All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lanwarrior
join:2007-08-09
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

Had U-Verse TV & 15Mbps Internet - now no longer available?

I had U-Verse TV and Internet (15 Mbps) in my apartment for almost 1 year in SoCal. U-Verse was the ONLY provider in my apartment building (a 3 years old building). I moved out to NorCal due to my work for about 4 months and moved my service (same exact configuration).

Now I am moving back to SoCal to the SAME EXACT apartment and called AT&T to move my service. I was told that in my location:

- NO U-Verse TV is available
- U-Verse Internet is CAPPED at 3 Mbps

I called spoke with TWO different Customer Service Rep. and was told the same thing. I went to AT&T U-verse online and the above was shown - no TV and Internet capped at 3 Mbps.

I am puzzled: what exactly changed that made AT&T to not only cap the Internet, but remove the TV service entirely? Did AT&T just "remove" the fiber optics physically?

Anyone had this kind of experience? Keep in mind that I am moving to the same exact apartment, same unit, same building, same management company.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld

fukitol

Premium Member

Run, do not walk, to the AT&T Direct forum here.
fukitol

fukitol to lanwarrior

Premium Member

to lanwarrior
Oh, and a link to that forum:

»AT&T Direct

All posts you make in there can be seen only by you, and by AT&T techs. That way, you can post your full details in there, including name and address.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to lanwarrior

Premium Member

to lanwarrior
There are two different flavors of Uverse. the type you had (VDSL/FTTH) then the one that this building has (ADSL2+ IP-DSLAM)

the later there is no TV, and max is 6Mbps your building is probably only in the 3Mbps range

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium Member
PonziWorld

fukitol

Premium Member

So, even though lanwarrior See Profile is moving back to THE EXACT SAME APARTMENT, 15Mbps + TV is no longer offered? Someone needs a remedial reading class, methinks.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to netboy34

MVM

to netboy34
said by netboy34:

There are two different flavors of Uverse. the type you had (VDSL/FTTH) then the one that this building has (ADSL2+ IP-DSLAM)

VDSL/FTTH U-verse is very rare. Unless the apartment complex the OP is in was build very recently (within the last five years, or so), it won't have FTTH. Most VDSL U-verse is like what is near to me: FTTN.
NormanS

NormanS to lanwarrior

MVM

to lanwarrior
said by lanwarrior:

I had U-Verse TV and Internet (15 Mbps) in my apartment for almost 1 year in SoCal. U-Verse was the ONLY provider in my apartment building (a 3 years old building). I moved out to NorCal due to my work for about 4 months and moved my service (same exact configuration).

Now I am moving back to SoCal to the SAME EXACT apartment and called AT&T to move my service. I was told that in my location:

- NO U-Verse TV is available
- U-Verse Internet is CAPPED at 3 Mbps

Do follow the suggestion to contact AT&T Direct. It anybody can sort this out, they can. OTOH, there may be a limited number of VDSLAM ports at the VRAD, and all are in use. So the fallback is a CO connection. Longer copper loop means slower DSL speed. Only AT&T Direct can figure that out.
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

Thanks for the advise! I am posting to "AT&T Direct" forum now and will provide updates here.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by lanwarrior:

Thanks for the advise! I am posting to "AT&T Direct" forum now and will provide updates here.

Make sure to exercise patience, now: Don't bump, or reply to your thread. Wait a couple of days, and if something doesn't move, ask here. {Just saw your Direct topic appear; can't read it, but I can see the topic listed, as well as if anybody replies. Wait for them to reply, now.}
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to lanwarrior

Premium Member

to lanwarrior
Sounds like this is an issue with provisioning for that apartment, another way you can get this issue taken care of is to go ahead and send an email to uversecare@att.com (the group I used to work for) and they will be able to look everything up and put in the right request to get the service activated for you (assuming you were actually supposed to be able to get it last time and you didn't get it when it wasn't green in that area because of a database glitch)

Hope that you can get a provider soon, keep us updated!

Matt
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

Thanks for the information. I will email them and see what is the real story here. Hopefully it is indeed just a database glitch.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to lanwarrior

Premium Member

to lanwarrior
Just curious if you have tried checking for service at other units in the building or if there's an adjacent building with a different street address?
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

I have not moved yet (but got the apartment already), so I can't check with my neighbors.

I tried to enter a different street address that is close by to my apartment in in AT&T U-Verse Availability website, but it said AT&T U-Verse is not available at all. However, my apartment is located in the border of the city, so everything else is already on a different zip code and that is probably why.

I called the apartment manager and he himself was surprised when I said U-Verse TV is no longer available. He said AT&T advertise the availability in the apartment complex and he has a stack of AT&T U-Verse brochure in front of him. He gave me a number to call (866-636-6683) that is different than shown in AT&T U-Verse website.

I called that number and the CS told me the same thing: NO TV and Internet is only at 3 Mbps. I told her I had TV and 15 Mbps just 4 months ago in the same exact location, and she said that the "... database show there is no such thing in the last 12 MONTHS" (!!!) I told her I had my AT&T U-Verse bill right in front of me, where I have been paying for U-Verse TV and 15 Mbps Internet and I DID got those service since 2010.

She then changed her tune and said "AT&T probably had wiring issue and removed the TV and downgrade the Internet service". I asked her if AT&T will really remove TV service for 200+ units in my apartment complex including people that ALREADY subscribed to the service? She said "AT&T can remove U-Verse service for the ENTIRE ZIP CODE if needed to".

That sound like a big BS to me! I posted in AT&T Direct forum and emailed uversecare@att.com today, so hopefully I can get some insight to these bizarre issue.. sigh..

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

It is possible the VRAD shelf is full...

There was a neighborhood in my area that was turned "red" for a couple months while the Crossbox was expanded to support the 2nd VRAD shelf & also the 2nd shelf actually installed in the VRAD

There is another VRAD in my area that shelf 1 is almost full, and the Crossbox has yet to be expanded to support shelf 2. Come to think of it, the neighborhood is probably back to "red" - havent done an install there in a while, and the last one I did do, there were ony like 8 VRAD ports left on shelf 1

TheTruth
@cgocable.net

TheTruth

Anon

I hate to break this to you but ATT U-Verse has never offered 15MB internet. It's always been 1.5, 3, 6, 12, 18, and now 24. So I think your a bit wrong about what you had before.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Technically what is now "Max" 12 Mbps down started out as Max 10 Mbps down
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior to TheTruth

to TheTruth
You are right, it's 18 Mbps. "15" stuck in my head because that's the average speed I always get when I had the 18 Mbps service at the old apartment.
lanwarrior

lanwarrior to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

It is possible the VRAD shelf is full...

There was a neighborhood in my area that was turned "red" for a couple months while the Crossbox was expanded to support the 2nd VRAD shelf & also the 2nd shelf actually installed in the VRAD

There is another VRAD in my area that shelf 1 is almost full, and the Crossbox has yet to be expanded to support shelf 2. Come to think of it, the neighborhood is probably back to "red" - havent done an install there in a while, and the last one I did do, there were ony like 8 VRAD ports left on shelf 1

Uh oh.. I didn't know about this fact. It is kinda puzzling though, because I am sure not everyone in my apartment complex uses U-Verse TV (some uses DirecTV, saw the satellite dishes back then) and basically now there is NO U-Verse TV at all for new tenant (or returning tenant like myself). Also, some of the apartment units are not facing South, which means no DirecTV either. So those people cannot get ANY TV at all, no DirecTV and no U-Verse.

I am going to call my apartment management team again and see what's their reaction when I told them the above.

But ILpt4U, assuming that the VRAD shelf is full, how is that affect the speed? I understand that a full shelf means that there will be no new U-Verse (TV or Internet), but since I CAN get 3 Mbps, what is stopping U-Verse to give me higher service?

For a moment, what is the best course I should take? Get the 3 Mbps, hence get the port connected, and wait until more ports open and upgrade the service?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

If you are offered 3 Mb/s U-verse Internet, you will probably be getting IP-DSLAM, which ties back to a CO, not a VRAD. At least it is my understanding that IP-DSLAM is only offered from COs.

Of course, I only have a very fuzzy picture of the way AT&T has things laid out; but it is my understanding that a VRAD need not supply all of the copper pairs out of an SAI box. In my neighborhood that would be impractical because so many of us are too far from the SAI box to qualify for VDSL service, even if there were enough ports in the VRAD.

But, yes, going with the slow service for now, and showing an interest in upgrading, might be one approach.
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

Thanks for the information, NormanS! I am still puzzled with the fact that just 4 months ago, I got U-Verse TV and 18 Mbps service, the works with no problem, and now everything come to a screeching halt, no TV and capped at 3 Mbps.

So at that time I must have VDSL, but then AT&T changed it to IP-DSLAM, which doesn't make sense.

BTW, there are TWO 3 DSL service offered by AT&T at my location (based on their website): normal DSL and U-Verse, based on their website. Normal DSL is $ 19.99 for 6 Mbps and the U-Verse is $35+ for 3 Mbps.

I am thinking iF AT&T really pulled out U-Verse in my apartment complex (no TV, capped speed at 3 Mbps), then I rather have normal DSL at higher speed but cheaper price, albeit that I have to get a phone service (about $20.00).

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

As I said: Fuzzy. But I don't think is is anything like "pulling out U-verse". More like what ILpt4U See Profile says.

Let's try it this way: Right around 4,000 feet from my premises is both a VRAD and an SAI box. A fair number of residents are beyond the 3,500 foot distance to qualify for VDSL, but within range of the SAI box. The VRAD ties into the SAI box. SAI box more likely, than not, serves, possibly, twice as many people as are within the 3,500 foot limit. So the VRAD only has enough ports for some percentage of the folk within 3,500 feet, but the rest of us are SOL.

Now, AT&T may only have provided enough ports in the VRAD to service 80% of the people within range for VDSL. Once the VRAD ports are full, no more VDSL is available, even for those in range. Also, AT&T is replacing aging ADSL equipment at the COs with newer, ADSL2+ IP-DSLAM equipment. So, eventually, everybody beyond the distance limitation of VDSL will be shifted to ADSL2+ IP-DSLAM. And the handful of folks unable to get VDSL because the VRAD is "full", also have to settle for a CO connection. 2.500 feet to the SAI box is close enough for VDSL; if there is a port available. If not, then it is an extra 6,000 feet to the CO, for a total of 8,500 feet for the unlucky soul who can't get VDSL. That 8,500 feet is a speed killer for any version of DSL.

Just because one is within range of a VRAD does not mean there will be an available port in the VRAD. And if the VRAD is full, then all remaining SAI box connections have to feed back to the CO.

That is just one possible scenario, and is the reason you should talk with AT&T Direct. There are other plausible explanations, which make something look like BS when it isn't. And you need an inside rep to sort out the reasons something seems wrong. Maybe they find a faulty database, and there was room to wire you in to the VRAD, or something else; or there just no room in the Inn.
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

Hi all,

Just an update of the situation:

1). I received no response in AT&T Directv forum, still waiting
2). I emailed uversecase@att.com and got a reply back within a day from a Tech Support, let's say his name is "Joe". Joe said that my address will need to be validated. He said I need to do this:

1. Call 1-800-ATT-2020
2. Speak to U-verse sales
3. Request an Address Validation Case
4. Report which addresses are wanting service and which ones can get it
4 (a). If a tech mentioned that you should be able to get U-verse mention this too. If not don't mention it
5. In the end you should get a FXXXXXXXXX type of case number

Before I called, I asked my friend to stop by in my apartment, knock the door on the neighbors on my floor and ask if they have U-Verse. One of them said he DOES have U-Verse TV and Internet, though he doesn't know the speed since his roommate ordered it.

Armed with this information, I called the number per "Joe" instructions and after spending 1 hour on the phone, including talking to a Supervisor, here's what I get:

1). They put me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back with "Address validated. I CANNOT get U-Verse TV and Internet is CAPPED at 3 Mbps." I told the CS and Supervisor that my neighbor have it and I can proof it by giving the unit number, which they can check that U-Verse TV and higher speed Internet DOES EXIST in my complex, but both said they cannot do anything or check those in their computer due to "...privacy issue...".

2). I mentioned the fact I had U-Verse just 4 months ago, and the response is "Things changed, I don't know what. All I know is you CANNOT get U-Verse TV and Internet is CAPPED at 3 Mbps.".

3). I asked for the Fxxxxxxxxx case number, and they said they cannot give the case number because the address was already validated (see no. 1 above).

I already spent hours talking to 4 CS and 1 supervisor, so looks like I can't get TV and higher speed Internet. I gave up... not sure what's the situation here.

For now, I can either get:
- U-Verse at 3 Mbps
- Normal DSL at 6 Mbps (I have no landline yet, but it was validated through AT&T website using the apartment address and unit number)

My friend was saying I should get U-Verse because it's fiber and the speed will be consistently at 3 Mbps, while normal DSL through phone line can varies between 3-6 Mbps. What do you guys think?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Did you get the IDs of the reps that refused to make the validation ticket? Those would help the uversecare@att.com team

AFA 6 Mbps regular ADSL vs "U-Verse" 3 Mbps IPDSLAM ADSL2+, if both are CO-based, IPDSLAM should be able to offer at worst the same speeds as regular ADSL, if not faster.

However if your address has RT/CEV-fed regular ADSL vs CO-based IPDSLAM, then regular ADSL may have faster speeds available, and in an ironic way, regular ADSL would have the fiber closer to you (to a remote DSLAM, then copper the rest of the way to the residence) in this instance than "U-Verse" ADSL2+ (copper all the way from the CO to the residence)

FYI landline service is not required for either regular ADSL or "U-Verse" IPSLAM ADSL2+. Either product can be ordered as a "dry loop," or ordered line shared with POTS

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to lanwarrior

to lanwarrior
There is probably another development within range of the VRAD that used to serve you. Some combination of the copper there being better, residents being more bankable and/or ports in the VRAD filling up makes the ADSL service be the only option for now. There are a number of very plausible reasons why the service can become unavailable at the same exact address where it used to be available, especially in densely populated areas.
The best thing to do would be to patiently repeat the same steps you have already taken, giving the techs time to work and respond, then find an alternative in the meantime.
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

I was transferred about, let's see... 3 times: sales --> tech support -->sales. I remember the LAST 2 person I spoke to, but not the 1st one. Either way, both sales didn't want to give the Fxxxxx case number because the address was "already validated". I will provide this information to the U-Verse Care.

BTW, I tried again to order normal DSL without a landline (Dry Loop) from AT&T website and this time they CANNOT FIND MY ADDRESS (!!). However, if I select U-Verse (pretending I am a "new" customer), the website CAN FIND MY ADDRESS. If normal DSL is not available, shouldn't it at least show that it is "not available"?

Anyhow, looks like I'll have to stick with 3 Mbps for now, I need Internet in the next 2 week due to my work.

As much as I am disappointed with AT&T with the whole snafu (couldn't find address - see normal DSL above, speed capped, no TV, etc.), I really appreciate everyone help in this thread. I DEFINITELY learn something new here.
lanwarrior

lanwarrior

All,

Just a quick update:

I received a response from AT&T Direct forum and told me to call again, because only Sales can generate Fxxxxx case number. I have called about 5 times now, talking with different Sales and Supervisor and they all told me the same thing.

So I went to AT&T website and entered the address myself and it show U-Verse Internet is available (!!!), but at 3 Mbps only and no TV.

I spoke with the building manager and he said U-Verse is available and gave me the AT&T Account Manager phone number. I called her and she is just like the Sales I spoke on the phone: she said there is nothing she can do if "AT&T Database" said only 3 Mbps is available. I told her the next door unit have 18 Mbps AND TV and she said different unit have different speed and different "connection" (whatever that means), even though it just next door and sharing the same telco panel.

So I gave up and just ordered DirecTV and DSL Extreme. Even though DSL Extreme is slower (1.5 Mbps), at this point I am just tired with the run-around given by AT&T U-Verse Sales people.

BTW, I tried to order AT&T DSL WITHOUT a phone but it doesn't work, Sales said I must have phone number. But DSL Extreme, who probably bought the bulk line from AT&T (No Verizon or Comcast in my area) said I CAN have DSL without a landline.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread to help, I really appreciate the effort.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium Member
PonziWorld

fukitol

Premium Member

Wow. If not even Direct could help...

"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company."

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Exactly. It is so embedded in Bell ideology that it survived the 1984 breakup of Ma Bell, and continues to infuse its remaining daughters:

• AT&T (nee SBC)
• CenturyLink (via acquisition of Qwest, which, itself, Borged USWest)
• Verizon
lanwarrior
Los Angeles, CA

lanwarrior

Hi all,

Just to give everyone a quick update:

I sent an email complaint to AT&T CEO (Google it) and also complained to the AT&T Account Manager in my area (via my apartment management property) and lo and behold, I got a call from a CSR that said that the completed line of U-Verse is NOW AVAILABLE AT MY UNIT. I can get TV, phone and 18Mbps Internet. I just have these installed last week.

Turns out that AT&T database is WRONG and no one internally was willing to fix it, even when the customer (me) told them to.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

High 5 to lanwarrior and his letter writing. I think more people should write letters.