Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction

Re: Apple may dump the Mac Pro?

said by pnjunction:

You can upgrade the video card in Mac Pros and I bet that just burns their bean counters up. $2500+ is way too little for the ability to upgrade a video card!! Solder that sucker down or charge $5k at least.

Video Card upgradeability on the Mac Pro is crap at best, as you are limited to just a handful of Apple Blessed ones, never the fastest out there and never multi GPU. And you usually get screwed if your Mac Pro is a generation or two behind.

Sure there are ROM hacks for vanilla PC cards, but there can be issues with that.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

I have multiple GPUs in my Mac Pro. I have a Raedeon 2600 driving my 20" and a 5770 driving my 27" screen... they just don't do SLI or CrossFire...

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium Member
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV

macsierra8

Premium Member

Old thread, but relevant again..

I didn't know it until last week but Apple has put compatible drivers in for the Radeon HD 6870 video cards in the Mac Pro. But only in OSX 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7

I just got the below one from Newegg in my Pro 4.1 and it's working like it was native to my system..

XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card