Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666

Re: [Rant] Holy Hard Drive rip off

Of course not. I don't trust my important data on one single source of storage, period.

If it's being used as a backup or non-critical data drive, who cares?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I'm digitizing my DVD's then giving the DVD's to a friend up north.
Worse case scenario,I can find a "linux distro" to get it again, or go up north and get the DVD back.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Yeah, but once he gets his grubby mitts on those those vintage Swedish Erotica dvds with Seka & Ginger Lynn it may take a titanic effort....
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I'm in the market for more storage, I'm starting up my "Digitize Elwoods DVD's" for the winter again, and was shocked at the price of the drives.

The WD Green 2TB that I've gobbled up in the past have been in the range of $70-80 tops.

Now I've seen them pushing $150!

I did read that flooding was going to create a tight supply of hard drives for the next quarter, but this is just plain gouging. But this was supposed to affect only WD, not everybody else.

Good thing I bought some 2TB blacks for $130 a few weeks back.

Are you sure they're the exact same models? The EARS ones are usually cheaper, while they other models, same brand same size are nearly double the price. The EARS ones don't play nice with all operating systems and hardware.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Can someone give me a read on this?

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/pro ··· 74c0en02

I'm just going to be in the market for getting a new desktop and putting it together, its showing on sale @ $109.99 at Best buy and they have local stock here in Sudbury...where we don't seem to worry about shortage of parts .

So, is it a piece of garbage? I can't tell with the cryptic model code that they provide and just don't have the energy to really dig into it...

Other than that I didn't realize that Thailand was underwater...so I'm sorry for those who have suffered there and can live with a short term spike in HDD prices.

Same thing happenned with RAM way back in the day...if those can recall getting 128MB of RAM for $20 one day and then it zooming up to about $50 the next day because of a fire at one of the RAM making facilities. Wow, imagine we used to pay $50+ for 128MB of ram...craziness..anywho...just wondered if it was worth it or not.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Actually, IIRC, the RAM deal was early during 1993, and a ONE-MEG 30-PIN piece of RAM jumped by about the prices you mentioned or worse.

It was blamed on a fire in a Japanese resin plant whose output fed most of the plastic casing makers for the RAM chips.

Windows 3.1 was current then, and 4 MEG of RAM was both common and necessary for it to work in 'Enhanced 386 mode'.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Can someone give me a read on this?

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/pro ··· 74c0en02

I'm just going to be in the market for getting a new desktop and putting it together, its showing on sale @ $109.99 at Best buy and they have local stock here in Sudbury...where we don't seem to worry about shortage of parts ....

Seems OK to me.

Price is not too crazy.

Photo may be file photo and not necessarily of that model.

Lower RPM may be criticized by some, but the aureal density would be so high per platter that RPM means less these days, and lower may be more reliable, and generally will run cooler.

3 yr warr is respectable (though Seagate was 5 yr for some time).

Nice big cache - will help speed.

But also check my earlier posts as External USB drives of same capacity were about same price @ FS when I posted, and BB was already updating (hiking) their prices while I was checking.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I just checked again and FS has raised prices on a couple of the external desktop drives on which I reported ealrier tonight, but have left some alone and even LOWERED a couple of them.

Some 2 GBs now cost more than some 3 GBs, but it may just be based on which models are sold out, and on any confirmed new wholesale orders for more of THOSE at a higher price.

The largest jump was one WD 2 GB which went from $90 to $150.

But a Seagate 3 GB fell from $150 to $140 (though with an after-sale quoted price of $200)

We should check again later in the morning as the flyer cycles at FS & BB normally change on Friday mornings.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
Don't use the Green drives in a desktop as a primary drive, too slow
elwoodblues

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Got an email from Agile, they cancelled my order, no drives available.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Well i was able to get my drives at a decent enough price.

But F me this is ridicoulous

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

The largest jump was one WD 2 GB which went from $90 to $150.

Have things got so bad that they're breaking out the old stock of two gigabyte drives?
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

said by ruddypict:

Have things got so bad that they're breaking out the old stock of two gigabyte drives?

ah, It got bad when the factory went underwater..
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Maybe the price of SATA drives will soon be close to that of SSDs... LOL

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

They way it's going I wouldn't be suprised

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Gami00

MVM

to Gami00
said by Gami00:

said by ruddypict:

ah, It got bad when the factory went underwater..

Right, but two gigabyte hard drives are not terribly useful in this day and age. Can't even store a single movie on it.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666

Autumn Hard Drive Price Hike is Normal

said by vue666:

Maybe the price of SATA drives will soon be close to that of SSDs... LOL

I was also thinking of that.

BTW, what some of us here have forgotten is that hard drive prices traditionally DO drop during the summer, and begin to rise during the fall, due to normal demand cycles of the major computer builders vs production cycles of the HD makers.

This flood was timed pretty much in sync with that market trend, but served to exaggerate it.

There would have been SOME price rise about now anyway, until after Xmas or year end, when everyone looks at how the holiday season went.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues

Re: [Rant] Holy Hard Drive rip off

It's not just the price increase (and prices have doubled, so that's a pretty big increase), merely getting the things is damned hard now. Everybody is either out of stock, or restricting quantities.

The five WD disks I've got in my desk drawer here at work (the retail boxes I bought at FutureShop yesterday) have already appreciated in value by $150 since yesterday. Futureshop apparently only changes their pricing on Fridays.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by elwoodblues:

It's USB2 of course they're dumping the stock.

Read the link I posted above. These USB 2.0 1.5TB Expansion drives have a clicking problem that ultimately leads to drive failure. I experienced this feature and having numerous phone calls and e-mails to Seagates support... I wouldn't pay $5.00 for one of those...

can you take those 1.5TBs out of the case and use them in PCs??

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

It's not just the price increase (and prices have doubled, so that's a pretty big increase), merely getting the things is damned hard now. Everybody is either out of stock, or restricting quantities.

The five WD disks I've got in my desk drawer here at work (the retail boxes I bought at FutureShop yesterday) have already appreciated in value by $150 since yesterday.

Futureshop apparently only changes their pricing on Fridays.

Yes, it seems that they do.

You mean $150 among 5 drives = $30 each ?

And so just how low were the regular prices of a few of the most notable examples of hard drives just before they doubled ?

I'm still seeing 2 TB for $100+ and 3 TB for $140+. (Ext USB @ FS)

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I was working on my VMWare server last night. It has 4 1TB drives in a RAID 5 (hardware, using an Adaptec controller). I still have some drives left and another RAID (Dell Perc 5) that I could use.

Not relevant, just wanted to mention it.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

I was working on my VMWare server last night. It has 4 1TB drives in a RAID 5 (hardware, using an Adaptec controller). I still have some drives left and another RAID (Dell Perc 5) that I could use.

Don't want to digress here but I have to ask.... what kind of drives are you using in your RAID config? WD claims you should only use enterprise-level drives because of issues like deep-error-correction timeouts where a drive can get dropped from the system, but I'm not sure I really believe that this is a significant problem.

Actually, considering drive cost and potential shortages right now, maybe that's quite relevant to the topic!

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

said by donoreo:

Don't want to digress here but I have to ask.... what kind of drives are you using in your RAID config? WD claims you should only use enterprise-level drives because of issues like deep-error-correction timeouts where a drive can get dropped from the system, but I'm not sure I really believe that this is a significant problem.

Actually, considering drive cost and potential shortages right now, maybe that's quite relevant to the topic!

I am certainly not using WD Greens I am actually using two WD Black (older so they have whatever it was they dropped from them later) and two Seagate. Yeah, I know, mixing brands.

I just finally got VMWare 5 installed last night, so I will do testing on it before I put any VMs on it.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I guess I could fit it into my growing schedule of 'things to ignore'.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Interesting. I have a new system with two 2 TB WD Blacks running independently, but the system has RAID capability and I was tempted to set it up as RAID-1, though it would involve a Windows re-install I think. Main reasons I didn't was concern about WD's caveat about non-enterprise drives, and also some RAID weirdnesses related to some backup programs. It does introduce new levels of complexity.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

Interesting. I have a new system with two 2 TB WD Blacks running independently, but the system has RAID capability and I was tempted to set it up as RAID-1, though it would involve a Windows re-install I think. Main reasons I didn't was concern about WD's caveat about non-enterprise drives, and also some RAID weirdnesses related to some backup programs. It does introduce new levels of complexity.

I actually found that my WD Blacks performed better as individual drives than they did in RAID 0. Software RAID, even if supported at the BIOS/driver level, sucks.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

That is fakeraid, really just software RAID. You would have to re-install. It would provide some extra security from failures.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

said by vue666:

said by elwoodblues:

It's USB2 of course they're dumping the stock.

Read the link I posted above. These USB 2.0 1.5TB Expansion drives have a clicking problem that ultimately leads to drive failure. I experienced this feature and having numerous phone calls and e-mails to Seagates support... I wouldn't pay $5.00 for one of those...

can you take those 1.5TBs out of the case and use them in PCs??

The should be just SATA drives, I'm not interested in USB 2.0 anymore, too slow, I'll remove the drive from the case and use it one of my thermaltake Docks.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

Many times the drives have gone through a higher level of QC, that's the only difference between the "consumer" and "Enterprise" Seagate Drives (AS vs NS)

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Don't use the Green drives in a desktop as a primary drive, too slow

The biggest problem with green drives is that they like to park their heads and sleep too frequently. It's really annoying when you go to access that drive and have to wait 5-10 seconds for it to spin back up.

They're great for archival, but not so good as primary.