uniqs
Donfish
York Pa.
join:2009-07-15
York, PA

2 edits

Donfish

Long outage in York Pa.

Cable has been down about 12 hours @0115 EST, HSI too. My whole area is underground so distribution lines could be down.

CS fellow said they are swamped here, snow laden tree limbs everywhere. He thanked my wife for not yelling his ear off, said his day has been hell with rants, threats and what-not.

We watched Stargate Atlantis DVD's tonight, was quite cosy, I'm usually on the computer and she's with Storage Wars, Ice Road Truckers or stuff on Animal Planet.

Actually we didn't miss the cable and internet except for the weather but thank God we still had power.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

»Re: Any updates?- Comcast of Ocean County, NJ

yeah bad stuff going on.
Donfish
York Pa.
York, PA

Donfish

Some places I'm sure are going to have a disaster scenario, we didn't have a ton of snow so we are in the "just a pain in the butt" zone unless a big branch hit your house.

If the snow would have waited 2 weeks and the leaves were gone from the trees it would have been just another weekend toilet paper and bread snow.

I never saw tree limbs so close to the ground, the area around my house looked entirely alien. I had a 12 foot witch hazel bend down to about 2 foot tall and my maple had just the tip sticking up the rest of the branches bent to the ground, it's a young one so they didn't break.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

this is good practice of the disaster response plans, get all the kinks out early on before the real storms hit in December through March
Donfish
York Pa.
York, PA

Donfish

With Irene, Lee and now this the lads are earning their money for sure.

God Bless them.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

lol we are but I prefer earning my money by offering unparallelled service and performance. You see I'm a Comcast customer too, so I want the most eye exploding HD channels, the most extreme razor sharp video never before seen- something that will make bluray look like a 1930's newsreel, the clearest audio that will make you feel like your right there in the middle of the scene with the actors talking directly into your mind. I want Comcast to be so ahead of the technological curve, they create the curve that others must follow. They redefine the term "trailblazer" and then rename it "Xfinity". Anyway I digress.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Donfish

to Donfish
said by Donfish:

Some places I'm sure are going to have a disaster scenario, we didn't have a ton of snow so we are in the "just a pain in the butt" zone unless a big branch hit your house.

If the snow would have waited 2 weeks and the leaves were gone from the trees it would have been just another weekend toilet paper and bread snow.

I never saw tree limbs so close to the ground, the area around my house looked entirely alien. I had a 12 foot witch hazel bend down to about 2 foot tall and my maple had just the tip sticking up the rest of the branches bent to the ground, it's a young one so they didn't break.

This snow storm reminds me of the 2010 snowmageddon Dallas-Fort Worth Texas got 14" on average across the metroplex from what was a stalled out low pressure that looked like a hurricane and shattered a record for amount of snow in one season and one event. Texas does not get 14" at one time usually.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Yep records shattered here also. Earthquake, hurricane and now a october record breaking snow. What could possibly be next?
Expand your moderator at work

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to rody_44

to rody_44

Re: Long outage in York Pa.

possibly a volcano or river of lava? anyway from what I've been hearing its possible that this could be an early indication of a severe winter, worse then the december 26th 2010 storm, worse then that december 20th 2009 storm even. i'm just glad that no one got hurt by me.
Donfish
York Pa.
York, PA

Donfish

Update: Almost 24 hours and still down, CS said they are about 59% restored.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

count your blessings you have power. A friend of mine up in the Northern Connecticut mountains lost power yesterday and he said they wont be getting it back till sometime around November 10th.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Yep records shattered here also. Earthquake, hurricane and now a october record breaking snow. What could possibly be next?

a plague of mosquitoes and toads!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

a month long mother in law visit
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to beerbum

Premium Member

to beerbum
Actually the mosquito plague is allready a problem. All our bats died of some desease so now the mosquitos are a problem. That started last year and became a warning this year. knock on wood my power stayed on but i have a few trees to cut up that fell. God rest my apple tree and oak next to the garage.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

they have an warning for dead bats?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Donfish

MVM

to Donfish
said by Donfish:

Update: Almost 24 hours and still down, CS said they are about 59% restored.

I was looking through some Comcast news items and just happened to see this one:

Comcast continues working to restore service

By ASHLEY M. WISLOCK, Daily Record/Sunday News
Updated: 10/31/2011 1:49 PM EDT

York, PA - Comcast is continuing work to restore service to its customers left without service after the weekend winter storm.

Though he didn't have any specific numbers of customers in York County without service, Comcast spokesman Bob Grove said most customers with down service are without electricity altogether.

"When their commercial electric service comes back, so does our service," he said.

However, for those customers whose electricity is restored but are missing Comcast service, Grove said the company is working diligently to restore service.

"Our crews have been working very hard since Saturday night and will continue to work," he said.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

Edge1

Premium Member

Thanks for that update. York Countian here. We have electric but no TV, internet, or phone. Love that Triple Play, LOL! Had to listen to football on my ancient Sony Walkman AM/FM radio. It was like a trip back in time .
Donfish
York Pa.
York, PA

Donfish

We're back, about 2 PM this afternoon. It looks like they stormed the area, saw about 20 bucket trucks from all over the state at a nearby Dennys this morning and was hearing back-up beeps and truck noises all day. Seems like they were doing all utility lines in cooperation as they went.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
yeah its common sense. we're not gonna roll repair crews in areas that still have downed wires that are potentionally live as well as exploded trees. clear the trees first, get the electric working, then services.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to Donfish

MVM

to Donfish
The Reading, PA area has a lot of outages going on too. Been to a few establishments where they have a TV at the bar and the dreaded "This channel will be available shortly" message.

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
join:2005-08-23
Woodbridge, NJ

Travelfan1 to Donfish

to Donfish
To me, the interesting aspect of all this is that cable claim to be more reliable than satellite. While I'd say that cable won't go down on a typical rain/snowstorm, and satellite might go down, but usually not for more than a few minutes, on these major disasters like Irene, October snowstorm, advantage satellite - I have friends in areas in upstate NY that live in the same town(forgot the town name). Once the power came back up, the one that has Cablevision still doesn't have services, while the one with Directv do.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

dude you can't make a comparison like that after a natural disaster, i mean a tree pulling down wires is a tree pulling down wires that's not something anyone can control or anticipate aside from cutting down every tree in the world. both cable and satellite have their pros and cons.

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
join:2005-08-23
Woodbridge, NJ

Travelfan1

Disclaimer: I don't work or own any shares on satellite, teleco or cable providers.

All I was saying was that cable LOVES to claim that they are more reliable than satellite to rainstorms, snowstorms, etc. And I'd agree that it's more likely that, in your typical rainstorm, for you to lose satellite, but for a very brief period of time, than to lose cabel service. However, when a big disaster occurs, satellite services are typically back online the moment sky's clear, whereas cable and teleco takes much longer.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

yes, like i said there are pros and cons for both. the same could be said about utility power being unreliable compared to solar panels though.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Donfish

MVM

to Donfish
Latest update from The York Dispatch:

Comcast repairs on track in York, Lancaster counties

The York Dispatch

Updated: 11/02/2011 10:54 AM EDT

Comcast's after-storm repairs are on track and services are being restored in the York and Lancaster counties, said Bob Grove, spokesman for Comcast Cable's eastern division.

"Our system looks good," he said. "We are monitoring our services."

The heavy snow on Saturday wreaked havoc on power lines as weighted trees were pushed to their breaking points, leading to power outages and loss of Comcast services.

Grove said people whose power has been restored are able to use their Internet and cable services.

Customers who have power but no Comcast service should call Comcast, he said. Discounts strictly for lack of Comcast service could be arranged on a case-by-case basis, Grove said. This does not include available services that are inaccessible because of ongoing issues with power outages.

A majority of the Comcast customers are not getting services because they don't have power, Grove said.

"That's the way it's been the last few days," he said. "If they don't have electricity, they won't have services."

Also see this York Daily Record article for more info on obtaining refunds:

Comcast customers affected by storm might be eligible for a refund
»www.ydr.com/rss/ci_19247 ··· urce=rss

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

thank you for your posting.