Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: [Rant] Holy Hard Drive rip off

said by elwoodblues:

Big box stores were always outrageously expensive to start with, when it came to items like hard drives. Now them market is just catching up.

Internal drives, I agree with you, but I have found USB externals to have been generally competitive.

Worst case, you can rob them for their drives if you wish to deploy them internally, and replace them to the enclosures later.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Even though I got my 5x2TB from Futureshop ($110 each), I'm thinking I should keep the NCIX order (2x3TB, $140 each) because at worst I can sell them for a heck of a lot more than $140...
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by Guspaz:

Even though I got my 5x2TB from Futureshop ($110 each), I'm thinking I should keep the NCIX order (2x3TB, $140 each) because at worst I can sell them for a heck of a lot more than $140...

Thats good to hear
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
yah, but he did say he wanted to put a "fast" hard drive in there..

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Latest @ Future Shop (prices seem unhiked so far) :

EXTERNAL USB desktop drives in the 1.5 to 2 TB range from $90 thru $110 each.

Various warranty lengths, USB types, brands and models - mostly Seagate.

Some show in stock ONLY in the stores, others both in the stores and online.

BESTBUY Canada is modifying their website on-the-fly as I looked at it.

For some models, I get a 404 on the product detail page links, and others are there, but the product page price is increased from the price shown in the group listings.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I bought a 3TB USB 3.0 external drive for $130 a few weeks ago. That same drive now is pushing $200.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
As long as everyone understands that those are invariably low-RPM green drives. Perfect for USB externals provided it's a good brand that is going to be reliable, but IMO not what anyone should put into a general-purpose computer system.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
FS shows 3 models of Seagate 3 TB Ext Desktop from $130 to $150.

The $130 model is a flyer price, is sold out online, and finishes end of tonight for any left in the stores.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

As long as everyone understands that those are invariably low-RPM green drives. Perfect for USB externals provided it's a good brand that is going to be reliable, but IMO not what anyone should put into a general-purpose computer system.

As a storage-only device, I see no point in the faster drives unless their price is very close to that of the the slower ones.

My 100Mbit LAN is my bottleneck anyway when sharing drives across my network, and the USB 2.0 interface seems to sometimes limit things even when using externals local to a PC.

The faster drives are of course better for OS & APPs, but who has even a TB of installed APPs ?

Faster RPM drives are more failure prone too, and regardless of the warranty and brand, it would still be a hassle if they went down.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

There is a huge issue of flooding going on in Thailand where all the drives are made. So there is a serious shortage of drives. I was warned about this a month ago from a friend and was told to get any drive's I'd need for the next 6 months. It's the worse flooding seen in the region in close to 100 years.

Thanks for passing that tip now. :-( :-(

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Heading up there now.. USB3 which is really nice, my mobo only has 2 USB3 Ports, but I picked up a USB 3.0 Hub which will suffice.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Davesnothere

MVM

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Wolfie00:

As a storage-only device, I see no point in the faster drives unless their price is very close to that of the the slower ones.

My 100Mbit LAN is my bottleneck anyway when sharing drives across my network, and the USB 2.0 interface seems to sometimes limit things even when using externals local to a PC.

The faster drives are of course better for OS & APPs, but who has even a TB of installed APPs ?

Faster RPM drives are more failure prone too, and regardless of the warranty and brand, it would still be a hassle if they went down.

Anandtech's review of the Seagate GoFlex 3TB external drive showed that it had a Barracuda XT (their high-performance drive) in it, and not a green drive.

In terms of performance, well, I'll soon have ten of these drives in a single storage pool, with reads spread out among all ten drives. For home use, the performance of individual drives is really not important when you have that many drives.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
1.5 TB seagate externals on sale at staples only on Saturday. $45
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Are these the older 1.5 TB 'Expansion' USB 2.0 drives? I had one fail (click of death) last year... Perhaps Staples is clearing their older stock?

If they are I would not put anything of value or consequence on it...

»forums.seagate.com/t5/Ot ··· -p/30962

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's USB2 of course they're dumping the stock.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
said by andyb:

1.5 TB seagate externals on sale at staples only on Saturday. $45

Thanks Andy, I knew about this yesterday by accident.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Are these the older 1.5 TB 'Expansion' USB 2.0 drives? I had one fail (click of death) last year... Perhaps Staples is clearing their older stock?

If they are I would not put anything of value or consequence on it...

»forums.seagate.com/t5/Ot ··· -p/30962

No idea if same drive as them.This is what it is thou if it shows in your area

»www.staples.ca/ENG/Catal ··· =846057#
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

It's USB2 of course they're dumping the stock.

Read the link I posted above. These USB 2.0 1.5TB Expansion drives have a clicking problem that ultimately leads to drive failure. I experienced this feature and having numerous phone calls and e-mails to Seagates support... I wouldn't pay $5.00 for one of those...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

For $45, I'll take that risk, especially since it's more than likely updated stock with drives that had the wonderful click feature corrected.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I was robbed, I bought a 3TB hard drive and only got 2.72!

I thought 3TB had to use GPT or is that for drives using the Sata Bus?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Those drives would only have 1 year warranty. That sucks.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Um, MBR vs GPT has nothing to do with it. It's still the exact same Base 10 versus Base 2 issue that has been the surge of hard drive purchasers since the beginning of time.
Gone

Gone to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Still, $45.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to Gone

to Gone
This bloke "randwick2031" alleges he just purchased a new Seagate USB 3.0 and it is making a clicking noise....
quote:
»forums.seagate.com/t5/Ot ··· /page/43

Just got my "Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STAY3000102" today and start using it to backup data. But it already has clicking sound each time being access. And also restart if left idle for quite long (1 hr). Should I ask for replacement or is there any solution for this ? Or is it normal for seagate hd?

vue666

vue666 (banned)

Reviewers of the Seagate 1.5 Expansion drive at Amazon are reporting clicking problems....

»www.amazon.com/Seagate-E ··· 025KXMKS

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
If he's only getting one single click on spinup, that's not something to be too too worried about. Some drives do that, Seagates in particular and that's nothing new. Western Digitals make this weird buzzing noise instead.

Now if he continually gets clicks when the drive is already spun up, or if it clicks during seeking in particular, then he may have an issue on his hands.

I've got two 1TB 7200.12s in my NAS and two 1.5TB Baracuda LPs (5900 RPM drives, predecessor to the advanced format Baracuda Green version out now) in my workstation as non-backed up storage drives and I've had zero issues with any of them them.

I did, however, have a 1TB 7200.11 that had clicks early in its life. Those clicks went away, but turned into random bad sectors and loss. The 7200.11s were the pieces of shit that had just about every issue under the sun you could think of.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Mine woke me up one night when it went into a clicking frenzy... My computer room is across the hall from my bedroom....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by HiVolt:

Still, $45.

Exactly!
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

The drives at Staples have an one year warranty... Mine had a 3 year warranty but it gave up fighting with Seagate. I took it back to Futureshop and explained the issues I was having with Seagate. The floor manager at Futureshop exchanged it over the counnter for a Seagate USB 3.0 2TB. The 1.5TB was about 2 1/2 years old at the time. So far the replacement drive has been fine. I use it to backup my photos, 3D renders and digital paintings....
vue666

vue666 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by Gone:

said by HiVolt:

Still, $45.

Exactly!

The drive maybe worth $45.00 but do you trust your data on the drive? If you do, then it's no problem....