spc
uniqs

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Re: Dyson: upright vs canister?

I've decided to go with Miele for four reasons:

1) ConsumerReport did not like the Dysons much, and the user reviews are just as polarized there as they are on Amazon or other popular sites. CR basically said the Dyson were overpriced vs their performance ratio (you pay for the PR)

2) The Miele are well reviewed on CR, the user reviews are mostly positive both on CR and other review sites

3) The Miele vacuums are "modular." Let me explain. The Miele basically have a few series of canisters they call S4, S5, S7, etc... then within each category, you'd get the S4281, S4921, S4019, S5351, S591, etc... basically, within each series of canister you get the exact same performance. The only thing that changes from model numbers within the same series is the color of the canister and the attachments that come with them. In that sense, it's a great money saver because where I am going I will only have hardwood floors. So I can dispense of any carpet attachments and save a few hundred dollars, and get their best hardwood attachment instead. If I move in a few years, I can just buy a new attachment if I ever have carpets.

For each category of attachment (hard floor and carpet) they have various attachments ranging in price and quality. For instance, the SEB- 236 is their best carpet attachment with an electronic brush head, but it's 330$... I'll only get their widest hard floor attachment instead, the SBB-400, thus saving 330$ for something I will never use in the short future.

4) They have a better warranty, is easier to get serviced in my area and they seem to be better engineered (though the ol' German engineering motto is no longer what it used to be).

The Miele S5 ranked in at #2 with 71 points, just under a Kenmore Intuition in #1 with 72 points. The Miele is also twice the price, but you get twice the power. It's only worth it if you like your "clean" to be VERY clean, which I do like.
Expand your moderator at work

emk1028
Premium Member
join:2006-04-23
Douglassville, PA

emk1028 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord

Re: Dyson: upright vs canister?

I have a refurb Dyson dc07 I purchased from Woot 4 years ago and no problems, and I still love it.
Check out »www.woot.com/ today 11/12.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Yes -- Great deal on Woot for the Dyson Ball DC25!

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by robbin:

Yes -- Great deal on Woot for the Dyson Ball DC25!

Not really a good deal on Woot for the DC25. Same thing from ABC Warehouse is about $20 cheaper.
»www.abcvacuumwarehouse.c ··· BID=2606

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

How do you consider the ABC Warehouse price of $330 to be $20 cheaper than the Woot deal of $250?

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by robbin:

How do you consider the ABC Warehouse price of $330 to be $20 cheaper than the Woot deal of $250?

It comes up $353 when I go there. Unauthorized reseller as well so warranty is void. Not a good deal.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Not sure where you are going but it was a one day Woot deal on Saturday the 12th and was also available with an extended square trade warranty. $250 plus $5 shipping for the DC25.