1 recommendation

Cheese to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: When did Karl first explain this?

said by ISurfTooMuch:

said by Cheese:

said by ISurfTooMuch:

And, since these types of folks often have a very high opinion of themselves, they aren't going to take the advice of a bunch of posters on an Internet forum.

And they need to listen to people on here why?

Well, for one thing, if they'd bothered to listen, maybe they wouldn't have gotten themselves into such a horrible deal. It's been no secret here that Verizon was dumping these more rural areas, and it's been known for years that the copper plant in these areas has essentially been allowed to rot. And not to mention the fact that wireline phone service has been in decline for the last decade or so, and cable has been eating DSL's lunch for about the same time period. None of this is to say that you can't turn things around, but you'd better be ready to hit the ground running with some major upgrades to the network the moment you sign the deal.

If the FairPoint folks had been paying attention, they'd know this.

For one thing, a business, for the most part, is not going to listen to end users on a message board, especially regarding a acquisition/merger.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch

I'll bet Netflix had wished they'd listened. They finally did, but they've been through an extremely rocky period in the meantime.

I'm sorry, but I just have to take the opposite view on this. Paying attention to what people are saying about your company can be very valuable because you get a different perspective that you don't get when you only listen to other insiders. I'll bet Clear Channel thought it was a nifty idea to buy a ton of radio stations, gut their operations, and centralize programming decisions. I'm sure they thought they'd save tons of money and generate enormous economies of scale. Which they did. However, people were not only moaning about the loss of localism, but they were also warning that this was ultimately a recipe for disaster because listeners would leave. And they were right. Listeners have abandoned terrestrial radio in droves, and Clear Channel is a shell of what it was at the beginning of this adventure. And Citadel Broadcasting, another big chain broadcaster, is gone, having gone into bankruptcy and being gobbled up by Cumulus. Companies like Clear Channel and Citadel have wrecked terrestrial radio, all despite many warnings from stupid message boards.

Twaddle
@sbcglobal.net

Twaddle to Cheese

Anon

to Cheese
"For one thing, a business, for the most part, is not going to listen to end users on a message board, especially regarding a acquisition/merger."

That is one of the issues at hand with today's global economy . Many if not most Corporations do not care what the end user thinks or feels because they have very little on their minds except turning as much profit as they can without regard to any long term and as fast as they can. This is especially true when their customer base has no options but to use their goods or services or go without. With no legal recourse to protect the consumer from the less than honest actions of corporations, its open season on the consumer by the corporate establishment. This mindset will come back to haunt us all in months and years to come.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
What an excellent example Clear Channel though they could in effect corner the broadcast market. They automated the small market stations and homogenized most of the big market stations so you couldn't even tell what station you where listening to. If you will recall Clear Channel was in cahoots with the RIAA in their attempt to kill streaming radio with ruinous licensing fees. This ultimately failed. Now the only place that has diversity in listening choices is on line. Belatedly Clear Channel came up with iHeart radio to stream a number of it's stations but even then there are unforeseen consequences. iHeart Radio in effect turned the entire Nation into one radio market Which is now dominated by the few Clear Channel stations that are different from the rest. Presently the number one station on iHeart is KFI, Los Angles. So instead of people tuning into their local station on the iHeart app on their smartphones they are going to just a few stations such as KFI. Now Clear Channel is trying to make more money from iHeart Radio by trying to emulate Pandora.A day late and a dollar short move.