Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

david13579

join:2008-01-10
Astoria, NY

[billing] Wow, I just found out verizon has been charging me for

services I never use.

They have been charging me for "online security", "Games on Demand" and "Starz Play". They have been charging me since May without me ever knowing about it.

I don't need any damn online security (that probably doest even work). I don't play games on computers and I already have Netflix so why do I need Starz Play for?.

What I am supposed to do?. I guess this all happened when I called to move my DSL line to another apartment. That is over 300 dollars I payed without knowing ( it goes straight to a credit card I never look at and I get no bills)

dataice
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon Online DSL

4 edits

Re: [billing] Wow, I just found out verizon has been charging me

They did the same exact thing to me. This past March when I dropped my voice service and went dry loop on DSL, when I got my bill in late April they had signed me up for Verizon Online Security Suite (I already have an adequate AV), Verizon Games on Demand (no use for that) Premium Tech Support. (I still giggle over that claim), and Starz Play (I already get Starz Play with my Netflix subscription). $50 in extra monthly charges on top of $44.99 for the DSL. My bill was nearly $95 for a 3 Mbit DSL line. Saying I was upset is an understatement.

Luckily when they tried to pressure me into using my credit or debit card for their EZ Pay service when going dry loop I refused it and said bill me directly on my bill and I will pay online when it's due. Which is what I have been doing on this account at this address since 2004. The rep I spoke to was very unfriendly and all but called me a liar when I told her I have no use whatsoever for any of those services, and I cancelled them, and I have a confirmation e-mail saying so.

When they sent the e-mail offering them to me I immediately clicked on the links in the e-mail and said I am not interested in these services. They sign you up automatically when the customer makes any major changes to the account. It came with a two week free trial for all four services, but I cancelled on day one within an hour of receiving the original e-mail. The e-mail said I would not see any charges for the optional services because I cancelled prior to the two week free trial ending.

I received an confirmation e-mail about an hour later that said they were sorry I was not interested in them but if I change my mind just go to the Broadband Essentials and Extra's on the online signup page. I thought that was the end of it. Thank God I saved that e-mail as my proof. I told her you have one option here, credit me for the unwanted services I did NOT request nor approve, or I contact my states AG and let them deal with it. Only then did she give me a full credit. This type of thing should be illegal.

As far as your situation goes call the DSL support line at 1-800-567-6789 and they can assist you with the billing issues. However, I think your chances of getting a full credit for the five or six months they billed you for the extra services are probably slim. I have a pretty good idea what they will say. Why did it take you this long to realize this? You're responsible for reporting billing issues. We will stop future charges, but you are responsible for the $300 for the previous months you had the services.

You can then push the issue and tell them you will seek legal advice and call your states AG office. They may then give in. I know people get busy in their daily lives and may not check their statement immediately like they should. I myself have been guilty of doing this. I have been burned several times in the past, so now I make sure I go over my statement with a fine tooth comb every month. You may want to do the same. Just some friendly advice. As far as your credit card issue with not receiving any bills in the mail, you can then access the activity/billing information at your credit card issuers web-site. I've never heard of one not supporting that if the customer is on paperless billing. Without this information the customer would have no idea what activity is going on with their account. Good luck.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

When I bundled and upgraded my speed to 7 back in 2010, they managed to get that excess crap on the order, but not the correct speed. Luckily I caught it immediately and canceled it. The rep kept trying to convince me that I need those additional features, and that I also need to install their remote access software. Then she tried convincing me to enroll in auto-pay "since you already have paperless billing." Nuh uh. They're the last people I would ever let help themselves to my money. "But it's just like using your bank's online bill pay service or a credit card." No, sister, it ain't: *I* decide what to pay you, not the other way around.

They want people to be ignorant and just hate it when they encounter someone who isn't.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

mommamomma

@verizon.net
reply to david13579

screw verizon for pulling crap like this. but sorry this is what u get for not looking at your bill every month.

said by david13579:

services I never use.

They have been charging me for "online security", "Games on Demand" and "Starz Play". They have been charging me since May without me ever knowing about it.

I don't need any damn online security (that probably doest even work). I don't play games on computers and I already have Netflix so why do I need Starz Play for?.

What I am supposed to do?. I guess this all happened when I called to move my DSL line to another apartment. That is over 300 dollars I payed without knowing ( it goes straight to a credit card I never look at and I get no bills)

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to david13579

While I don't condone this if it's true, it takes me no more than 10 minutes a month to quickly scan through my credit card activity for anything that doesn't look right. It doesn't matter whether you receive a bill, electronic or paper.

david13579

Astoria, NY

Since I never use the card other than to pay for internet, and cellphone, I never bother to look at the bill. I just look at the cellphone bill for any problem with and with the internet I dont even bother because I expected it to be the same rate every month.

What number should I call to have then cancel it (the extra stuff)? Can the people on the "direct" board do it without having to call?

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon Online DSL

Call 1-800-567-6789. Since those services are attached to your DSL service only their billing department can remove them. You can also go to Verizon's web-site and sign in with your My Verizon userid. If you never set your account up do that now. You can then sign into the Broadband Essentials and Extras section and then un-subscribe from there.

I think you will have better luck having a live rep do this, especially if you're planning on obtaining a credit for the prior months. You won't be issued any credits through the web-site. That will only stop future charges. It may take a couple of billing cycles before you see the charges disappear. I don't know if Verizon Direct here can assist you with cancelling, but it certainly can't hurt to try. If they can't help they will let you know.

david13579

Astoria, NY

I tried from the web site (that is how I found out about it when I logged in for the first time). It does not let me remove services there. Just add more or change them

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon Online DSL

4 edits

It let me cancel online, but then again I did it before that two week free trial had ended. I was billed anyway and had to call them. They are probably hoping if they make it difficult cancelling online the customer will give up and just keep paying. If it won't allow you to drop them on the web-site then you have no choice but to call them on the # I provided. (800-567-6789)

When you get into the voice prompts make sure you request the billing department, not technical support. Tech support will just bounce you back into their automated system from hell.

I know it's a pain but there's really no way to avoid calling them. When I called I was in the cue for nearly 45 minutes before I finally got a live rep, so be prepared to wait. I was ready to throw my phone against the wall after 10 minutes of the Barry Manilow muzak.

Underhill

@159.245.32.x

I had the same thing happen. I called and they refunded me the last 2 months that they had been charging me.

Then I get my next bill, and there it is again. So they deducted 2 months worth but left the service on (which I had never used, looked at or even heard of). So I had to sit on hold again for another 45 minutes to get it taken off.

But they know many of us in our area are over a barrel. It's not like we can cancel. There is nothing else available so they get away with it.