spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

promo0

join:2011-10-25
reply to Venom1

Re: [Classes] Body And Soul: The Priest Thread (4.2.X - 4.X.X)

said by Venom1:

Nice fan art! Thanks for posting

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

The aoe rotation is dependent on how close the mobs are to your Mind Sear target. If they are spread out, such as on the trash to Warlord, multidotting is the optimal aoe rotation.

There are two ways to do this. One is "ok", one is "zomg dps numbers".

The "ok" way is just the standard, put your dots on everything, pick a kill target and do your normal rotation.

The first way is to start an initial rotation on the main kill target (SW:P MFx5 /pray for a shadow orb MB VT DP). If you get that Shadow Orb to proc, immediately cast MB. This will put Empowered Shadow up on you (23% inc shadow damage, iirc.) Then, you want to put VT (highest DPET spell) and SW:P on each target within range.

Using Warlord Zon'ozz trash as an example, there are 3 flails, one eye and the BFT (big fucking tentacle.) Start your rotation on one of the flails. Then, once you get empowered shadow up, immediately stop your single target rotation and apply VT/SW:P to all other targets. Rinse repeat until all targets are dead.

The reason I recommend doing it this way is simple. With Empowered Shadows rolling, ALL your damage is increased. Plus, your dots, specifically VT/DP, will do less damage if applied when you are at less than 5 stacks of Evangelism (think old school shadow weaving.)

This is also apparent in the alternate situation, where the mobs are all together, you would cast Mind Sear. However, you want to still keep ALL your dots rolling on the main kill target (i.e. a boss with adds like Yor'sahj.) You also want to TRY to keep Evangelism at 5 stacks. You also want to keep Empowered Shadows up.

TL;DR

When AoEing:

1) ALWAYS keep your dots going on the main kill target.
2) If the adds are spread out, multidot.
3) If they are close together, mind sear.
4) Keep Evangelism at 5 stacks, if possible.
5) NEVER LET EMPOWERED SHADOWS DROP.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo

Treebark
Premium
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC

welcome back tirael, there is a priest on Dunemaul with your name.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to Derlos

said by Derlos:

Rotation is generally VT-SW:P-DP - MB on cd and mind flay. I SW:D when the boss is near dead.

Don't forget intellect food, flask, and potions. Pre-potting (obviously) is suggested to reach maximum DPS. (I know it can be expensive, but I'm an alchemist and am able to make my own, so it isn't that rough for me to make 200-300 potions at a time. If you can't afford to obtain a large amount of pots/flasks, save them for raids, etc.)

My opener looks like SW:P, DP, Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind-Dark Archangel(*proc*)-Flay, Shadow Fiend. Double SW:D can be thrown in sub 25% right before a Mind Blast cast. (The reason I start with SW:P and DP, is they are instant cast and can be used while running in. Improved DP is also our highest damage instant cast direct damage spell.)

Some use Fiend at the start...personally I like to delay it for a few seconds for trinket/synapse springs/power torrent procs...he inherits your statistics when he spawns, so the more procs you got lined up, the more dmg from your Fiend. It's been proven mathmatically that it is a DPS loss to try to sync up SF usage along with Dark AA. You more or less want to use them on CD. The only exception would be when you have less than 5 seconds before you have to refresh a dot, at which point you would want to refresh that DoT before activating AA.

Never, ever, ever, as long as it is possible, let Dark Evangelism fall off. 10% extra damage from your DoTs, just for using Mind Flay.

Refresh DoTs as needed and Mind Blast on CD, Mind Flaying like a motherfucker as filler.

said by Derlos:

Also, on trash I'm having trouble finding a rotation.

Like Immer said, for packs of 4 or fewer mobs, multi-dotting is best. Five or more mobs you may want to multi-dot a few and focus Mind Sear the tank, depending on the health of the mobs. If they will die rather quickly, just Sear the tank.

My multi-dot rotation looks like: SW:P, VT starting with the mobs with the lowest health. Normal rotation on Skull or highest health mob. Obviously, if there is a kill progression, DoT up Skull, then X, then Square, etc. in the kill order.

said by Derlos:

Focusing on Intel.

It's obvious that Intellect is our best statistic, gem and enchant for it when possible. Match gem sockets if the bonus is +20 intellect or higher. Try to get as close to 17% hit cap as yopu can (16% if Space Goat), this isn't as important to us as it would be to, say, an Arcane Mage or Destruction Warlock, due to the fact that many of our abilities are instant, and DoT ticks, once applied can't miss. (meaning once you have a DoT on a target, subsequent ticks of that application cannot miss.)

Past that, at your gear level, you want to reforge absolutely everything you can to haste. You want to shoot for ~2700 haste(without Dark Intent~2250 with it) in order to gain an extra tick on Vampiric Touch as well as have your Mind Blast cast time sync up well with your rotation. The next haste plateau you want to reach for is 3202, where you will gain an extra tick of Devouring Plague.

When you get your t12 2 piece set bonus (available via Justice Points now), your second most important secondary stat will be Critical Strike. Reforge all Mastery and Hit/Spirit (above cap) to Crit. The reasoning behind this is that the bonus gives you a 75 second reduction on the cooldown of Shadow Fiend, as well as a little extra damage on it's swings. The talent, Sin and Punishment reduces your SF cooldown by 10 seconds on Mind Flay crits. With a lucky crit streak it's possible to have your Fiend smackin' shit up every 90 seconds or so, a real nice DPS gain...not to mention the extra mana is pretty boss.

Don't forget you can use SW:D when the target's health is greater than 25% in order to get 10% of your mana back through the Masochism talent.

As soon as you can get into the raid finder and get ahold of 2 complimentary pieces of tier 13, you will notice a fat increase on SW:D damage, bonus is 55% increase on SW:D damage and 95% reduced self inflicted damage on SW:D use.

There is argument that 2 piece tier 12H and 2 piece tier 13 are more overall DPS than 4 piece tier 13. Not sure if that even matters to you at this point, but it is food for thought.

Well, there's my quick little shadow guide...most of which is rehashed from Kilee (»www.howtopriest.com) and Squinky (»www.shadowpriest.com)in my own words.

I hope it is helpful.

-Brain

--
Mcbrain, Goblin Shadow Priest, [Lock Down], Kil'Jaeden

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Tirael

said by Tirael:

once you get empowered shadow up, immediately stop your single target rotation and apply VT/SW:P to all other targets. Rinse repeat until all targets are dead.

The reason I recommend doing it this way is simple. With Empowered Shadows rolling, ALL your damage is increased. Plus, your dots, specifically VT/DP, will do less damage if applied when you are at less than 5 stacks of Evangelism (think old school shadow weaving.)

Good ass advice, I feel like an idiot for not doing it this way. Guess I shouldn't mail it in during trash anymore...I might have even more impressive numbers on those floppy basturds...not that it matters, but even I like to stroke my epeen every now and then.
--

Treebark
Premium
Havelock, NC

SW:P MF twice and fish for it,,,mind blast the put dots up are really good too.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

said by Treebark:

SW:P MF twice and fish for it,,,mind blast the put dots up are really good too.

Works well in situations like Ultraxion where you are stationary at the start.

A majority of encounters require movement on start to get into position...that's why I do it the way I do.

Neither is wrong, and one probably isn't better than the other. I'd have to sim them, but honestly I bet the difference isn't big enough to matter either way.
--

Treebark
Premium
Havelock, NC

I love you bro, where are you taking me out to dinner whne I get there March 1st.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to McBrain

Hey McBrain, do you have the shadow 4p yet? Have you tried the new opener with it?

Treebark
Premium
Havelock, NC

which opener are u talking about?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Tirael

Just got it Wednesday, havent tried yet.

You basically pop fiend and MF to get Dark AA, then spike/blast spam.
--

Treebark
Premium
Havelock, NC

word, ll nbe on all weekend, higt me up fpr lfr if u want man.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

said by Treebark:

word, ll nbe on all weekend, higt me up fpr lfr if u want man.

have another one you f&%%^in lush
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Treebark
Premium
Havelock, NC
reply to Adalicia

eat me, im sorry for bad spelling.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to Treebark

MF x 5 stacks of Evang, Arch, Fiend, MSx2 (with a cancelaura macro in for Mind Melt), MB, MSx5 (same cancelaura) MB - Normal Rotation
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo

djlar

join:2009-04-23

I just barely got the 2 Piece spriest gear.. SWD hits nicely..I was using it only when I had mana problems and at 25% HP.. now I use it on rotation (usually lines up with refresh of VT)..

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
reply to Adalicia

now that we have another awesome druid healer, I find that I'm spending a lot more time healing on my priest since we mostly run 10m and it's just better for the raid group. Who else heals on their priest?

Some 10m observations: 2 Disc priests in a 10m sucks for at least one of the priests. Probably would have been okay if one of us was a "Strength of Soul"... definitely would have been better if he hadn't had his role set as "dmg", lol. My throughput was awesome.. his suffered. I spent the rest of the raid healing as holy.

morchock: I like disc for this fight. Mainly because of all the movement for the shards and whatnot... healing throughput suffers when I go holy because I can't get the most out of HW:Sanctuary.

Zon'ozz: Holy wins this one. Better use of HW:Sanct. Lightwell is godly here (as long as it gets clicked, buy I like to put it between the melee and ranged groups). This isn't to say disc doesn't perform super strongly, especially when running in the melee group.

Yor'Sahj: I'd say this one is a draw... As disc I like adding to the dps on slimes (so if your raid dps is on the low end, go atonement disc). Holy has its strengths here, especially if you can manage to avoid any purple or green slime buffs. personally would rather be disc, but I can't make a definitive argument for either here.

Hagara: Disc. hands-down, disc is awesome for this fight. I hated healing it as holy this past weekend. everyone all over the place means I was Renew botting whenever I got a chance. Lightwell placement is still a bit of a mystery to me on this fight. Seems I'd put one down, and the whole raid would move away from it, lol.

Addons: I highly recommend PowerAurasClassic for all healing, but especially priest healing. nothing beats having a visual & audio alert for all those amazing tools (PoM off CD, CoH avail, Pennance avail, Lightwell ready, Evangelism fully stacked, Fiend ready, Barrier available, power infusion, pain suppression, guardian spirit, etc.) a priest has to be ready to use.
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego
"You never truly know someone... until you fight them"

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA

Ingela's Rapture Tracker.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

said by Tirael:

Ingela's Rapture Tracker.

I'll check it out. I use a powa for that, too (visual only... ran out of unique sounds, lol).

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA

I am too busy explaining diminishing returns to someone to make fun of you for using power auras to tell you when your abilities are off CD. I just watch my combat text.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

said by Tirael:

I am too busy...to make fun of you for using power auras to tell you when your abilities are off CD. I just watch my combat text.

lol, whatever. I'm glad that works for you.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA

I use MSBT, so it gives audio warnings as well (i.e. I am just as bad as you, I just use less addons.)
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

said by Tirael:

I use MSBT, so it gives audio warnings as well (i.e. I am just as bad as you, I just use less addons.)

haha... hey now, POWA is just one addon, too! lol.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

Doom CooldownPulse is a good light weight addon to track when shit comes off cooldown.

It just pulses a picture of the spell icon in the middle of your screen when it is ready.
--

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to Adalicia

I have to say POWA is one of my favortie addons. Ill have to throw up a SS of my priests set up. I dont look at combat text on my priest so POWA, rapture timer and grid and GTG

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Tirael

Tirael,

You got any suggestions for combat text besides MSBT? I like the customization of it (when I land a crit it says "BITCH SLAP!", lol), but even when I trim the fat, there seems to be too much going on with it for me.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

Adalicia uses and recommends Parrot (I'm not using any combat text mod). You can set up zones of your screen where specific types of information show up.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

I tried Parrot at the end of Wrath...couldn't get a grasp/didn't take the time to work out the kinks.

I think I am going to ditch scrolling combat text all together and opt to only see crits from the default UI.
--

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA

That would be my suggestion. I like MSBT, but the default SCT is just fine.

yneetwo

join:2011-10-19
Chesapeake, VA
reply to Adalicia

Okay question I got my priest to 85 and got into HoT (yay for me after 5 years finally got one to max level) anyway I was wondering if anyone could look at my gear and tell me why I only pulled 10k on the last boss( i think his name was benditus(sp)). I thank you for your time reading this. BTW my priest name is yneeone.