-Simpler user interface with customizable home screen
-Easier Content discovery
-Improved YouTube experience
-And Apps, Market support.

»www.google.com/tv/

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

It is interesting that they finally choose to upgrade to 3.1 (Honeycomb) when Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is just coming out to unify the phone and tablet platforms.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to michieru

Does anybody know (first hand) if (or how well) this works with playing local files (720p/h264/ac3/mkv) via SMB (samba/windows network sharing)?

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

Doesn't like windows media sharing whatsoever. Instead I use TVersity which provides much better options and the ability to encode on the fly with the premium version. There are a few alternatives out there people use. Your mileage may vary but some users report 1080p video and quality is just fine with no hiccups or skips in wireless or lan.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Windows media sharing is not the same as SMB (samba). And I'm certainly not interested in transcoded streaming content on my LAN

michieru
Premium
Miami, FL

Well I know, but how exactly you plan on using SMB to do it? I just got this tv about a week ago so im still learning about it myself so pardon my ignorance.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Does the Google TV see shared folders on a Windows computer? If so, can you browse to the shared folders, down to a mkv file, and play it?

michieru
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

1 edit

Doesn't seem so according to what I been reading online, and cna't find anything on the app store either.

UPDATE: There is a project for VLC to come to Android, if a x86 port is made for android this will become available for google tv as well. Right now I have a external FAT32 hard drive plugged into it because there is no NTFS support.

I will say Google TV isn't ready yet, but with the addition of VLC and more applications I can see it becoming more popular for the public and having the functionality it needs.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to michieru

This review answers the question: »techcrunch.com/2011/11/03/google···-closer/

"Google TV 2.0 seems to only like mpeg2 and .avi files and it has to be from a DLNA server."