uniqs

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

blocking telemarketers calls

I searched the last 10 pages for this but could not find anything on it.
I keep getting a call almost everyday. They say that they can reduce my credit rates. My rates at ether o% or I pay it off every month. Are there some sort of device that I set to block these calls?

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Home phone or wireless?
If wireless, which provider and what phone?
Do you live in the USA or elsewhere?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

I have wired comcast voice and I live in Washington state

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

lol. That's easy, too easy.
Have you logged into the web interface for your Comcast Voice and set that stuff up?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
Have you signed up for the Federal "do not call list?" There may also be a State list.

Not perfect but it seems to help.

If you do get called answer politely and say you are on the Do Not Call list and would appreciate they abide by Federal law.

/tom

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
I have all anonymous calls blocked but these calls have numbers that will allow the calls go threw.
Caddyroger

Caddyroger to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
Yes I am on the do not call list. Next time I'll listen to them. I got a feeling that these are different company or using different number

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

You know, you could have loads of fun with these idiots. I got this woman from Canada, that was trying to sell me magazines, tell me near the end of the call, 'You Americans are all alike.' I told her, 'Whoa! Let's not start an International incident.' To this day, I still wish I had recorded it.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
If you have been on the gov Do Not Call list for at least a few months then you need to report these companies via the same website. PLEASE!

Personally I don't waste my time messing with the callers. They don't control who they call or know if they are legally calling someone. They are simply trying to make a buck. It's the owners of those companies that need to be held accountable. Giving a hard time to someone just trying to make a legit buck is not what I'm about. It won't close the business down.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
The DNC seems to get a large number of some numbers/telemarketers then shuts them down after a few months. My provider (AT&T) has call blocking which effectively doesn't block. They allow the caller to still leave a message on the answer machine and basically only blocks the number showing on the ID caller so you don't know which number to complain about for the DNC ( I suspect some advertisers have got to them since call blocking didn't used to function this way)

The only thing I have figured out so far is to have ID caller and just not answer a number you are unfamiliar with. Not the best solution. I actually haven't seen any less calls since the DNC system began, maybe others have.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

I have all anonymous calls blocked but these calls have numbers that will allow the calls go threw.

Does Comcast allow you to block specific numbers or ranges of numbers?

If not, independent VoIP companies (such as VOIPo) certainly do---and are a lot cheaper than Comcast's phone service too!

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by Caddyroger:

If not, independent VoIP companies (such as VOIPo) certainly do---and are a lot cheaper than Comcast's phone service too!

This. Voicepulse feature set is also very robust and they also have an outright telemarketer block.

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx to dandelion

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

The only thing I have figured out so far is to have ID caller and just not answer a number you are unfamiliar with. Not the best solution. I actually haven't seen any less calls since the DNC system began, maybe others have.

I have "ID caller" as well, I will pickup an unfamiliar (suspect) number then quickly hangup! That way I don`t have to listen or get a message left on my machine,
and also make them "spend their dime".

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by Caddyroger:

My comcast phone service price is comparable to voip phone service. I had voip phone service with 3 different voip company's before Comcast but did not like them. I had droped calls calls not getting getting to me.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

I searched the last 10 pages for this but could not find anything on it.
I keep getting a call almost everyday. They say that they can reduce my credit rates. My rates at ether o% or I pay it off every month. Are there some sort of device that I set to block these calls?

Search the Scam amd Phishbusters forum for calls from "Heather" and you find plenty on it. Here's a recent thread. The name changes but the calls are the same and they have nothing to do with your actual credit situation. And unfortunately no one has been able to stop or block these calls. Reporting them does no good because whatever you see in caller ID is faked and it changes with every call.

mady

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
I assumed if you picked up, they would call more often knowing there is someone on the line?

redhat1968
join:2000-10-17
Appleton, WI

redhat1968 to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
air-horns work wonders...lol
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

This could be effective: »www.merlinsilk.com/2011/ ··· -murder/
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to redhat1968

Premium Member

to redhat1968
said by redhat1968:

air-horns work wonders...

in keeping you on their call list.

I completed your post.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
The telezapper device works wonders if you can find one but it only works for calls generated by a computer and not ones that are done by hand.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
Ah... I remember the "bad old days" of having no control of my phones.
As already mentioned, many VoIP providers have pretty robust call filtering options available.

An asterisk system can control these calls quite well. When I get an unwanted call, I simply hang up and dial *32. That adds the last number that called me to a "blacklist". They can never call from that number again.
You can blacklist (or whitelist) entire area codes if need be.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Fronkman to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
i start yelling at them, demanding their name and employee numbers and saying that i am reporting them to the FCC and that they are all going to jail. it is a pile of garbage, but they never seem to call back...
RayGeode
join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT

RayGeode to CptGemini

to CptGemini
I like the telezapper too but our town's emergency messages are computer generated and come from an 866 number, so i would lose those......

I've been watching the caller ID's for a long time and the AT&T U-Verse call management is a little better than useless. I get a call ID of 1 but i can't block it through the AT&T management. I have to enter 10 digits so huh????? Also the worst offenders are robo calls which probably originate overseas and so thumb their nose at our FTC laws. The same robo caller changes his caller ID every week.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Click for full size
Here's how I block calls... I use Callcentric and set up a custom call treatment for any spammer who has ever harassed me. I send Comcast spam to Charter customer service, I send Bank of America credit card offers to their CEOs home phone. I send political donations calls to the other political party donations hotline. Then the rest I send to either voicemail, busy signal, number disconnected message.

Some very special callers get forwarded to a recording of screaming monkeys.

What's neat is that if the home phone or internet goes down (almost never happens), I can even set it to forward to my cell.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

I found this that seems like it would the job.

DIGITONE Call Blocker 10

»www.digitone.com/Digiton ··· cker.htm

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Sly

Premium Member

to Sly
said by Sly:

Here's how I block calls... I use Callcentric and set up a custom call treatment for any spammer who has ever harassed me.

I send Comcast spam to Charter customer service, I send Bank of America credit card offers to their CEOs home phone. I send political donations calls to the other political party donations hotline.

Then the rest I send to either voicemail, busy signal, number disconnected message.

Some very special callers get forwarded to a recording of screaming monkeys....

Looks like you've taken the Call Treatments thing to a whole new level.

I like the 'Revenge Factor' !

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
I tell them "No but I do have a number you can call him at.." Give them the rejection hotline number in chicago.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
I turned off the ringer on my phone 6 years ago.

Blessed silence ever since.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
I've always enjoyed this telemarketer prank, kind of over the top but funny.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

/tom
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to dandelion

to dandelion
I still have my little CIDCO device from the 1980's and use it to this day