spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

[ALL] Gateway First Impressions

Overall the Shaw Home Total Gateway is now operating as best it can. I say this because the techs that were out yesterday brought all the signals within the house within spec properly. I'd give the system a B+ overall. Here are some things to be resolved still and its the little things that bug people.

1) Sound cuts out for a split second intermittent like once or twice and hour on some channels. (not sure the cause could be the the hdmi cable (we used shaw's new cable for the install.) Something with the Gateway or portal. The issue does not occur when using other devices on my tv and the surround sound system but could be a delay from the cable box through the TV to the Surround Sound System.

2) Channels 209,210,and 213 are missing the ID Logo's in both guides.

3) I miss using the shaw universal remote for everything including the cable terminal which I can no longer do, guess I have to go buy a LG remote now, I can't even control the sound on the same remote I use to change channels now, and every time I asked about it none of the techs on the phone or on site seem willing to point me in the right direction on how to program my volume control for my surround sound into the cable box remote which I guess is not possible.

4) Episode information needs to show what season and what episode of that season it is. So that we can ensure our TV shows are watch and recorded in the correct order for the series.

* Note: Getting used to the menu system takes a little time, but seems bulky and cumbersome with the exception of the quick link buttons on the remote.

ShawX
@shawcable.net

ShawX

Anon

I found the same issues you did for the most part.

1) Sound cut outs happen on one of the three portals but not the other two, in my situation anyway.

3) I was able to program the volume for my audio system into the remote after a few attempts. Using the remote instructions and some quick internet searches and I was set.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
said by pkarlos_76:

Overall the Shaw Home Total Gateway is now operating as best it can. I say this because the techs that were out yesterday brought all the signals within the house within spec properly. I'd give the system a B+ overall. Here are some things to be resolved still and its the little things that bug people.

1) Sound cuts out for a split second intermittent like once or twice and hour on some channels. (not sure the cause could be the the hdmi cable (we used shaw's new cable for the install.) Something with the Gateway or portal. The issue does not occur when using other devices on my tv and the surround sound system but could be a delay from the cable box through the TV to the Surround Sound System.

2) Channels 209,210,and 213 are missing the ID Logo's in both guides.

3) I miss using the shaw universal remote for everything including the cable terminal which I can no longer do, guess I have to go buy a LG remote now, I can't even control the sound on the same remote I use to change channels now, and every time I asked about it none of the techs on the phone or on site seem willing to point me in the right direction on how to program my volume control for my surround sound into the cable box remote which I guess is not possible.

4) Episode information needs to show what season and what episode of that season it is. So that we can ensure our TV shows are watch and recorded in the correct order for the series.

* Note: Getting used to the menu system takes a little time, but seems bulky and cumbersome with the exception of the quick link buttons on the remote.

1) I don't have this problem
2) Sometimes the logos will repopulate after rebooting the whole system?
3) I use a logitech harmony remote, works really well. Instructions are on Digital Home forums for how to set it up. I've never used the gateway remotes.
4) Fantastic idea!
5) For some reason Big Bang Theory records any episodes, event though it is set to accept only new episodes.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

4) The Bell PVRs have that data, so the infomation is available, it would be a great feature on all Shaw terminals

It gets my vote.

Has anybody tried the regular Atlas remote with the Portals? There is a remote code for it, 1187

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

2 edits

pkarlos_76

Looks like my Portal just crashed and did a complete reboot, unless someone can tell me it was an update to the firmware/software tonight!! Is this common for anyone else?
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

I've never had my portal crash and reboot, but I have had it lose connection to the gateway and require a reboot.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

Well since that time that it occurred it hasn't done it again. However, I noticed one key critical issue that occurs is that without a reboot of the gateway weekly, the clock on the gateway gets out of sync by unto 3 minutes thus impacting PVR Recording of a entire show or movie b missing unto the first 3 minutes of the show. I have circumvented this by setting the recording to record at least a minute early and end at least a minute later. I wish I knew where we could report this issue to the software developers directly, perhaps shawsean can tell us how to get our bugs directly to the guys maintaining the software for the gateway. I would think he gateway should check and adjust its clock daily.
pkarlos_76

pkarlos_76

OH and and one rather majorly annoying issue is the Gateway PVR is recording CSI Miami as CSI New York and displaying it as CSI New York in the Recorded show listing even though I wanted CSI New York and not CSI Miami. Seems its misidentifying the shows.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to pkarlos_76

Premium Member

to pkarlos_76
*wonders*

How does the system get out of time, when the time is a constant signal in the cable line.

Do you by chance have your Gateway connected to an Online-UPS system (One that doesn't switch when the power goes out, it constantly runs on battery power, and a battery charger).

One of the buildings I used to work at, the building's power was 58Hz not 60, and the plug-in clocks would need to be adjusted frequently. But not by minutes every week.

With your CSI infomation, when it is actually recording, does the info say CSI Miami, or CSI NY? Curious if the guide info is wrong, or the Gateway is doing it? That is an interesting issue, I guess they both are.
classical
join:2003-02-13
ca

2 edits

classical to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
I haven't experienced the issue with the clock going out of sync thus affecting recordings. I've noticed audio dropouts every now and then, too, but I've also noticed that with some of the Motorola boxes I used to have (I can't remember if all of my Motos had this problem because I just got used to it after a while).

My general impression of the Gateway system after almost four weeks of ownership is that it has more than a few glitches, bugs, aberrations, annoyances, etc., but none of them I would consider "fatal flaws" that have caused me to regret my purchase decision. I should say, however, that before I made my purchase, I already knew about the various bugs that I might encounter because I had read about it here or on other forums. So I took the plunge knowing full well what might be in store for me and deciding it was still worth it, anyway, with the expectation that future firmware updates will solve most (if not all) of the issues.

If I had purchased the Gateway system believing that it was a fully mature system--presumably like the majority of customers who wouldn't think to read the online forums first--I would certainly have a different opinion. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that they're essentially paying to beta test a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time system and feeling a bit pissed off about it. I'm just glad I knew about the warts and all ahead of time.

Just_In
@shawcable.net

Just_In

Anon

pkarlos_76, I have the same problem as you:
"Sound cuts out for a split second intermittent like once or twice and hour on some channels."
Has anyone found a fix for that yet?

ShawX
@shawcable.net

ShawX to pkarlos_76

Anon

to pkarlos_76
Well I ran into major audio cut outs last night when watching a recorded episode of The Simpson's.

It was to the point of almost being un-watchable at times.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

I wonder if this is a firmware issue.....

ShawX
@shawcable.net

ShawX to pkarlos_76

Anon

to pkarlos_76
I tried a recording of the Simpson's today on the TV downstairs right beside the gateway. No sound issues what so ever.

Went to the up stairs TV that had issues last night and the recording up there has sound issues.

What is going on? Internal wiring issue? Seems odd...

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
*watching this thread*

- just so you're aware guys, I've noted the main issues you're having and i'm investigating further.
ShawSean

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
Those of you having sound issues, can you provide some information about your setup?

- What kind of TV do you have?
- Is the HDMI direct from portal to TV?
- Have you tried any other HDMI ports?
- If not directly connected, have you tried with the same result?

Thanks.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

said by ShawSean:

Those of you having sound issues, can you provide some information about your setup?

Thanks.

1) LG 42LE5400 Broadband TV Bought December 2010
2) Used Shaw HDMI cable provided
3) Not Yet
4) Not sure what you mean by not directly, but I always connect directly and let the TV output to a Sony Receiver

P.S. I currently only have one HDTV in the house at the moment. Also I don't notice it very much, although it does seem to occur on certain channels more it appears, but I am not sure of this.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
Could you have the portal feed the Receiver and then it feed the TV?

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

said by ShawSean:

Not enough hdmi ports on the receiver for all my 4 devices.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

Monoprice 4 port HDMI switch

I use one of these, works like a charm, compatible with Logitech remote.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

Well none of my other devices has sound issues, just the portal if that tells shawsean something and it was occurring today on channel 32 today.
pkarlos_76

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
said by ShawSean:

Do you really want me to test this configuration, it would be quite a hassle and cost money and probably not useful since none of the other hdmi devices have sound issues?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
No, I don't want you to go out and spend money just to troubleshoot, was hoping you had some additional cables. Hopefully the others posting might reply with their configurations.
ShawSean

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
Another option you guys can try is by adjusting the audio settings from Dolby to Stereo and then back to Dolby. This may correct the issue.

Just_In
@shawcable.net

Just_In to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
In response to ShawSean’s questions:

I have 3 portals all connected differently and all with audio (and video) issues:

1a) Samsung HDTV
2a) HDMI out from portal to Pioneer receiver then to TV
3a) No – I have not tried other HDMI ports.
4a) Component out direct to TV has same problem. I have have not tried HDMI out direct to TV yet.

1b) Sharp HDTV
2b) HDMI out from portal directly to TV
3b) No – I have not tried other HDMI ports.
4b) N/A - It is direct connected.

1c) Sylvania TV
2c) Component out direct to TV.
3c) TV does not have HDMI ports.
4c) N/A - It is direct connected.

Thanx, Justin
Cornat
join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC

Cornat

Justin, the issue Sean's troubleshooting here is related to intermittent audio dropouts, no video issues. It sounds like you're having general signal issues. I'd recommend calling Shaw to get your signal checked.

Just_In
@shawcable.net

Just_In

Anon

OK - At first it seemed to be an audio-only issue, but there is also intermittent audio/video cutouts. Guess I'll get on the phone with Shaw service...
Thanx

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

Interesting.
pkarlos_76

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Jus a FYI I was watching 16x9 show off of the VOD service and experienced the audio issue briefly.
pkarlos_76

pkarlos_76

So I found a feature lacking from the gateway which is a way to confirm that a show, event, or movie has been preordered. Ie I ordered wwe survivor series 2011 on Friday for Sunday 20th, but the device shows. No confirmation that the show has been ordered on our end, ie it also allows you to buy the show again even it was preordered befor.