Search similar:

uniqs
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to dprus

to dprus

Re: [Qwest] New Firmware Q1000

dprus, I can email you the file if you need it.
dprus
join:2010-01-15
North Bend, WA

dprus

So I got the new firmware from ArizonaSteve and applied it to my modem and I'm still getting the 404 errors everywhere when I click links from /main.html. I tried resetting the modem by holding the reset button for 30 seconds as well and that didn't help either.

I finally e-mailed the TalkToUs guys at CenturyLink and they're overnighting me a new modem (which is pretty good service). I'll be receiving that modem tonight and hopefully things will be somewhat back to normal. Just FYI for anyone else who's having the same problems I am.
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

I don't use main.html and don't know if I ever could but 192.168.0.1 works fine.
dprus
join:2010-01-15
North Bend, WA

dprus

I wonder then if they actually broke /main.html ? Is anyone else using the latest firmware and all the links under /main.html still work fine?
dprus

dprus

So I just received the replacement modem from CenturyLink and verified that on »192.168.0.1/main.html many of the links give 404s and the pages are screwed up. This is obviously "by design" for this new firmware from CenturyLink.

It's a pity - the firmware looks broken and half-baked now and I've lost the ability to see what my actual line sync speed is (i.e. my line syncs at ~80mbit/~13mbit even though I only have the 40/5 service. At least, this much was true when I could view this information using the old firmware).

Add this to the fact that the firmware update that was automatically pushed to me broke many of my settings and forced me to spend 20 mins fixing everything and I think this entire update process was performed very poorly by Centurylink. I'm not the happiest right now.
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

1 recommendation

ArizonaSteve

Yeah, looks like their main emphasis was on adding IPv6 and they didn't pay much attention to how other areas were impacted. They fixed some things that were broken before like reporting an actual value for Attenuation instead of always showing zero. Some of the features that used to be there have been moved to other areas like self tests now being located on the blue Utilities page but there doesn't seem to be any place that displays the sync speed anymore. The next upgrade will probably fix the broken links, etc.
bbigg
join:2011-12-06
CF10 3BB

bbigg to kiknwing

to kiknwing
Couldn't post QAQ002-31.20L.4, could you? I'm trying to figure out why what I'm building from source can't get the ethernet ports going (which I've been able to do under previous bcm source releases.

Thanks in advance

Denver Bob
@qwest.net

Denver Bob

Anon

Re: [Qwest] New Firmware Q1000 - QAQ002-31.20L.4

My modem was also updated to the new software - without my knowledge, but since I am now leasing it - I guess it was within their purview.

I did have admin passwords set, remote access was enabled with an admin password that I set and had a DDNS that used to work, but now doesn't.

After several family members complained this or that wasn't working - I physically reset the modem and the broken stuff started working again. I just checked the software version and found it on the new one.

A note to Century-link --> I don't mind you updating the firmware - Just give me a head's up when you do - Please. If things break, it makes it easier to understand what happened. I am sometimes not home for weeks - so I don't know when you push, nor do I hear "oh, this stopped working" from my family. If I was aware, I could tell them, "Go power cycle the modem - and let me know if it still doesn't work".

I see several posts that customers OWN their own modem - Legally you should not push an update unless given specific approval. If you believe you have the authority - maybe it is time to reiterate that you have the authority or would like to have that authority. That equipment is theirs - not yours.

It is nice to have re-configurable equipment - don't get me wrong, but if it is my equipment - it is my decision, not yours. At least with Microsoft, you can shut off updates - because some of us want stable platforms that don't change underneath us - without our control.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Denver Bob :

If you believe you have the authority - maybe it is time to reiterate that you have the authority or would like to have that authority. That equipment is theirs - not yours.

If this modem is not from your ISP, shame on them.

If this modem is from your ISP, that is most likely in the ToS that they can remotely control the router (including update firmware).
hutington
join:2011-05-04
Boulder, CO

1 recommendation

hutington to Dave651

to Dave651

Re: [Qwest] New Firmware Q1000

This also happened to me in the last November. I was traveling and the unexpected firmware upgrade caused lot of problem in my house (internet tv , VOIP etc). When returned I was wondering how this can happen without my knowledge. This post answers the question. I too think that CenturyLink should have given a heads up before forcing an upgrade. Also I notice that the modem now uses 79% of the memory while serving 12 devices. That said, I am very happy with the new firmware. I haven't noticed any change in download/ upload speed (stays constantly at 18.5 / 4.6) . With the upgrade, the modem now reserves an IP for each MAC address. Previously the devices used to get random IP from Q1000 after a reboot. I also love the automatic update of WAN IP to DynDns. This is great from me since I check my home camera (and login to the router) remotely. Also I noticed that the remote login to the router is much faster now.
TechWhiz
join:2004-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

TechWhiz to es1

to es1
There's a workaround I've noticed with the administrator login not logging out.

Once you're done configuring, go to http://<modem_ip>/login.html and enter the wrong login info. You will be logged out.

Another interesting page in this firmware is at http://<modem_ip>/supportutilities_toolbox.html which seems to give you the ability to mirror traffic from one port to another port on your network.
hutington
join:2011-05-04
Boulder, CO

1 recommendation

hutington

What is the use of mirroring traffic ?

Subaqua
@macktronics.com

Subaqua to TechWhiz

Anon

to TechWhiz
My modem was also upgraded back in the Nov 2011 timeframe. I didn't have any trouble until I noticed that I could long ping my modem but it was still routing traffic just fine .. So I let it go because I could still get to the Internet and I figured I would find some time to looking into why the admin interface wasn't working later.

And then in late December I started having multiple failures where I would lose access to the internet ... my DSL link would be fine but for some reason, I had lost authentication (this is according to the tech at CenturyLink). Rebooting the modem always resolved the problem but since I have servers running web sites for people I didn't want the outages to continue.

So, I opened up another case with Century Link and they dispatched a tech out and he did circuit testing inside and outside the home and back to the CO and I think put me on another port back at the CO. They didn't find any issues with the physical circuit which agrees with the DSL line quality data they were seeing from their office ... the line looked good.

So ... anyway while the tech was here, he of course wanted to look at the administration interface on the Q1000 and I showed me the new peculiar behavior that only occurs when running version QAQ002-31.20L.4.

With QAQ002-31.20L.4:
- you can access the admin WebGUI and telnet Interface only when the "INT" lite is off.
- if you unplug the phone line from the modem, you can ping the modem; if you plug the phone line back in, you can continue to ping and reach the admin interfaces until the point in time when the INT light turns back on.
- He said he had never seen this before and said I must have a bad modem.

So ... he went and grabbed a new modem from the truck which still had the factory installed release of QAQ01-31.00L.34. We hooked this up and put in my needed changes for authentication and the static IP settings and I was back on-line with both DSL and INT lights on *AND* I could still reach the admin interface and ping the address of the router from my directly connected computer.

Next, we decided to apply the firmware update (since I figured they would push it anyway without asking). We did that and as soon as we were running version : QAQ002-31.20L.4, the admin interface was no longer available whenever the admin link is up! So, there's something with this firmware version, QAQ002-31.20L.4
that when used in combination with my settings that prevents all access to the modem when it is authenticated to ISP and routing traffic.

Nobody at Century Link was useful in helping so I am asking for any ideas out here.

My settings are basically:
- no wireless
- 1 block of static IP addresses (a /29)
- I disabled the firewall on the router to see if that had anything to do with it ... no change
- no nat / port forwarding or anything

I have a couple internet exposed servers directly connected to the Q1000; one of them is a homemade Linux router which does NAT/DHCP on the internal network.

It's been configured this way for 14 years (prior to the Q1000 I had Cisco 675/678 routers)

Anyone else seen this behavior ? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

> swversion
QAQ002-31.20L.4
Ken339
join:2012-02-17
Sedona, AZ

Ken339 to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve
well my modem was also updated with new firmware and I have nothing but problems also. One thing that is missing is you can no longer change the wireless speed from 20 mhz to 40mhz enabling you to get the full wireless N 300 speed,I used to get 270, now I get 130, the setting was in the wireless set up 802.1x, the only way out is to get a new modem and notify "Century Fink" not to download firmware to your modem, if you connect a new modem and don't call them the firmware will automatically download,I am dumping their service as soon as I can get cable run to my house, anyway just my 2 cents worth
Ken
Chongo
join:2007-12-11
Phoenix, AZ

Chongo to openupshop

to openupshop
The new firmware allowed me to use the Q1000 my sister was no longer using after she moved. My Motorola 3347 was blocking ewtn.mobi . When I initially tried the Q1000 it would not train. I noticed the firmware zip file posted in this thread and updated the modem and it trained. (I can go to ewtn.mobi now!) I went to work the next day and when I got home I found the modem was updated to the latest firmware.
csinkhorn
join:2012-03-06
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

csinkhorn to openupshop

to openupshop
the firmware QAQ002-31.20L.4 is worthless when it comes to transparent bridging. I have been trying for a week to get it to work and no luck. What happens when i put it in transparent bridging is it shows its in but i am still able to access the modem. The modem is still authenticating with century link and they are saying nothing is wrong. talked to actiontec and they agree something is wrong with the firmware.

in short i am about fed up with century link and about to tell my customer to get someone else.

they have sent me one replacement already, but it had the new firmware and did the exact same thing......

trying to get them to send me a q1000z to see if that modem will work better with transparent bridging... we will see...