uniqs
share rss forum feed

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to Guspaz

Re: [Rant] Holy Hard Drive rip off

said by Guspaz See Profile
I just bought 5x Western Digital 3TB drives from DirectCanada for an average of $150.77 each, not five minutes ago.

[/BQUOTE :

yeah those are Green drives

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to Doonz
said by Doonz:

Everyone will be affected because the only manafacturer of hdd motors is in thailand under water.

Anyone got a couple of million in captial? I think we could start up a hdd motor factory right here in Canada in the middle of the canadian shield and make a good profit about now.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by Doonz:

BTW here is Neweggs latest price

HITACHI Deskstar H3IK30003272SW (0S03208) 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $259.99 was $164.99 three days ago

I just bought 5x Western Digital 3TB drives from DirectCanada for an average of $150.77 each, not five minutes ago.

Basically, DirectCanada seems to be selling two SKUs of the same model (WD30EZRX). One is $156.04, unlimited per customer. The other is $192.24, one per customer. I think the cheaper one is old stock that, and when they're gone, they're gone.

For some reason, when I looked at my shopping cart, I had one of the $192.24 drives in my cart for $129.69. I must have added it to my cart a few weeks ago and for some reason my shopping cart was still valid.

Anyhow, I got one of them (one per customer) and four of the others, to get me:

1x 129.69
4x 156.04
Subtotal: 753.85
Insurance/shipping: 11.31
Tax: 38.26
Total: $803.42

Not as good as if I got them all at $130 maybe, but considering how much a 2TB drive costs today, I think that I got a pretty good deal to get 3TB for an average of $150 each!

Thanks Guspaz, I just ordered 2.
Shopbot is badly out of date... they are still listing the drives at 147.99 at PC-Canada,but when you got there, they are 190!
--
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
reply to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

said by Doonz:

Everyone will be affected because the only manafacturer of hdd motors is in thailand under water.

Anyone got a couple of million in captial? I think we could start up a hdd motor factory right here in Canada in the middle of the canadian shield and make a good profit about now.

Trying to source hard drives is becoming rediculous. A few of our vendors now are saying that there will be a freeze on the sales. Only Nas/Servers will be elligible for multiple hard drive purchases

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to Doonz
said by Doonz:

Precisely, I wouldn't put anything else in my file server.

EDIT: Hmm, DC sent me an invoice showing them billing and then refunding my credit card, but my online order status hasn't changed...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by Guspaz:

said by Doonz:

Precisely, I wouldn't put anything else in my file server.

You saw the threads where I had to RMA about 10+ of these in less than a year?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
said by donoreo:

You saw the threads where I had to RMA about 10+ of these in less than a year?

No, but I've got 7 of them, running for 2-4 years, and no problems so far.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Guspaz
I just got a phone verification, so I should be good to go.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
I got an e-mail talking about phone verification but then the order progress skipped right past that and kept going. I did pass price verification too. I'm now sitting at "Order Processing"

A friend of mine just pointed out a dropshipper who is still selling the 2TB drives for $90ish:

»www.agileelectronics.ca/prod_det···WD20EARS

I've not used them before, but he says he has.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Pricey but cheaper then anyone else, and better value then the 3TB drives.
I'm gonna see about cancelling the Direct Canada deal.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
I called DC to see what's up with my order. The guy said that they'll cancel my order because they have no HDDs and their supplier said they won't get any new ones for 6 to 8 *months*.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

1 edit
Yeah I was told they were limiting to 1 per customer and they had no stock just the same.

It's going to get really bad for awhile, screw up the entire industry big time.

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
reply to elwoodblues
Yeah like i said Sourcing a Hard drive is going to be almost impossible.

And 3tb > 2tb in density

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Pssst, wanna buy a hard drive?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
I just ordered 2 2tb's from Agile, they say they have 91 in stock, let see if they process the order(and they charged me 1% more for AMEX, I'll be contacting Amex about that one..)

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Pssst, wanna buy a hard drive?

No kidding.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues
I found that my NCIX cart had an grandfathered price of $140 for the 3TBs, so I'm trying to buy five of them with a plea in the order processing note field to let me buy more than two.

The futureshop across the street also has in stock Seagate GoFlex 3TB external drives for $140, I may try to buy five of them. Can always return them...

EDIT: Nah, the seagate drives in those things are Barracuda XT drives. They run at 7200RPM and they run hot, and I cram these things in 5 drives to a 3x5.25" bay.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to elwoodblues
Heh, funny how a 1TB WD Black costs more now than they did when I bought two of them two summers ago.

WD has had some completely insane price hikes right now. Seagate have gone up too, just not nearly as bad (or at least so far, who knows what will happen in the next few weeks)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit
said by Gone:

Heh, funny how a 1TB WD Black costs more now than they did when I bought two of them two summers ago.

WD has had some completely insane price hikes right now. Seagate have gone up too, just not nearly as bad (or at least so far, who knows what will happen in the next few weeks)

They are treated like a commodity, I don't think the manufacturers have raised prices per se as much as the distributors and retailers.

Look at RAM, the bottom has dropped out of the market, I got a e-flyer TigerDirect for 16gb of RAM for 100 bucks. (not value ram either)
--
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I found that my NCIX cart had an grandfathered price of $140 for the 3TBs, so I'm trying to buy five of them with a plea in the order processing note field to let me buy more than two.

The futureshop across the street also has in stock Seagate GoFlex 3TB external drives for $140, I may try to buy five of them. Can always return them...

EDIT: Nah, the seagate drives in those things are Barracuda XT drives. They run at 7200RPM and they run hot, and I cram these things in 5 drives to a 3x5.25" bay.

Nope you will be declined Only Nas and Server Builds are elligible for multiple hdd purchases

From NCIX website

"i everyone, please note that ALL hard drives are on allocation. There is severe flooding in Thailand and it is affecting global supply. We are implementing a limit of 2 hard drives per customer until we hear otherwise.

*System builds and storage solutions do not have this restriction*

We apologize for the inconveniences this may cause!
Remember to keep Thailand in your thoughts."

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to elwoodblues
Couple of things I'm curious about is what will happen to supply and prices in a month or two, and how this affects PC makers like Dell. All PC makers will have to pass on the price hikes to their customers so they're all in the same boat that way, but some may face supply shortages. All hinges on how fast they can get up and running again.

No doubt there are companies making drives places other than Thailand, but they're not going to be able to supply the whole market and they're getting swept along with the huge price hikes in a commodity market.

I was glad I had a spare 2 TB WD Caviar Black purchased months ago but lo and behold, had a disk crash right in the middle of this disaster and decided to get a second one at an outrageous price as a backup drive.

BTW, I have never had a Western Digital totally fail on me, ever, and this was no exception -- the failure was a piece of shit Seagate that had come with an otherwise solid Dell. I realize it's not very scientific to make sweeping generalizations based on disk brands but I have just never been comfortable with Seagate or even Hitachi. This particular Seagate was one of many, many models famous for the firmware bricking itself, although according to the label it had supposedly upgraded firmware. However the symptom (drive seen in BIOS, size 0 GB) is exactly one of the firmware bricking symptoms. If Seagate HQ was around here I would throw it through their window. I understand their president was sacked not too long ago.
--
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -- a corollary of Murphy's Law
"A dog is like a child who never grows old ... always there to love and be loved" -- Aaron Katcher

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Look at RAM, the bottom has dropped out of the market, I got a e-flyer TigerDirect for 16gb of RAM for 100 bucks. (not value ram either)

I paid $75 for 16GB at Christmas. $100 isn't that great of a deal.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

Couple of things I'm curious about is what will happen to supply and prices in a month or two, and how this affects PC makers like Dell. All PC makers will have to pass on the price hikes to their customers so they're all in the same boat that way, but some may face supply shortages. All hinges on how fast they can get up and running again.

Depending how long this "shortage" goes on, I don't think they will be affected,they would have long term deals with the manufacturers and I would surmise they would get first crack at any product that was being produced.

Dell has never been CHEAP when it comes to hard drives, I can't count the number of times I've chastised my rep for quoting me SIGNIFICANTLY prices then I can get from my local retailer. I would always buy the smallest drive I could get away with and buy local for additional storage.

This will affect the smaller mom and pop storage vendors (like the one I deal with) they don't really stock products and order as they need.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Gone
Depends.. what kind of RAM?
They are flogging Kingston HyperX for that price.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Nevermind, realized I was thinking of each of the 8GB packs.

I paid less than $50 for an 8GB DDR3-1333 dual channel SO-DIMM kit the other day, for what it's worth.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

Nevermind, realized I was thinking of each of the 8GB packs.

I paid less than $50 for an 8GB DDR3-1333 dual channel SO-DIMM kit the other day, for what it's worth.

8gb of SO-DIMM!, laptop?
--

Net Citizen

join:2009-01-22
Schenectady, NY
reply to elwoodblues
One worrying trend with hard drives in general is that while they're rapidly expanding their storage options, hard drive reliability has been going downhill at a similar pace.

External USB drives in particular have a horrid shelf-life in my experience. Some have simply ceased to work after a few months.

I shoot a lot of RAW/video files with my DSLR in addition to recording audio. So, I've been exploring various options for backup including USB sticks, DVDRs, USB drives, internal hard drives and the results are not comforting.

Of the solutions that are considered reliable, only 2 came to mind:

Online backup - Online storage is not very practical here in Canada for large files for obvious reasons (especially slow upload speed). There is also the risk that other personnel could have access to your files.

Tape - Tape offers the most reliable form of backup and have the lowest per MB cost. Unfortunately, the drives themselves run in excess of $600-2000 for a respectable amount of storage. Tape is stored linearly so it's an all or nothing proposition. If you have a series of tapes numbering in the dozen for a single backup and one tape malfunctions or is lost, the whole backup is nullified.

All in all, buying additional USB drives to serve as backup for the backup seems to be the only affordable option; albeit hardly ideal for what I do.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to elwoodblues
I was in Guelph again yesterday (while ignoring that other thread)and stopped in at a Staples to return something (i was in the area).

I got a glance at this weekends flyer and they will be offering a USB 2.0 2TB hard drive for 45 bucks.

I figure I'll buy it and rip the drive out, they're usually just Sata drives inside anyway.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Doonz
said by Doonz:

Nope you will be declined Only Nas and Server Builds are elligible for multiple hdd purchases

From NCIX website

"i everyone, please note that ALL hard drives are on allocation. There is severe flooding in Thailand and it is affecting global supply. We are implementing a limit of 2 hard drives per customer until we hear otherwise.

Technically I am buying it for a NAS build, although I'm not buying the NAS from them. But knowing that it was unlikely that they'd let it through, I went across the street to Futureshop and I bought 5x WD 2TB Green drives for $110 each.

NCIX has raised the price on 2TB WD Green again, now they're $160.
--

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by Guspaz:

said by Doonz:

From NCIX website

Technically I am buying it for a NAS build, although I'm not buying the NAS from them. But knowing that it was unlikely that they'd let it through, I went across the street to Futureshop and I bought 5x WD 2TB Green drives for $110 each.

NCIX has raised the price on 2TB WD Green again, now they're $160.

Yeah, you would have to purchase the nas hardware at the same time to qualify for multiple drives.

This just sucks