spc
Search similar:

uniqs

duckdown
join:2005-02-17
Brampton, ON

duckdown

[Extreme Plus] rogcesadmin login no longer working 10/26/2011

Can anyone else confirm that the 'rogcesadmin' login is no longer working on SMC3DGN router/modem ?

I'm having some network trouble at home and rebooted my router earlier thinking it might help, and I can no longer login using the usual l/p I had stored.

Is anyone else noticing any weird network problems with this hardware today?

Please let me know, thanks in advance

cheers

Muranal
@ryerson.ca

Muranal

Anon

Re: [Extreme Plus] rogcesadmin login no longer working 10/26/201

they recently did an upgrade to thier firmware, had same issue cannot get into rogcesadmin...

Frustrated
@rogers.com

Frustrated to duckdown

Anon

to duckdown
I got a F/W upgrade on Monday (around 6.30am), and since then have had no end of troubles with my wireless. LAN ports are fine, but my WiFi is seriously screwed up. Have been back to the Rogers store twice for new N gateways, as I originally thought that was the issue, but now am not so sure.

Done all the usual troubleshooting (with and without Rogers techs). Changed encryption type, channel, bandwidth allocation (20 -> 20/40 and back), etc but the wireless still keeps dropping connection.

Doesn't matter what wireless device either (laptop, tablet, phone), they all have issues. Have a call due with Tier 2 support today, to see if I can get the old firmware back, as that worked fine.

New firmware causing the problem is 1.4.0.44-DNS-RRR
Frustrated

Frustrated

Anon

Follow-up to above. Seems the issue is if you have multiple wireless devices on your network. If I shut down all bar 1 device, I have no issues. The second I try to connect more than one device, it kills the wireless.

Spoke to Rogers about it, and they said they were aware of some issues with some clients, and were' Working on a fix". No timescale given, but I expect another firmware update to be pushed out at some point

Time to source that Motorola Surfboard........

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Or ask Rogers to turn off the wireless gateway functions on the SMC and then hang your own wifi router on there.

It works reasonably well as a modem only.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

What a bunch of hogwash, especially for people that PURCHASED these things for $200. Poof Rogers updates the firmware and poof you cant change certain things.

I'd be calling asking for a refund.

Jeanus
@rogers.com

Jeanus to duckdown

Anon

to duckdown
Is there anyway to change your mac address through cusadmin or do you need to do it through rogcesadmin?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to Frustrated

Premium Member

to Frustrated
said by Frustrated :

If I shut down all bar 1 device, I have no issues. The second I try to connect more than one device, it kills the wireless.

My sister has had that problem since she got the SMC gateway over a year ago. They've changed it out 3 times, no difference.

The SMC gateway is a POS.

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6 to duckdown

Premium Member

to duckdown
said by duckdown:

Can anyone else confirm that the 'rogcesadmin' login is no longer working on SMC3DGN router/modem ?

The question remains, did they change the login to a router that you bought ?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

They've routinely done this.

Stewy6
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

They've routinely done this.

*sigh*

I'll say this again, I hope that everyone realizes that by not turning off the wireless gateway functions on the SMC3DGN and using your own router, you are technically allowing Rogers to basically view everything on your internal network.

Frustrated
@rogers.com

Frustrated to Stewy6

Anon

to Stewy6
@Stewy

Well, I bought the router, but Rogers still won't give me the login details. Seems the firmware upgrade has wiped the old (rogcesadmin) info, and they've refused to hand over what the new admin login details are (claiming they didn't know... Yeah right !)

Any suggestions (apart from buying a new router from someone other than Rogers)

duckdown
join:2005-02-17
Brampton, ON

duckdown to Stewy6

to Stewy6
Yes. We bought it. And yes, they changed it without our permission or even without our knowledge.

They are real scumbags here at Rogers, what a bunch of lowlifes..

Guess we need someone to brute force the new admin password again..

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to Frustrated

Mod

to Frustrated
Actually, the front line folks don't know. They have a program they run and it does the login for them.
twizzler66
join:2011-06-25
Guelph, ON

twizzler66 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Issues like this are why I purchased a stand alone modem and switched to TSI......

Rogers needs to start providing stand alone modems for their customers.

Stewy6
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6 to duckdown

Premium Member

to duckdown
said by duckdown:

Yes. We bought it. And yes, they changed it without our permission or even without our knowledge.
They are real scumbags here at Rogers, what a bunch of lowlifes..
Guess we need someone to brute force the new admin password again..

My opinion is that Rogers by employing this type of "access" are using a faulty business procedure under the The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. (PIPEDA)

The only way companies like this will learn is to file a complaint or an incident to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner under a privacy breach to The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Otherwise it's business as usual and they will continue to play dumb and put you at extreme personal risk to your data and privacy rights.

»www.priv.gc.ca/I_I/guide ··· ntenttop
»www.priv.gc.ca/resource/ ··· ro_e.cfm

A privacy breach occurs when there is unauthorized access to, or collection, use, or disclosure of, personal information. Such activity is “unauthorized” if it occurs in contravention of applicable privacy legislation, such as PIPEDA,

Just because you are paying for an apparently "dumb" pipe internet doesn't give them the right to change the login credentials on a piece of equipment inside your own home without your knowledge or consent.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I wonder if one can file a complaint with the CCTS over this.

For people that bough these modems, this is a slap in the face.

Stewy6
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

I wonder if one can file a complaint with the CCTS over this. For people that bough these modems, this is a slap in the face.

Power does what it wants, and now they’re just more naked about it. Now they just put it right out front and say, "This is what we’re doing to you folks". And everybody’s got a cell phone that makes pancakes, so they don’t want to rock the boat. They don’t want to make any trouble. The people have been bought off by gizmos and toys in this country, and no one questions things anymore. - George Carlin
steve_9364
join:2011-11-19

steve_9364

Hey Stewy,

I have been a Rogers customer for my internet for a while now (I made the STUPID decision to purchase the extreme modem thinking it would save me in the long run and I did not want to have a term contract) and I have been using the admin (rogcesadmin) account for some time. I recently noticed the password change, came here, read the posts and am now in a battle with the office of the president to get the password. It is really not about the fact that I NEED all the available options to do what I want it's more the fact that I spent the money and got half the product. Since the office of the president is going to do me a "fat lot of good" and I hate getting screwed by the man, this is probably going to result in the termination of my Rogers account and the switch to Teksavvy.

Anyway, what I am really writing to you about is filing a complaint with the CCTS. I don't really care what happens to the complaint (I get the feeling there are dollar bills that make complaints like this go missing) I just want one submitted so that I can feel better about that situation. What I was wondering is if you could let me know what parts of the PIPEDA this is going against. I looked at your links and it looks like the first one is broken. The document itself is huge (»laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/ ··· s/P-8.6/) but I am going to go through it and make the complaint regardless. If you had any ideas where I could start that would be great.

Pal
@teksavvy.com

Pal to duckdown

Anon

to duckdown
I too can no longer log in to do my business... I bought my SMC from rogrers (brain fart) after a while I dumped rogers service for their horrible attitude. I use TS now and have been very happy, till now. How can rogers, a service I don't even use, lock me out of my own modem and without my permission?!! It's like having to get the dealership to pop the hood of you car every time you want to check the oil or add washer fluid.... While I accept and understand that upgrades may be required from time to time. I gave permission to no one to gimp the modem I own. Has anyone talk to SMC manufacturer about changing to a non RRR firmware.. or is that even available? Has anybody got the previous firmware ver to undo rogers bad intentions??

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

You can't change the firmware from the customer side of that modem.

Pal
@teksavvy.com

Pal to duckdown

Anon

to duckdown
Talked to my Internet provider TS. They told me to try SMC, but not to hold my breath.
I suffered through a long try at SMC customer service... talked to a supervisor...(no help) SMC is a customer service black hole.... My money went in. Nothing comes out.... Their only interest is to disown the SMCD3NG-RRR.

Correct me if I'm wrong but RES and the RRR are the same modem with different firmware..... so why can't we flash over from RRR to RES..? The answer, Rogers nonsense.....!!!!

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Why? Because we don't have the physical ability to do it. Unless of course you have the equivalent of a CMTS kicking around.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Pal

to Pal
said by Pal :

so why can't we flash over from RRR to RES..? The answer, Rogers nonsense.....!!!!

The answer is that DOCSIS gives complete control of devices to the network operator so the network operator can upgrade firmware on rogue devices. Makes no sense to enable end-users to flash their own unsupported, potentially compromised, hacked, etc. firmware on a shared network where it may disrupt service to other subscribers. The ability for subscribers to TFTP into earlier modems and tweak configuration files caused cablecos many headaches in the past, I doubt cablecos have any desire to go back to those days.

Stewy6
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6 to duckdown

Premium Member

to duckdown
then Rogers should be able to offer a modem only device as an option. This is unacceptable, reason being they could reboot the modem and fine, but here they could upgrade/reset/reboot the router with a high possibility to take out your gateway access leaving your VoiP E911 dead until you call Rogers and beg them to fix it.

Unethical, unacceptable and dangerous.

Pal
@teksavvy.com

Pal to InvalidError

Anon

to InvalidError
InvalidError....

Your words have no meaning!!! Rogers problems are their own and should have nothing to do with me and my property. I own my modem outright. I am not a Rogers internet customer. They have NO right to disable any of my private equipment...!!!

While I understand the need for firmware upgrades I limit that to facilitate functionality. It is highly unethical to pass Rogers problems onto non customer privately owned devices. In fact it displays blatant disregard for private property. Rogers has to find some grey matter to solve their own headaches, not pass them on to non customer private equipment owners........ I am not in business to solve Rogers headaches,in fact I could care less. I do care about the functioning, interference of the operation of, and the disabling of my private property.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Pal :

Your words have no meaning!!! Rogers problems are their own and should have nothing to do with me and my property. I own my modem outright.

Your modem still needs to play nice with all the other modems and other devices present on the node and that's why the firmware update procedure is built straight into the DOCSIS ranging process so cablecos can easily push firmware updates when fixes for problematic devices become available.

You may own the device but the incumbent owns the wires and DSLAMs/CMTS. Accepting firmware updates is just one of many conditions to using their network. They could just as easily refuse connections from non-authorized devices and firmware versions.

Pal
@teksavvy.com

Pal

Anon

Addressing only the needs of Rogers is not helpful... You fail to address the issue. The unsolicited disabling of my private property. My concern is not what Rogers may or may not require. My concern is my private property and the unsolicited disabling of same. Please try to focus on my privacy and private property issue not talk around them as that is not helpful. Yes they own most of the equipment but NOT all. Ownership of outside equipment is not the issue... Their ownership stops at my walls... Yes that's right...
`Requiring standards for hookup is one thing...reaching into my home, to my private equipment, to service their needs by disabling my property is a totally different, and WRONG. I consider it an invasion of my privacy...
I am not against Rogers pushing firmware that facilitates upgrades. I told you as much. Disabling my modem is not facilitating any such thing. My property has been disabled with out my request or permission and now is limited in functionality. Not being a Rogers subscriber I don`t have tech support and can`t even have them put me in bridge mode. should I care to go there.

You say, Rogers needs and Rogers wants.....If you don`t already work for Rogers you should ask them for a job on the big red wall. Maybe run the Rogers Advocacy Forum. I mistook this place for a help forum..... My bad....

Rogers is not the only party that deserves consideration....

It makes NO difference who owns the DSLAM the CMTS or the monkey on the big red wall. That has nothing to do with disabling my private property. PRIVATE PROPERTY is the issue.
The argument is about my private property. Inside my home!!!!
and the unsolicited disabling of my private property.

I couldn't even get you to address my actual issue...
Help is what I was looking for not Rogers advocacy...

thanks anyway

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Pal's absolutely correct. It's one thing to push firmware upgrades, but it's another entirely to disable options in the firmware (that should only apply to Rogers owned devices.)

It's as nefarious as some of the car companies using proprietary computer interfaces that they won't release info and why OBCD was introduced.

Pal
@teksavvy.com

Pal

Anon

Sbrook thanks so much for understanding...

Quoting a buddy:

No problem with Firmware upgrades. BIG PROBLEM with touching the ROUTER Portion of the modem. Modem = 1 part Flash away

Router = second part. DON'T TOUCH THIS IS THE "GateWAY and CONTROL PORTION TO A LAN!!!!!!! NOT THE WAN!!!!!!!!!!"