone recommend a splitter to use and where to install it? This is not my area of expertise. If possible, I would prefer Comcast to fix the issue.
danielr83
join:2007-05-25
Fresno, CA

danielr83

Your signal levels look fine. I wouldn't worry about anything.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to netuser2010

Premium Member

to netuser2010
Are you having problems NOW?
It's pretty hard for them to fix something thats not broken, as well as being a bad idea to try.

I'm sure CCSteve could have someone look, but without obvious problems the trip might be a your expense, with no adjustments needed.
BTW is this a business account? because you'd get a quicker tech visit if it was and it went down/had problems.
Also, as nice as a remote home office is, if you REALLY need 100% up time, you'll need at least 1 alternete provider hooked up(or an alternete location) in case of a major (not just your local line) problem.
netuser2010

netuser2010

I decided just to monitor the levels for now. My connection has not had any disconnects yet, which is a good thing.