uniqs
share rss forum feed

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:12

1 edit

[Classes] Body And Soul: The Priest Thread (4.2.X - 4.X.X)

Rejoice Priests, I have returned to the World of Warcraft. Well, I mean, I guess you don't have to rejoice, especially if you had a tendency to disagree with me in the past, but at the very least you should be pleased to see the glorious return of the fabled Priest Thread.

I ask that once more all Priest related discussion, questions, theory crafting, and the like (regardless of spec) be forwarded to this thread. I will personally be focusing on Priests of the Holy persuasion but Shadow and Discipline based discussion will be more than welcomed (and encouraged) as well.

Previous iterations of the Priest thread can be found below:

Mental Agility: The Priest Thread (4.X.X)
The Priest Thread (3.3.X)

Now then, as I've been gone from the game for a solid seven months at this point (which would cover two content patches and likely some pretty important changes) I have a bit of catching up to do. While I work towards getting myself familiar with high end Priest related theory crafting and play again I encourage the other Priests we have here that are knowledgeable to answer the questions I'm personally uncomfortable trying to field and to start stimulating and information discussions. Once again, this isn't just for healing, but rather all aspects of Priest play.

I hope this thread will prove to be as helpful and as informative as previous iterations were in the past. With all that in mind, have at it Priests.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Discipline Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

yneetwo

join:2011-10-19
Chesapeake, VA

Okay does anyone use charka because I feel it's a waste. Please prove me wrong I have seen some priest mana never drop when they use it.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1

Aren't supposed to keep chakra at almost 100% up time?

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE
reply to yneetwo

Aside from providing some kind of throughput through flat passive bonus or utility in addition to the change to our Holy Word spell...yeah, Chakra is mandatory.

If you are playing a Holy Priest and you are not using Chakra, you are doing it wrong. If you are "never seeing mana drop" you're also not talking about Level 85 Priests.

Chakra isn't an optional talent at 85 while healing, nor is the playstyle. If you are a Holy Priest and you are healing you will have Chakra and you will use it.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Discipline Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to Adalicia

Funny you should restart this thread again. I had shelved my main toon (rogue)last week as there is simply nothing left for me to do on him til 4.3. I dust off my priest last night. Havent played it in months and last time I did I was Holy spec-and all the nastiness that went with it prior to chakra change, healing changes, etc.

I respecced to Disc last night and research a little info and it plays well so far.Though to be honest, 1 night with this spec doesnt give a lot of insight.

What follows is some copy pasta for disc rotations (such as they are), correct any glaring problems as I too need help.

Priest Discipline Single Target Rotation 4.2
1. First priority is to get Power Word: Shield on the tank.

2. Whenever Penance is off cooldown, use it.

3. Heal should be your primary healing spell.

4. Only use Greater Heal when tank is taking serious damage.

5. Flash Heal should only be used in emergency situations. (takes up way to much mana).

Priest Discipline Multiple Target Rotation 4.2
1. Throw Power Word: Shield on whoever you think will be taking the most damage.

2. Use Prayer of Healing as your main Aoe heal.

3. Use Penance when it’s available.

4. Use Greater Heal spell for your spot heals.

5. Try not to use Flash Heal unless really needed.

Priest Discipline Glyphs 4.2
Prime: Glyph of Power Word: Shield, Glyph of Penance, Glyph of Prayer of Healing

Major: Glyph of Prayer of Mending, Glyph of Dispel Magic, Third one is up to you

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE

That looks like it would be correct.

A few things I'd add though...

There is no mention of Prayer of Mending. Regardless of spec, Prayer of Mending is a bread and butter spell. It has amazing throughput and mana efficiency. Prayer of Mending should be cast on the tank at the start of an encounter and used on every cooldown. In AoE damage situations it can dish out an amazing amount of healing.

Power Word: Barrier is a fine AoE mitigation tool. During the most stressing of group healing conditions where spreading out isn't mandatory this should also be considered.

Pain Suppression. During high spike damage portions of a fight (more specifically and generally on your tank) this is one of the single best external tank cool downs in the game. It should not be forgotten.

Power Infusion. Mana problems can be mitigated a bit by remembering to keep this up when you need it, or rather during heavy casting portions of an encounter where the extra haste will be nice and the reduced mana costs very helpful. Don't waste this on DPS anymore, we have our own shit to worry about.

You should be mitigating the mana cost with Inner Focus whenever you can.

Renew also isn't mentioned. While it isn't as powerful as the Holy version of it (due largely to talents and Chakra mechanics) it is still one of the single best HoT spells in the game. At the very least I'd think you'll be maintaining Renew on a tank and if the damage someone has taken isn't likely to be repeated any time soon it'd be a fine "mop" up spell for Discipline.

Flash Heal should never be used unless it can't be helped. This much is very true, but unless content has changed drastically (and my time revisiting heroics, including the newer remakes of Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub) you will find yourself using it more frequently then you'd like. Perhaps I had under geared tanks, perhaps the lack of CC, whatever the case, I did indeed have to use it more than a few times.

As Holy it is more excusable because at the very least you're getting Serendipity stacks which then can be turned towards that quick Greater Heal or Prayer of Healing. Discipline has no such luck.

And of course you have your normal bag of Generic Priest Cooldowns, meaning Shadowfiend, Hymn of Hope, and Divine Hymn. The first two are piece of mind for your mana bar, the last one your "Oh-Shit" group heal.

As for Glyphs? They look like they always have so I'd assume they're solid.
--

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to Skittles

said by Skittles:

Priest Discipline Single Target Rotation 4.2
1. First priority is to get Power Word: Shield on the tank.

2. Whenever Penance is off cooldown, use it.

>>>>>3. Heal should be your primary healing spell.

Ewwwwww.. I can't think of the last time I actual used heal on my disc priest.. Especially when tank healing.. Was this just 10 man, as I haven't really done many 25's this xpac outside of BH's even there I don't use it. Its bound, just never used.

It's all about HF, Smite x 5 archangel then go to town

That is as long as you are Archangel/Attonement specced, I honestly believe people that don't play disc regularly are afraid of the dsp to heal style, but as the spec I played my priest the entire Xpac, its legit.

Tank healing, raid healing melee it works wonders as its a smart heal, next patch with the attonement 100 yard buff it will be even better. HF is basically your fastest healing spell as with borrowed time it can easily be cast faster then the GCD.

I can't wait to disc heal in 4.3 with the Buff and hopefully having my Tarecgosa finished.. GG Smite spam attonement healing!!!

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

You want to at least pop 2 Heal to help reduce the CD on Weakend Sould of your target so you can another bubble up there ASAP. Good practice to get into
--
I'm not loafing. I work so fast I'm always finished.
If idiots could fly, this would be an airport.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA

That's only if your aren't attonement.. I was basically getting at non attonement is EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....

(yes I heal HM's with Attonement even with attonement haters everywhere)

Perhaps this al stems from the DPS I shelled out prior to Attonement healing..

Sup #1 world disc DPS on 25 H LK pre nerf LOLOLOL (had damn near 100% dot uptime on that hoe "p)

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to Adalicia

Thanks Ada. Your posts are always insightful.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Arsinic

Speaking from extremely limited experience as a Disc Priest I find that Smite healing was a bit of a coin flip for me. I was hesitant to stop clicking my mouse on the raid frames with constant heals and spam smite thinking that how could i EVER keep the tank and melee alive around a boss if i'm being THAT healer who thinks he's a dps? well, it turned out smite healing seems to be easy mode in atonement with an occasional penance, PoM, and consistent bubbling. I still try to maintain an easy 2 Heal rotation after laying a bubble (at least on the tank) in atonement though.
--
I'm not loafing. I work so fast I'm always finished.
If idiots could fly, this would be an airport.

ewave

join:2011-02-01
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Arsinic

Healing is for pussies. Shadow or GTFO!

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

said by ewave:

I'm glad this is being kept mature.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Adalicia

Thanks for starting this thread, Ada.

My priest is currently Shadow/AtonementDisc while I'm gearing her up, but soon she will drop shad for Holy.
Nathrezim: Malanorei

My healing "rotation":
-POM
-Bubble Tank
-Penance Tank
-Holy Fire + Smite X 4 for evangelism (boss fight) OR Smite X 5 (trash. can't justify mana cost for HF for trash that dies quickly)
-AA
-Smite healing for filler, heal for light dmg on ranged, Penance on CD

If tank need a big heal, bubble-hasted GHeal
If 3 or more soaking dmg bubble-hasted PoH

lots more situational things for the huge toolkit of spells, but these are the basics.

As shadow,
-PW:Pain
-Devouring Plague
-Vampiric Touch
-PW:Death
*check for shadow orb... if I have one, Mind Blast for buff+replenishment, else continue
-mindflay for dark evangelism (looking to mindflay for a shadow orb so I can fire off a mind blast, then back to stacking DE)
-Dark Angel
-refresh dots

then its all about keeping the VT, DP, SW:P, + MindBlast debuff on target, and empowered shadow on myself... SW:D on CD (but only if I can do it without allowing a buff/dot to drop).
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

I'm relieved to hear that's a bug - I thought I'd managed to bring my gaming to a whole new level of incompetence. ewok_kebab

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Adalicia

I've shelved my Warrior and am back to playing my good ol' sPriest. And will write up a few things that I feel are important for the guys who want to play sPriest PvP.

The IT department at my command has been Nazis lately though and are being real ass hats about people and their net use, so I'll drop in from time to time and try to make my posts worthwhile.

This time around my info will be from a PvP standpoint as I don't have time to raid anymore and honestly have much more fun pwning n00bs than slaying net dragons anyway.

I missed you Ada, thanks for coming back.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

yay Mc is back, and possibly some more vids ? yes? no?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

Yeah, but I won't put any out on my Priest right now...watching me die repeatedly is probably nearly as annoying as me actually dying repeatedly.

I haven't logged on this toon since about March...so my above average gear at the time is nearly worthless now, and I am having to grind honor for hours on end to even make myself relevant in a BG.

I did have a decent EOTS last night with 10 KBs and 0 deaths. Gotta love those double SW:D kb snipes!

I definitely plan on making some Priest vids when I get the gear to make them fun to watch.

I got offered revenue sharing from YouTube last week, so I need to make some new shit so I can possibly make some cash from it, lol.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

awesome gl with it

ewave

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Adalicia

said by Adalicia:

said by ewave:

I'm glad this is being kept mature.

Sorry. I can handle any shadow priest questions for PvE and PvP. I found healing so boring in FL that I switched back to shadow.

Unfortunately there really isn't much to be excited about in WoW these days.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

archangel ewave
said by ewave:

Unfortunately there really isn't much to be excited about in WoW these days.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth

classic

ewave

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Immer

Now I'm excited. Thanks Immer.

Treebark
Premium
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC
reply to Immer

I have tried opening up like that as Shadow, but I find throwing up Pain, 1 MF, Mindblast, Dev Plague, Vamp Touch nets more DPS.

Mind Blast on CD no matter what and SW Death while target is under 25%. Obviously keep up DoTs.

I was also Disc as offspec and was going to screw around with Holy since I have never played it. How is it in comparison to Disc?

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

You run out of mana every pull in dungeons. Circle of Healing is for the tank got a paper cut, Flash Heal if he got a bruise. Standing around with Chakra unactivated will make your ears bleed.

That's based on my experience with holy priests in 5 mans.

As for the time I tried holy ... I don't have enough fingers to play that spec. Good lord.

cent5

join:2011-03-03
Dublin, OH

said by Nick D:

As for the time I tried holy ... I don't have enough fingers to play that spec. Good lord.

An understandable statement. You need something like Healbot. You still have a ton of heals to choose from, but that's what makes a holy priest a holy priest. But with Healbot, it make life a LOT easier... and effective.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE
reply to Treebark

Holy is fun.

Chakra is an interesting mechanic though with no time on each stance it has been dumbed down.

Basically Serenity for Single Target, Sanctuary for group. PoM, Renew, Heal, HW: Serenity for tank healing with Greater Heal and Flash Heal when shit gets bad.

Lightwell, PoM, PoH, CoH, HW: Sanctuary for group healing, spot with Renew, Heal, Greater Heal, and Flash Heal as need be.

If you want to be really simple about it.

Stack the fuck out of Spirit. I got about 3890 Mp5 while in combat and some encounters are still rough.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Treebark

said by Treebark:

I have tried opening up like that as Shadow, but I find throwing up Pain, 1 MF, Mindblast, Dev Plague, Vamp Touch nets more DPS.

interesting... will give it a shot. =P

cent5

join:2011-03-03
Dublin, OH
reply to Treebark

said by Treebark:

I was also Disc as offspec and was going to screw around with Holy since I have never played it. How is it in comparison to Disc?

IMO Discipline is best for PVP because mana regen is not as important as it is in PVE and bubbles just seem to work very well in PVP. In PVE the fact that it isn't that mana efficient makes you pretty much avoid bubbles. So going holy is the answer. That's the biggest difference I know of.

Treebark
Premium
Havelock, NC
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

said by Treebark:

interesting... will give it a shot. =P

The last Shadow Priest I raided with did like a gazillion deeps and this is how he opened up too.

Treebark
Premium
Havelock, NC
reply to Adalicia

Thanks, I think I will try a regular heroic tonight as holy and see how it goes. The last time I attempted holy was before chakra and I didn't know WTF I was doing and quickly went back Disc.

I really enjoy disc but it seems that my gear and the way it is reforged would be better as Shadow/Holy. I don't really have alot of peices to swap out.