Search similar:

uniqs
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser

Re: Dyson: upright vs canister?

I have an Oreck which I brought from the home I sold in South Florida and am not particularly happy with it. It spends most of the time in the second floor closet. It works best on very low pile carped or bare floor. There is no height adjustment for pile height. The model I have has two speeds. Bag seems to clog up rapidly if fine dust is picked up.

I recently had carpet replaced in our master bedroom. The carpet installer used a bagless Eureka upright and swears by it. It has a larger capacity dirt cup then our Bissell bagless upright which we use on the first floor. The Bissell has a pile adjustment which is very handy. The only complaint I have about the Bissell is how difficult it is to clean the filters. According to the carpet installer the filters in the Eureka are much easier to clean than the filters in the Bissell.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to IIIBradIII

Premium Member

to IIIBradIII
said by IIIBradIII:

Check Consumer Reports vacuum ratings before buying - they didn't seem too impressed with the Dysons.

We're quite happy with our Dyson Ball.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
We have a Dyson Animal upright and have used it for years.... (5?)

So far, it works great.. and cleans beautiful...

emk1028
Premium Member
join:2006-04-23
Douglassville, PA

emk1028 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I have a refurb Dyson dc07 I purchased from Woot 4 years ago and no problems, and I still love it.
Check out »www.woot.com/ today 11/12.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Yes -- Great deal on Woot for the Dyson Ball DC25!

Hiker
Zeus
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Pipersville

Hiker to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I'm have the Dyson D25 Animal for 1.5 years now and it is very good. Expensive but very good. Time will tell how long its goodness lasts...

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

Yes -- Great deal on Woot for the Dyson Ball DC25!

Not really a good deal on Woot for the DC25. Same thing from ABC Warehouse is about $20 cheaper.
»www.abcvacuumwarehouse.c ··· BID=2606

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

How do you consider the ABC Warehouse price of $330 to be $20 cheaper than the Woot deal of $250?

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by robbin:

How do you consider the ABC Warehouse price of $330 to be $20 cheaper than the Woot deal of $250?

It comes up $353 when I go there. Unauthorized reseller as well so warranty is void. Not a good deal.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Not sure where you are going but it was a one day Woot deal on Saturday the 12th and was also available with an extended square trade warranty. $250 plus $5 shipping for the DC25.
coachsteve
join:2011-11-22
Chandler, AZ

coachsteve to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Greetings,

I'm a long, long time lurker at DSL Reports but have always preferred to sit quietly on the sidelines and bask in the wealth of knowledge freely available here. Kudos to the members of this community for the outstanding show of respect and assistance everyone offers without hesitation nor ridicule. Refreshing.

That said, after visiting the site today and seeing this thread, I felt compelled to register so that I could reply with some eye-opening, and perhaps jaw-dropping info about Dyson.

My friend owns and operates a chain of specialty stores here in the Phoenix area. He services and sells sewing machines and vacuums. His company is considered the best of its kind here and his techs are simply the best! He pays them well and they've been with him for a long time.

At any given time, you can walk into any of his 8 locations and see rows (usually 3 deep) of Dysons waiting their turn to be repaired. I asked him a while back, "What's the deal with all the Dyson's? Did you become an Authorized Service Center or something?" His exact reply was, "Nope, but I still take in about 70 per week - at every one of my stores to be repaired." 8 stores x 70 units per week....? Do the math! I couldn't believe it. I was floored. And, since he isn't an authorized warranty center, all those customers are paying out-of-pocket to the tune of an average $270.00 bill!

I don't know if I was more shocked by the situation or disappointed in what I thought was the coolest thing to come along in the vacuum world for a long time.

Anyway, just wanted to offer this heads up and pass along some very pertinent albeit disturbing information.

BTW, my name is Steve. I live just outside Phoenix, AZ. I'm the media relations liaison for a major music rock artist. Husband and father of two girls, 21 and 18. Hobbies include playing music, tinkering in my man-cave and building/tearing apart computers, and home improvement projects.

Regards,

Steve

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

You make my choice of going with Miele a lot more satisfying

I'm not surprised, I'd heard the same across various reviews and blogs.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to coachsteve

to coachsteve
I've heard this about dozens of things over the last 2 decades from Troy Bilt to MTD to Dyson or other appliance manufactures. Everything is subjective and there's no definitive answer to which company makes quality products. People will say Bose's is overpriced junk yet others will give it glowing reviews. Stuff like a In-Sink-Erator people recently on these forums claimed were junk and wouldn't last 3-5 years. Then we got responses including myself who have had them over 10 years in perfect working order. I don't buy the extreme negative or positive on anything in this realm.

I remember lots of Dell repairs back in the day. The reality was most were customer caused like using a CD tray as an ash tray/cup holder or a virus/malware. Sure it appears like Dell is the issue when you have the major of Dell's in your shop but stuff isn't always what it appears in reality.

FYI: If they are skipping an authorized repair center to go to your buddy the Dyson is at minimum 5 years old in most cases. That says something right there.
coachsteve
join:2011-11-22
Chandler, AZ

coachsteve

said by Spork35:

I've heard this about dozens of things over the last 2 decades from Troy Bilt to MTD to Dyson or other appliance manufactures. Everything is subjective and there's no definitive answer to which company makes quality products. People will say Bose's is overpriced junk yet others will give it glowing reviews. Stuff like a In-Sink-Erator people recently on these forums claimed were junk and wouldn't last 3-5 years. Then we got responses including myself who have had them over 10 years in perfect working order. I don't buy the extreme negative or positive on anything in this realm.

I remember lots of Dell repairs back in the day. The reality was most were customer caused like using a CD tray as an ash tray/cup holder or a virus/malware. Sure it appears like Dell is the issue when you have the major of Dell's in your shop but stuff isn't always what it appears in reality.

FYI: If they are skipping an authorized repair center to go to your buddy the Dyson is at minimum 5 years old in most cases. That says something right there.

You make some very valid points and I agree with most of them. However, when the cause of the failure is consistently documented over a long period of time as being a design flaw or even a weakness which is exploited due to the a high percentage of end users simply not following a certain directive because of laziness, failure to familiarize themselves with the proper operating procedures, etc., I feel it becomes the responsibility or the mfr. to institute a design change which will drastically reduce the number of recurring failures of the same part(s). That's just simple covering your ass in my opinion. You as the mfr. can respond to a high number of failures by stating and showing evidence of it being caused by the end user but all that does is show you passing the blame instead of redesigning the product as well as embeds a red flag in the minds of potential consumers about a high number of problems with that particular product. Either way it's a lose-lose situation.

As a consumer, when I spend $800 on a vacuum I damn well better get more than 5 yrs. of service out of it before I have to face a repair bill which is almost half the original purchase price of the unit.

Regarding taking their units to my buddy...
They're choosing this as an alternative to paying far more if they did take it to an authorized service center.

As cost-conscious and increasingly savvy consumers who consult the vast numbers of resources available to us prior to making large purchases, we as a community come to associate certain brand names as being synonymous with quality: 3M, Apple, Porsche, and at some point Dyson due in part to their very effective marketing campaign and the initial reviews of those who have fairly recently purchased one and are fascinated with the technology and the fact that before the unit reaches what I feel is a very premature MTBF, the thing rocks! When it does reach the failure point, we as a society are becoming more and more "okay" for lack of a better, more fitting term, with the fact that "they don't make 'em like they used to!" and we accept the diagnosis and justify the failure as being.... well.... acceptable given the age of the device and how good of a job it did before it imploded. However, if we discover at a later date that a high percentage of people experienced the same issue at approximately the same time in the life of the unit..... warranty or not, it pisses people off. And the very first statement 99% of those people are going to make is, "If they knew there was a problem, ehy didn't they just change the design?"

I'm not taking a stand either way. I don't own one. Nope, we got high-dollared years before the Dyson by Rainbow vacuums and for reasons I'm still unclear of, spent over $1500 for it! LOL!

I'm not arguing with you, I'm really not. I'm more playing Devil's advocate and approaching the situation with what I thought was a very cool device, as an informed, tight-assed with a buck, consumer.

Don't even get me started on Kirby's!!

Thanks for your reply,

Regards,
Steve
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

Dell truly makes POS computers. Been in this business long enough to know that they are junk. Always have been and probably always will be.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by itguy05:

said by Spork35:

Dell truly makes POS computers. Been in this business long enough to know that they are junk. Always have been and probably always will be.

That's another thread but you fall into the same category as the post you were addressing described. Simply brilliant!
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by Spork35:

That's another thread but you fall into the same category as the post you were addressing described. Simply brilliant!

No, I can cite what I saw - inferior components, poor assembly, and a host of other things that make Dell junk computers. But ilke you said, that's another topic.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by itguy05:

said by Spork35:

No, I can cite what I saw - inferior components, poor assembly, and a host of other things that make Dell junk computers. But ilke you said, that's another topic.

We all see a lot of things in life but that doesn't make that stuff facts. It shapes our OPINIONS. When people speak OPINIONS in a way to make them sound like facts there where stuff goes badly for them. Hopefully those people know to use proper terminology like "From my experience" or "In my opinion" when they start those discussions. In the Dell case if they were that bad I doubt all the fortune 500 companies who use them exclusively would still be using them if reality was equal to opinions. The facts tend to speak for themselves.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I work at one of those Fortune 500 companies that use Dell and I assure you, the I.T. people who service them mostly think they're junk, too. Lots of hard drive failures and video failutes with the laptops, mostly. Motherboard failures with the desktop "workstations."

Just because Dell underbids others when lease RFQs go out doesn't mean that they use quality stuff. Companies use the machines with the lowest costs (considering lease and warranty/repair), not based on reliability.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by garys_2k:

I work at one of those Fortune 500 companies that use Dell and I assure you, the I.T. people who service them mostly think they're junk, too. Lots of hard drive failures and video failutes with the laptops, mostly. Motherboard failures with the desktop "workstations."

Just because Dell underbids others when lease RFQs go out doesn't mean that they use quality stuff. Companies use the machines with the lowest costs (considering lease and warranty/repair), not based on reliability.

We all also think any branded PC is junk. Not much thought goes into it except it's not a custom built machine. We've all been there and have that t-shirt. It's just some understand this while others pretend not to so that they can cherry pick stuff to their liking. Kind of like the Dyson discussions as well. Like all brand discussions actually. That's what makes branded discussions interesting I guess.

Is it the pc manufacture's failure when a WD drive fails? How can HP, IBM, or Dell control WD? Sure blame the wrong person since that works for everything else.
Expand your moderator at work

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Re: Dyson: upright vs canister?

Just thought I'd update the thread after using my Miele S5 Continuum for almost three months...

I LOVE IT.

This thing is amazing. I've put it through heavy use and it does the job like no other vacuums I have owned. I now have a cleaning lady who has been cleaning houses and condos for 30 years and she says she's never seen that kind of quality.

What surprised me the most is when I changed the first bag... the compartment was 100% clean, not a single visible particle of dust. Changing the bag was a breeze, no mess whatsoever.

I'm very happy with my purchase and it was worth every cent. Makes vacuuming fun as opposed to a chore.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Fronkman to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
we have a 15 year old oreck that we got from my in-laws. it has worked flawlessly for the 4 years we have had it so far.

ironically, they gave us the oreck because they "upgraded" to a dyson. guess which vaccuum has been in the repair shop TWICE since then? (it was the dyson)

back in december my mother in law tried to ask for the oreck back in trade for their newly-repaired dyson.

i declined.
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to TigerLord

to TigerLord
»www.amazon.com/Carpet-Pr ··· &sr=1-12
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Grats on the Miele. We picked up a Dyson about 6 months ago and have the same exact review as yours. I actually do most of the vacuuming now. It's so fast and easy I try to do it as one of my chores so the wife is happy.

Fighterpilot
join:2000-04-20
Saint Louis, MO

Fighterpilot to TigerLord

to TigerLord
4 or 5 bills for a vaccuum?

RECESSION'S OVER EVERYONE!!!!

Wow, not to judge but that is just idiotic. Hey, a sale will probably keep someone employed, for a day, or two.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Fighterpilot:

4 or 5 bills for a vaccuum?

RECESSION'S OVER EVERYONE!!!!

Wow, not to judge but that is just idiotic. Hey, a sale will probably keep someone employed, for a day, or two.

Don't hold your breath waiting for me.

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I heard the upright ball model work well, but I'm concerned at all the recent 1 star reviews I've read on Amazon. Anyone I know who owns a Dyson rave about it, but they've all had it for years.

Is it possible the build quality recently took a nosedive? Or are they just whiny customers expecting miracles?

We have a DC 15 animal ball (had it for years) and it works great. No problems other than the kids running over the cord a few times. We have two dogs in the house and it seems to do very well.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I've been happiest since I picked up a Roomba at Costco. The job it does is decent and it does it all by itself. THAT is nice!

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
TigerLord See Profile 'Gratz on the Miele purchase. I doubt you'll be dissatisfied. My wife and I went through this same thing about 5yrs ago and ended up with a Oreck. We beat the crap out it. It still ran well, so we bought another and use the old one in the basement.
I just like the simple, lightweight, but powerful design. I seriously doubt we'd ever consider a Dyson ... but that Miele ... nice purchase.