spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

If it's not the newtork....

Whether it's software (hopefully) or hardware (bummer), who was responsible for testing? Did folks just assume it would work properly?

Apple is supposed to be notorious for perfection and while the iPhone is a good product (at least on other networks), if this is not just an overloaded Sprint network, who is responsible for dropping the ball? Was Sprint given advanced access to the phone and were they were supposed to extensive nationwide testing or is this Apple's fault for turning out faulty firmware/drivers or whatever?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

It's hard if not impossible to predect how thousands of phones will behave in the hand of a customer.
CTMustang
Premium Member
join:2007-09-10
New Canaan, CT

CTMustang to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina
said by rradina:

Whether it's software (hopefully) or hardware (bummer), who was responsible for testing? Did folks just assume it would work properly?

Apple is supposed to be notorious for perfection and while the iPhone is a good product (at least on other networks), if this is not just an overloaded Sprint network, who is responsible for dropping the ball? Was Sprint given advanced access to the phone and were they were supposed to extensive nationwide testing or is this Apple's fault for turning out faulty firmware/drivers or whatever?

As I said in the other thread.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE SAMSUNG EPIC 4G

they denied denied denied and then finally when enough people got pissed, they fixed it with a software update!!

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
No, actually hardware performance is completely testable, and given its a apple the software should not have many surprises either.

I suspect the release was rushed and software and hardware were not tested properly.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

phones will behave in the hand of a customer.

Is this a subtle reference to the iPhone antenna gate?

battleop

battleop

Hah, not at the time I posted it but now that I think about it...
battleop

1 recommendation

battleop to DataRiker

to DataRiker
You obviously do not deal with end users. Give them a chance and they will come up with some of the most assinine ways to fuck shit up. Then they will yell at you for not thinking up the way they broke it.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to battleop

to battleop

Re: If it's not the network...

If this was the FIRST smart phone to hit Sprint's network, I might agree. However, there's nothing revolutionary here as other smart phones don't have the problem. That means someone didn't spend the necessary time on configuration management. Clearly, it's a config problem unless the chipset Apple chose required completely new drivers. (That would be dumb but par since Apple is very closed and likely doesn't like to pay licensing fees to another tech company that knows Sprint's network.)

battleop

battleop

"That means someone didn't spend the necessary time on configuration management. "

Is that a statement based on first hand experience or just the ramblings of an arm chair network admin? How can you (or anyone on these forums) make assessments without knowing the facts about what is going on?
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

iFail 5G to rradina

to rradina
said by rradina:

If this was the FIRST smart phone to hit Sprint's network, I might agree. However, there's nothing revolutionary here as other smart phones don't have the problem. That means someone didn't spend the necessary time on configuration management. Clearly, it's a config problem unless the chipset Apple chose required completely new drivers. (That would be dumb but par since Apple is very closed and likely doesn't like to pay licensing fees to another tech company that knows Sprint's network.)

Apple is using the standard CDMA approved and very popular Qualcomm chipset in the iPhone 4S. Qualcomm is the designer of CDMA and essentially every CDMA phone is digital by Qualcomm.
kernelpanic9
join:2010-07-06
Crowley, TX

kernelpanic9 to battleop

to battleop

Re: If it's not the newtork....

said by battleop:

... end users. Give them a chance and they will come up with some of the most assinine ways to fuck shit up.

Amen to that - and that applies to pretty much all technology, not just cell

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: If it's not the network...

Complex products are released everyday that stand the test of time without faults or design issues.

You guys seem to suggest a problem with BREAKING a device in someway, but widespread systemic problems are evidence to some type of hardware or software issue apart from being broken.

Placing the onus squarely on consumers, especially in a widespread seeming systemic problem is just screams incompetence.

battleop

battleop

I don't know that there is enough data to qualify this as a "widespread systematic" problem.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to battleop

to battleop
The problem occurred right away. That means there couldn't have been such an influx of iPhone customers as to melt Sprint's network. If their network is melting, then I stand corrected. However, since others seem to suggest that other phones don't have the same slowness, it's more likely an iPhone-specific issue.

Regarding the facts, again you are correct in that we don't have enough. This is speculation but it smells an awful lot like someone didn't test it adequately on Sprint's network. Maybe it's because Apple didn't give Sprint enough time. Maybe it's because someone was careless at Apple and ignored Sprint's test results that cited a problem.

Regardless, the consumer experience is negative since folks on Verizon and AT&T don't seem to be complaining about 4s network speed problems.

I will also admit that I'm giving Sprint the benefit of the doubt in that their network is solid and has sufficient capacity. If not, then there's going to be a lot of unhappy Sprint iPhone users who are already locked into a contract on a slow network.

There's also another possible explanation in that folks may have moved from AT&T to Sprint to save a buck and found out that AT&T's 3G is remarkably faster than Sprint's 3G. That's quite possible but...the basic assumption of this thread is that it's not their network and it's some sort of firmware issue that hopefully will be corrected with an update. If true, then it's a mighty sloppy effort from both Sprint and Apple.