« choices, sigh...
This is a sub-selection from Clearwire is a
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

iFail 5G to HaloFans

to HaloFans

Re: Clearwire is a

said by HaloFans:

What's the frequency that T-Mobile uses for phone calls and text messages?

It depends on which network, T-Mobile like AT&T is essentially running two different networks. If you are on the GSM network, then 1900mhz, on UMTS/HSPA+ its AWS 1700/2100

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by iFail 5G:

said by HaloFans:

It depends on which network, T-Mobile like AT&T is essentially running two different networks. If you are on the GSM network, then 1900mhz, on UMTS/HSPA+ its AWS 1700/2100

The UMTS/HSPA+ is their 3G/4g DATA (ie: Internet) Network. The Phone and Text are 1900 Mhz (which is why the iPhone can work as a PHONE with T-Mobile SIMs/Mini-SIMs). They also share the same frequency (I do not remember which it is) as AT&T's EDGE Network so the iPhone falls back to EDGE for Data usage when not in an T-Mobile (or T-Mobile Roaming) area.

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

HaloFans

I said 1900 MHz, so why were you arguing with me earlier?

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to RARPSL

to RARPSL
The iPhone works fine on T-mobile's network as a phone, it's only restriction is EDGE data.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL

said by RARPSL See Profile
The UMTS/HSPA+ is their 3G/4g DATA (ie: Internet) Network. The Phone and Text are 1900 Mhz (which is why the iPhone can work as a PHONE with T-Mobile SIMs/Mini-SIMs).

UMTS/HSPA+ can actually handle voice and SMS. For example, I turned off my 2G radio in my Nexus One and am only using AWS 1700/2100 for everything.

In contrast to LTE and WiMax which at this time cannot handle voice. (In any case, they're likely to use a VoIP/SIP based service in the future).
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

iFail 5G to RARPSL

to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

said by iFail 5G:

said by HaloFans:

The UMTS/HSPA+ is their 3G/4g DATA (ie: Internet) Network. The Phone and Text are 1900 Mhz (which is why the iPhone can work as a PHONE with T-Mobile SIMs/Mini-SIMs). They also share the same frequency (I do not remember which it is) as AT&T's EDGE Network so the iPhone falls back to EDGE for Data usage when not in an T-Mobile (or T-Mobile Roaming) area.

Huh? No, GSM is their *legacy* network which runs on the PCS 1900mhz block, AT&T also runs GSM in 1900 and 850mhz. Both carriers have chosen the next upgrade path as UMTS/HSPA+ which for AT&T run's on 850/1900,. T-Mobile's run's on AWS 1700/2100 mhz.

UMTS/HSPA+ carry's voice and SMS + data all at the same time. If you are connected to UMTS then you are not connected to GSM/EDGE at all.

When you put a T-Mobile SIM into an iPhone it looks for UMTS on 1900/850mhz but cannot find it so it reverts down to T-Mobile's older GSM network.
« choices, sigh...
This is a sub-selection from Clearwire is a