Search similar:

uniqs
christopherv
join:2011-11-02
Victoria, BC

christopherv

Problems with Port Fordwarding and Actiontech router

Hello,

I just had my new telus Internet connection installed yesterday and I can access webpages and other Internet resources fine but I have been unable to properly configure port forwarding. I am trying to run a web-server for my own personal use on port 8080 (I know telus blocks 80). I can access the webpage within my LAN but when i try to get at it from a remote computer via IP address:8080 I get a connection timed out. I have tried the following settings:

under Firewall I have : "start/end port - 8080/8080" protocol - tcp LAN IP - 192.168.1.10 start/end port remote - 8080/8080 and remote ip - 0.0.0.0

I have also tried placing my computer in the DMZ but to no avail. Any suggestions?

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

Some TELUS netblocks block port 8080.
christopherv
Victoria, BC

christopherv

what ports do they not block?
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Wasn't aware of Telus blocking 8080, then again, I haven't tested that port on Telus in a long time.
said by christopherv:

what ports do they not block?

Here's what they do block:
»Telus FAQ »Does Telus block any ports?

How accurate or up-to-date that list is, I do not know.

The blocked ports is my main reason for not completely switching internet services to Telus and thus keeping my Teksavvy connection. The only way I can make my VPN reliably accessible from virtually any public hotspot (which quite often block a large number of ports and protocols), is to use port 443, which of course Telus blocks.
christopherv
Victoria, BC

christopherv

Well this is an extremely frustrating router. It seems to really like forwarding ports to my laptop but not to any other device. For example I can forward 8080 to my laptop and I can resolve it externally, but if I forward the same port to my desktop or my server it will not resolve. Has anyone experienced this before?
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to pfak

to pfak
I don't think they block 8080. I use it for my router.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to christopherv

Premium Member

to christopherv
said by christopherv:

Well this is an extremely frustrating router. It seems to really like forwarding ports to my laptop but not to any other device. For example I can forward 8080 to my laptop and I can resolve it externally, but if I forward the same port to my desktop or my server it will not resolve. Has anyone experienced this before?

Sounds more like your firewall is blocking the port. PEBKAC
said by bimmerdriver:

I don't think they block 8080. I use it for my router.

I have been on netblocks with TELUS that have port 8080 blocked between TELUS customers.
christopherv
Victoria, BC

christopherv

Firewall is definitely disabled on both systems