Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939

Re: Apple may dump the Mac Pro?

said by sk1939:

I know, both are heading the same direction; if not full fledged mobile, they are aiming for mobile or touch based interface.

Windows 7 supports multi touch screen input already, Windows 8 will support it even better, but still have a normal interface.

Apple is weird, is their multi-touch interface is the touchpad, or that magic trackpad thing... They dont appear to want to do a touch screen computer, at least not yet. They will have to at some point.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Windows does yes, but it still isn't optimized for it, especially with smaller screens. Windows 8 with tiles I think is a step towards that.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
Seeing what Apple did with OS X Lion Server it is no surprise they got rid of the XServe! BUT it does make the Mac Pro (or mini) a much better option for SOHO servers with OS X Lion.

Just my $0.02

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

Just checked the Mac Pro page here (»store.apple.com/ph/brows ··· /mac_pro). They have added a Server option in addition to the Quad-Core, 8-Core and 12-Core options available since the last time I visited the page. I've have my eye on the 12-Core since it was added. Hope to have one before the end of the year.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

Seeing what Apple did with OS X Lion Server it is no surprise they got rid of the XServe! BUT it does make the Mac Pro (or mini) a much better option for SOHO servers with OS X Lion.

I guess if Apple's resigned to only be deployed to homes & the smallest of businesses, then fine. They don't seem to be giving an official message for their larger customers to GTFO and buy a Windows/Linux solution, but these actions speak pretty loudly in terms of server support.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

Just my $0.02

We have two xserves. Last night while cleaning, we found a spare hard drive for one, a power supply and a logic board!

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by djrobx:

High end movie studios and designers use them and are generally willing to spare no expense to get premium performance. They don't want a consumer toy.

To me, it looks like Mac OS is heading towards being a consumer toy, aka iOS for the desktop with similar restrictions. Maybe not totally restricted in 10.8, but I can see it in the future not being able to install apps not from the Mac App Store.

There's been zero evidence to show that Apple would completely restrict what apps are installed on their desktops and laptops. Just because there's Launchpad, which gives your computer a bit of an iOS-like feel, a small but vocal group have been panicking that Apple's going to totally lock down the machine. Let it go.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Thaler to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Count Zero:

Just my $0.02

We have two xserves. Last night while cleaning, we found a spare hard drive for one, a power supply and a logic board!

Imagine what's in the break room couch.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
also the UI of the OS is not as important as long as they do not make the applications be touch compatible too. so even if OSX took on an iOS type style in image it does not mean that something like Maya or Photoshop cant retain their mouse based interfacing.

maxwell2112
Rock n Rolls all night and
join:2002-02-10
Ferndale, WA

maxwell2112 to donoreo

to donoreo
I really do not believe it could happen or that they are really thinking about it. Mac Pros are in every high end recording studio in the world and used for all the computer animation stuff, which will need a Mac Pro to keep getting more advanced. It will not happen. Makes no sense.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
I have multiple GPUs in my Mac Pro. I have a Raedeon 2600 driving my 20" and a 5770 driving my 27" screen... they just don't do SLI or CrossFire...
Count Zero

Count Zero to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
I highly doubt Apple could go so far as to make it impossible to load apps onto a Macintosh w/o going through the Mac App Store. They will try to make the App Store the default route for customers to think of when it comes time to buy software. . .

OS X Lion may have more eye candy than 10.6 or 10.5 but the underpinnings are still the same stuff that power users have loved in the past.

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium Member
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV

macsierra8 to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
Old thread, but relevant again..

I didn't know it until last week but Apple has put compatible drivers in for the Radeon HD 6870 video cards in the Mac Pro. But only in OSX 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7

I just got the below one from Newegg in my Pro 4.1 and it's working like it was native to my system..

XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card