uniqs

LawnMowerGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Ellington, CT

LawnMowerGuy

Premium Member

themostat wont stop calling for heat

So I have a hydronic baseboard oil-fired heating system. Yesterday I turned the heat on for the first time this season.

I woke up this morning and it was way too hot. The t-stat was set to 66 and the room was 75. I went downstairs and the boiler was firing. I switched the t-stat off and the boiler shut off.

My system was 3 zone values (one is an indirect WH) and a single circulator pump? Any ideas what could be wrong or where i can start looking?

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

It's possible (if you have an old thermostat) that the contacts have welded shut. Might be time for a new 'stat.

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

lew_b to LawnMowerGuy

Premium Member

to LawnMowerGuy
If the other 2 zones were OK in terms of set temperature, I'd say check to see if the zone valve for the too hot area is stuck open. Push the lever on the valve all the way to open. If the t-stat is not calling for heat, the valve should spring back closed. If it doesn't then it's stuck open. Thereby heating that one zone any time the circ pump is running.

Oops, missed the part about the t-stat. Never mind

LawnMowerGuy
Premium Member
Ellington, CT

LawnMowerGuy to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
2 seasons ago I replaced the t-stats with programmable ones. The t-stats are the same model in my 2 zones. I'll swap these and see if i can replicate the problem on a different zone.
LawnMowerGuy

LawnMowerGuy to lew_b

Premium Member

to lew_b
At the time there was nothing else that would be kicking on the circulator pump. Is this still worth checking?
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to LawnMowerGuy

Premium Member

to LawnMowerGuy
If switching the thermostat to 'off' shut system down, there isn't much else, besides the thermostat, that it could be. You might check the batteries if your thermostat has them. Many of the electronic stats will default to 'on' or use an internal bi-metal element to maintain heat if the batteries or unit fail.
gobruins777
join:2009-12-11

gobruins777 to LawnMowerGuy

to LawnMowerGuy
I have the other post on here "Circ pump wont shut off"......I think I found the problem, I ran some temporary thermostat wire and the problem hasnt appeared yet.......

Does your stat have batteries?

Good luck

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Nuther vote for batteries.. should be done at the beginning of the heating season, -every- year

-j

LawnMowerGuy
Premium Member
Ellington, CT

LawnMowerGuy

Premium Member

Thanks, i changed the batteries and i *think* that may have solved the problem.