spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

Question on fault of a parked vehicle

Ok in my neighbourhood there is one busy street in the morning, one guy who lives on this street thinks its cool to park his car on theboulevard, which is fine since he is not blocking the side walk for the cyclists, however the ass end of his car is sticking way OVER the curb onto the paved road.

Some times his ass is sticking more over the road than other days. I was just curious to know is he breaking any laws by parking like that? and if so, what would happen if a driver who was driving on the city road were to hit his car because it is sticking out so much? who would be at fault? The reason I ask is because his car already got hit once and he STILL continues to park like that.
Pauly

Pauly

.ish i almost hit that parked car AGAIN. c'mon guys whos really at fault here? the driver or the guy who is "LEGALLY BLOCKING" the road, I think he is OBSTRUCTING TRAFFIC to be quite honest with you, even if the car is PARKD

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

It is illegal for his car to be blocking a side walk or to be sticking out onto the road from a driveway.. call your bylaw enforcement officer (police will not do anything)

edit: and both people would probably be at fault (him and the person hitting the car)

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
you would likely be best to check with "City Hall" to find out about the municipal bylaws...i know here, you can not park on the boulevard (legally).

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
depends on the city. In Toronto it's illegal to block the sidewalk. Other places it isn't.

I personally hate the cars that stick out the end of the driveway, but they do stick out less than a car parked on the driveway.

I know here, the Bi-law people will ticket them as if they were on the road.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

True it is up to each municipality to decide.... but most will have a bylaw about the car sticking out from the driveway.. it is unsafe, because oncoming vehicles are less likely to notice them. There are smaller markers on the side of the vehicle than if it was parked on the road to see the whole tail light section

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

edit: and both people would probably be at fault (him and the person hitting the car)

Hitting a parked car makes you 100% at fault, even if the other car is parked illegally.
Gone

Gone to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i know here, you can not park on the boulevard (legally).

See, here you can. In my neighbourhood the driveways are so narrow you can only fit in one car. People will pull their second vehicle onto the boulevard, and the town actually encourages it in the winter rather than people parking illegally on the street.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

I believe I remember you saying that you lived in Mississauga...

»www.mississauga.ca/porta ··· ingbylaw
quote:
Sidewalk and Boulevard Parking:
No person may park a vehicle on the paved or grass portion of the City Boulevard. The boulevard is that portion of the driveway between the property line or sidewalk and the road.

No person may park a vehicle in such a way as to partially obstruct or block the sidewalk from pedestrian traffic. (Traffic Consolidation By-law 555-00)

On-Street Parking:
Parking on City streets is limited to three hours, unless otherwise posted. This offence is enforced on a complaint basis only. Signs advising the public of the three hour parking limit are posted at all major entrances to the City. (Traffic Consolidation By-law 555-00)
Boulevard parking is illegal in Mississauga, but many do it. Bylaw Enforcement does not enforce our parking bylaws unless there is a complaint. In my neighbourhood many people park on the boulevard and no one seems to complain, but I would definitely complain if someone left one end of their vehicle hanging out on to the street. I agree that it's safer for them to just park their vehicle on the street altogether as the tail lights are a lot more reflective and visible than side markers.

To make a complaint about this boulevard parker:

»www.mississauga.ca/porta ··· sprocess

Note: I'd recommend that after you complain you make sure that your own vehicle is parked legally for a few days. It'd suck to get a ticket because of your own complaint.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

depends on the city. In Toronto it's illegal to block the sidewalk. Other places it isn't.

I personally hate the cars that stick out the end of the driveway, but they do stick out less than a car parked on the driveway.

I know here, the Bi-law people will ticket them as if they were on the road.

Actually it's if you wheels are on the sidewalk, sometimes I don't back up the truck all the way up the driveway, and the nose of the truck is hanging over the sidewalk, I've yet to get a ticket.

The neighbour across the street, got a ticket in her driveway because her wheels were on the sidewalk.

a_large_rock
join:2003-08-02
L6H0H3

1 edit

a_large_rock to TLS2000

to TLS2000
Rules for assigning fault used by the automobile insures in Ontario

»www.247accidentbenefits. ··· ules.pdf

17. (1) If automobile “A” is parked when it is struck by automobile “B”, the driver of automobile “A” is not at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 100 per cent at fault for the incident.
(2) If automobile “A” is illegally parked, stopped or standing when it is struck by automobile “B” and if the incident occurs outside a city, town or village, the driver of automobile “A” is 100 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is not at fault for the incident.
O. Reg. 276/90, s. 17.

Sounds like your at fault in a city/town, but not if it took place in the country side?

Pauly
canada

Pauly

Someone already hit this car
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to a_large_rock

to a_large_rock
said by a_large_rock:

(2) If automobile “A” is illegally parked, stopped or standing when it is struck by automobile “B” and if the incident occurs outside a city, town or village, the driver of automobile “A” is 100 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is not at fault for the incident.
O. Reg. 276/90, s. 17.

There you go folks go find an illegally parked car outside your town and total your piece of shitmobile and get a payout.

Considering most rural townships and counties prohibit parking on their roads even though there is no signage you are in the clear.

Forget bashing mailboxes with baseball bats this Halloween kids go play bumper cars.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

Carefull what u wish for they mite acually do it

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
said by a_large_rock:

Sounds like your at fault in a city/town, but not if it took place in the country side?

I'm glad you found that. Many years ago (perhaps 25) I hit a parked car on a two-lane highway, and I was deemed not at fault. It was somewhat more complicated as he was parked almost beside a 'no parking, no stopping' sign. (Guy had backed out of his very long driveway to snowblow it.) There was an 18-wheeler driving/drifting up the middle of the highway. My choices were truck or ditch, but the other car was too close for me to avoid.

Having said all that I was lucky that the truck driver behind me saw it all and stayed as the cop was giving me a hard time.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

.ish i almost hit that parked car AGAIN. c'mon guys whos really at fault here? the driver or the guy who is "LEGALLY BLOCKING" the road, I think he is OBSTRUCTING TRAFFIC to be quite honest with you, even if the car is PARKD

I had one of them massive Coke trucks (or maybe it was a Pepsi truck) blocking my entire driveway once...he thought it'd be fun to park there I guess to do his delivery to the restaurant across the street...which I never went to because of this incident...

Had to call the retards from Hamilton by-law enforcement...and by the time they got there...he was gone....maybe the laws need to be re-written...

I'd say move out into the country, so far you don't have to worry about parking on a driveway period! Like I do! lol.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I had some guy park across my driveway when I was in the falls a few years back. Parking enforcement was still closed, so I called the police. My buddy was dispatching that morning, he calls me back and says everything will be taken care of. Within ten minutes someone was moving the car. Turns out my buddy called the registered owner and told him to move it now or it would be towed and he'd be fined. The guy who showed up didn't even park it there - his son used the car and left it there. They called the owner at home when he was asleep and he rushed over to move it.