spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Short Freezing on HD Channels

On Saturday night, I was watching FX HD (channel 751 here), and the picture would freeze up and then come back on 5-10 seconds later. It would do this repeatedly. I've also noticed this happening specifically during Ravens games on WJZ HD (channel 713).

Tonight I've found this with FX HD and now with Bio. HD too. I called ABB and they had me reset the box, and then all they said they could really do is send a tech out. I don't think this is a box issue, but something technical across the feed.

Is anyone else seeing this problem or have any idea what would be causing the problem?

Mountaintech
join:2003-05-30
Cumberland, MD

Mountaintech

I know this might be a long shot but do you know what node your on?
Os
US

1 edit

Os

I do not know. I live in the Potomac Park area, if that helps you any.

The channels I have the most problems with are FX HD (751) and Bio. HD (805). Would you know if they're on the same QAM? I'm thinking it might be the highest QAM and I'm having a hard time reaching that frequency. I haven't had terrible long-term problems with any other channels that I watch.

Mountaintech
Cumberland, MD

Mountaintech

BIO HD/FX HD are on the 2nd highest carrier and on same qam, Travel HD/Bravo HD are on the highest and on the same qam.

This freezing does it have any type of tiling/pixelation even the slightest assoicated with it?
Os
US

Os

No, there's no tiling or pixelation with it. It just stops, and then restarts.

I had awful pixelation to the point where I exchanged my box last week. I could only get 5 HD channels to work at all, and those came in a pixelated mess. The others were just black and said they'd be available shortly.

It's funny I don't have any problems with Bravo HD since it's the highest QAM. I don't watch Travel HD, so I don't know whether it has any problems.
Os

1 edit

Os

It got much worse tonight, it started trying to watch the Ravens game on NFL HD (780) and getting some macroblocking, which increasingly became more severe.

I was forced to use the SD feed for the game tonight, and I started to check Texas/Texas A&M during a commercial. ESPN HD was the worst pixelation I've ever seen.

It's progressively become worse now, and I've flipped through determining what had problems, if anything.

These channels are completely unwatchable, and say they'll be available shortly. If they come in, they come in horribly pixelated.

703 - WDCA HD
710 - WDCW HD
725 - USA HD
735 - ESPN HD
746 - Travel HD
767 - Bravo HD
769 - Syfy HD
780 - NFL HD

These channels come in, but have some macroblocking in them.

713 - WJZ HD
736 - ESPN 2 HD
745 - Animal Planet HD
747 - MASN HD
752 - Fox News HD
753 - Disney HD
773 - NatGeo HD
815 - Starz Comedy HD

Once the game is over, it looks like I'll have to call and set up an appointment. This is getting ridiculous.

UPDATE: If I screw the cable out of the box and hook it up to the TV, WDCA HD (125-3), WDCW HD (125-1) and WJZ HD (124-1) come in fine. Of course, since nothing else is in ClearQAM, I can't test it, but it appears to be the box again.

Mountaintech
Cumberland, MD

Mountaintech

Yeah your have to set up a service call because it definitely sounds like you have a line issue at your home or close to it since we have 2 techs that live in that area not to mention I have family there as well and none have seen any issues.

But you mention that the off air channels come in clear if you bypass the box there might be an issue with just the box or the hdmi cable or the control module of your tv, I've seen similar issues your explaining caused by all 3 not to mention other issues.

Also do a full channel search when your bypassing the settop box, you should have a lot more off air channels come in around 110-? to 113-? We carry 13 off air channels total but WJAL doesn't offer a HD channel so you should find 12 total in the clear plus your find the PPV Preview barker which is also in the clear think it sits around 88-? on the cable box it shows up as channel 880