Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to gt1racer

Re: [All] New England Weather

The white car on the left is being eaten by the tree.
6.5 inches here.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to gt1racer

My power went out at 2:30 this morning and it is still out. We got about 5 inches of very wet snow. It is still coming down.
My generator is running. Enough power for the frige, freezer, tv, coffe maker and lights. But not enough to run the water pump so no water.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to gt1racer

Look out below!

The bright sun is warming things up just enough to cause the snow to drop off the trees and roofs like bombs.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to gt1racer

Re: [All] New England Weather

Friends of mine in Nashua are lucky to be alive this morning and are counting their blessings. A neighbor's house caught fire last night. And when they went outside to see, a power pole snapped and nearly fell upon them. All around town up there, transformers exploded and left most of the city in the dark.

I'm glad I made the decision to head home last night rather than spend a second night up there after a Hallowe'en party. As it was, heading south at 4 o'clock, Route 3 north of 495 was a little iffy. South of 495 at that point, it was mostly wet. But even before I heard about the near miss, I was glad I headed home *before* the roads got bad.

Here in Framingham, we lost power around 11:30 last night. I was using candles on general principle for light and warmth, so I didn't even know when the power actually went out until my laptop lost Internet connection -- the UPS backing the router finally ran out of juice. When I woke up this morning, power was already back. This morning, we're just waiting for Maintenance to come reset the water heaters. All in all, not too bad.

The storm has been worse to us than Irene. Irene barely did anything to the area. However, snow sticking to trees mostly full of leaves has made them even more dangerous than iced over tree limbs.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

gt1racer

join:2008-11-19
Fall River, MA
reply to gt1racer

Just went outside about an hour ago and only measured 1.6" on the ground but measured 3" on both my parents cars.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to gt1racer

Woke up to mostly bare pavement and blue skies, here. Maybe 2" on the cars, at most. I did hear the snowplow come through during the night at some point, but it seems like this one mostly missed us. Yay
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to gt1racer

Yea. Power is back on!

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to gt1racer

Power out from 04:40 to 05:10. Verizon hiccuped about 2.
Driveway and streets are green with leaves. Twig city. Not photo worthy.
None of the dead branches I wanted to fall did.
Friggin' leaves. I've got 6 bags ready for the dump/ Transfer Station/ whatever and it's going to be a zoo tomorrow.

Weather station at the house said 40mph wind last night.
Weather Dude down the street screwed up his site »www.capecodweather.net/
so it doesn't show raw and compiled data anymore. His anemometer is more accurate than mine.

gt1racer

Fall River, MA
reply to gt1racer

Looks like it's going to be a very cold night tonight with Light & Variable/Calm winds good luck in the morning commute everybody!

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
reply to gt1racer

We lost power for about 5 hours and cable/phone/internet will be down until tomorrow. I didn't measure the snow but I'm guessing it was about 6" of nasty wet snow. No damage done just a ton of down branches and I have no idea how to get rid of all that wood!
--
"We are the Borg. You WILL be assimilated!" -ST:TNG

seginus

join:2008-01-30
Worcester, MA
reply to gt1racer

Still no power for us here in Worcester. Estimated to be back on Nov. 3!!! 2 blocks over has power. sucks. lost a couple of large branches in back and several neighbors lost some as well. Writing this in laundromat.
--
Please remember: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to gt1racer

We're simply without heat at the moment but are otherwise getting by.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gt1racer

Well over here in western ma (the portion of mass that doesn't exist)
we got 14in of snow and have been without power now for 3 days going on 4,lost all the food in my refrigerator along with my freezer downstairs,my condo has not gotten above 55 degrease, not a fun couple of days.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6

Sorry to hear that. Seems like a lot of the same places that got hit hard by Irene were hit by this one too. Hope you get power and heat back on ASAP!
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
reply to gt1racer

We got 2+ feet of snow where I live in NH...unreal! Shattered every record for October snowfall. (And came close to breaking some Nov and Dec records in some places around here). Some areas got 3 feet of snow.
Amazingly, we didn't lose power....which we usually do with our lousy power company if the winds go above 5mph. Heh.
Anyway, I figure we lucked out because most of the trees have lost their leaves up here. Good luck to you folks still without power.
Looking at the news, it's amazing how much damage this historic October snowstorm did. Yikes!!
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

scajjr

Kingston, NH

Here in Kingston we lost power about 7 Sat night, it came back on yesterday around 3pm. A daughter in Milford was out from Sat at 7 till early yesterday AM. My other girl in Peterborough got the most snow but never lost power.

Sam

Spork35

Methuen, MA
reply to gt1racer

We got cable/internet/phone back yesterday about lunch time instead of afternoon today because Verizon said they don't do any work if the place doesn't have power so half their schedule was bummed yesterday. It's weird how power is patchy but the Wendy's next to the Home Depot here has power while the Home Depot has no power yet the street lights for a mile in each direction are out.
--

swootton
Computer Nut

join:2001-05-11
Barkhamsted, CT
reply to gt1racer

Been without power since Saturday around 6PM. Been on generator since Saturday. Looks like no school or power this week.
My guess not the town of clp. The whole nw corner of CT nearly 100% out of power.

How's everybody else doing?

gt1racer

Fall River, MA
reply to gt1racer

no power was lost down here In Fall River which is how I uploaded local forecast videos during the storm. I hope everyone else is doing well and I hope power or water comes back soon for those who don't have it.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to gt1racer

Minor bitching about leaves.
I'l go outside now

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

Just got power back about an hour ago. What a mess. Lots of food to toss. We can never eat all that is defrosted in the freezers. I'll do some checking for a place to donate.

Evert time I convince myself to not buy a generator something like this happens.

Spork35

Methuen, MA

said by HenryFarpolo:

Just got power back about an hour ago. What a mess. Lots of food to toss. We can never eat all that is defrosted in the freezers. I'll do some checking for a place to donate.

Evert time I convince myself to not buy a generator something like this happens.

We picked up an extended rider called "HOMEPROTECTOR PLUS ENDORSEMENT" on our home owners insurance last year that covers everything in the fridge/freezer up to like $1,000. I think it was like $40-50/year to add the coverage which also came with a dozen other things. Lucky for us we only lost power for 5 hours so we didn't need to use it.

--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to gt1racer

I have a cousin in Connecticut. She has been without power since Sunday night. And power isn't expected to be restored at least until the weekend.
Her generator crapped out on her so she is bumming.

Maine had about 207,000 without power at the peak. Most of Maine has power back, and toes that still don't should likely have it on tonight.

Some areas of Boothbay lost power for 24 hours. I was lucky and lost it for 11 hours.

I have a couple options to keep lights and heat going. I generally use a 1200 watt power inverter with a 600amp marine battery, to keep a couple lights and my monitor heater going. It will last for days.....

I use a generator if power is out long, but only for the freezers and refrigerator.

gt1racer

Fall River, MA
reply to gt1racer

Click for full size
7 on 7 Forecast
Looks like a cold front is going to protect New England on Friday and keep any precip out of the region. no chance of precipitation is expected on the 7 day outlook on channel 7's website

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to gt1racer

Click for full size
Figure I would share this to give people a good idea of what this week has been for us in this part of the country.

gt1racer

Fall River, MA
reply to gt1racer

Next Chance of rain seems to be on Thursday with Precip chance of 80%

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to gt1racer

"when I grow up I wanna have a house with lots of trees in the yard so I can rake from September until December."

I swear I didn't say that!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to gt1racer

These leaves have hung on way past normal. I haven't even had to rake yet! But this week, they have finally been steadily falling off the trees.
Now I have to rake.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by Dominokat:

These leaves have hung on way past normal. I haven't even had to rake yet! But this week, they have finally been steadily falling off the trees.
Now I have to rake.

I think I remember the news saying it was some sort of Fungus that the trees had this year causing them to hold on to the leaves longer. If the trees get it for a year or two they are fine but if it extends beyond that, then there will be trouble for the tree.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

Hmm. That (may) be true. But if it is, that would mean just about each and every tree on my property, and pretty much the whole coastal area I have traveled, is fungus infected.