spc
Search similar:

uniqs

gdunkle
@direcpc.com

gdunkle

Anon

Help buying new modem for 1.5 mbps CenturyLink internet

Thanks for reading my post. We have 1.5 mbps CenturyLink internet service scheduled to be live by the end of the day tomorrow. I declined to lease a Westell 660 modem from them, thinking I could buy one online. Haven't had a lot of luck finding one. What is the best modem I can get that will work with this service and where should I get it? I have a wireless router, so we don't need that feature. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Graham
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 edit

Mr Matt

You should consider renting a modem from CenturyLink unless you have had a lot of experience setting up ADSL service and your ADSL service is stable. CenturyLink will only provide technical support for their modems. Edit: Important: Check with CenturyLink and find out if they will send you DSL Filters if you do not rent the modem from them.

I do not have CenturyLink DSL but helped a couple of friends set up their CenturyLink DSL Service. In one case we replaced CenturyLink's modem with a Motorola modem. Unfortunately that modem is no longer listed on Walmart's website. If you are using a separate router/wireless router you will get best results if you put the modem in the bridge mode.

Walmart has several ADSL Modems listed and has a liberal return policy.

Go here:
»www.walmart.com/search/s ··· t=modems

If that URL does not take you to modems, access the Walmart website and type modems into the search box. Unfortunately whoever set up that category does not allow for selection of type of modem. (ADSL or Cable).

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to gdunkle

MVM

to gdunkle
The Zyxel P-660M-D1 should work well. It is just a basic modem and is shipped in bridge mode (which you want if you already have a router). It's about $40, less on ebay. One warning, it does not have a web interface to configure with. It is done by telnet through a command prompt. There's not much to configure, though, and it is fairly easy to do.

gdunkle
@direcpc.com

gdunkle

Anon

Thanks Mr. Matt. I have not had a lot of experience setting up ADSL service and I have no idea if my ADSL service is stable. I'd like something that is straight forward to set up. Are you familiar with the Zyxel P-660M-D1? Also, will I need DSL Filters if I'm not using the phone line for anything but internet?

Thanks Bill. The Zyxel P-660M-D1 sounds good. Will it come with instructions on how to configure by telnet through a command prompt? What type of configuring will it require?

Thanks guys, for your help so far.

Graham
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to gdunkle

to gdunkle
The Actiontec GT701 is a good basic modem for 1.5mb ADSL that works well. It's easy to setup using a web interface and all you need to do is put in your PPP Username and Password to get started. It has wi-fi but it's only B/G and you don't need to use it if you already have a wireless router. I have one for just $15 if you want it.

gdunkle
@direcpc.com

gdunkle

Anon

Thanks Steve. What does PPP stand for? How about B/G? How does the Actiontec GT701 compare to the ZyXEL P660M-D1? How can I pay you for the Actiontec GT701 if we go that route?

joebleed
join:2002-05-28
Tarboro, NC

joebleed to gdunkle

to gdunkle
the ZyXEL P660M-D1 comes pre-configured for dhcp. If you're a new customer in old embarq territory, then that is all you need, no configuration needed.

If you need to configure it, you can ask here for instructions. Don't remember if the last one i bought came with instructions on the cd or not. You can probably get the manual from their website.

as for it comming already in bridged mode, i think that is the only mode it offers. Routing is not an option for the ZyXEL P660M-D1. You will need your own separate router if you're doing more than one computer or network device.

SlowSlowSlow
@qwest.net

SlowSlowSlow to gdunkle

Anon

to gdunkle
If you use the Actiontec GT701 be sure to upgrade the firmware to the latest version.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to gdunkle

to gdunkle
The PPP Username and Password is assigned to you by the phone company and is what you have to put into any DSL modem to make it work. If you look at the modem settings page the Qwest Username looks like yourname@qwest.net but the password is shown as all dots (......). It's an 8 digit passwork that looks like a random assortment of letters and numbers. You will have to call, email or text them to find out what they are. This is easier if you already have a rental modem then just check the setting on it and put the same ones into the new modem. There is usually nothing else you need to configure since all the defaults generally work.
I've never used a ZyXEL P660M-D1 and don't know anything about them but all the DSL modems are pretty similar. I can take paypal.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to gdunkle

to gdunkle
If you see a CL van stopped at DSLAM somewhere, stop and chat with him. He will probably have a pile of refurbished Zyxel ADSL modems, he might give you one for free.
I got given a few this year, the tech told me the company buys them for 99 cents and they are untrackable.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to gdunkle

to gdunkle
I didn't know anything about dsl either. Went to Best Buy and purchased a Quest branded modem. It is a M1000 and was Plug & Play, real easy.
BigVe
join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

BigVe to gdunkle

to gdunkle
All kinds of cheap modems on Ebay.Westell, Netopia, Zoom, Actiontec, 2Wire etc. and will cost you anything from 1 dollar and up + shipping