spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

smbdsl

join:2011-03-14
San Mateo, CA

Looking to switch to Sonic on Linux. Got a good config?

I'm having to change around the way my business connects to the net.

My home office is on AT&T dynamic IP DSL right now. I want to switch to Sonic DSL (not the Fusion product, it's not available at my location) using static IPs, so I can run some server stuff.

I'm also gonna switch from Windows to Linux.

This is a lot of change for me at at once. I'm a little antsy, so I thought I should ask for some help.

I guess I get a block of 8 IP addresses, 5 of which I can use.

My setup is going to be Internet->DSL Modem in BridgeMode ->LinuxRouter/Firewall @ ->NAT stuff->my desktops @ 192.168.1.10&11, my server#1 @ 192.168.1.128, my server#2 @ 192.168.1.129.

I want to set it up so that my desktops talk in/out over the "main" IP address sonic assigns me.

And Server#1 & Server#2 each talk in/out over another of the IPs.

So I guess I need to do 2 things:

(1) Make sure that I "grab & expose" each of the IPs sonic gives me, and
(2) Map them in a 1 to 1 NAT setup to my servers, and in general for the rest of my LAN.

I've got a couple of books I'm digging through and everything, but wa wondering if any of you that're already doing some like this could share your firewall/router config for Linux so that it works with Sonic DSL for sure.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by smbdsl:

I guess I get a block of 8 IP addresses, 5 of which I can use.

For a routed subnet you would be correct that you can only use 5 out of the 8 addresses in the block. However I believe with Sonic.net you will get 8 IP addresses (bridged) within a /24 block, all of which are usable.

said by smbdsl:

My setup is going to be Internet->DSL Modem in BridgeMode ->LinuxRouter/Firewall @ ->NAT stuff->my desktops @ 192.168.1.10&11, my server#1 @ 192.168.1.128, my server#2 @ 192.168.1.129.

That is one way of doing it. Another alternative would be to do a DMZ setup (requires a third interface on the linux firewall system) where the servers get public IP addresses so that they don't have to provide services over NAT.

said by smbdsl:

I want to set it up so that my desktops talk in/out over the "main" IP address sonic assigns me.

There isn't a "main" IP address, just pick any one.

said by smbdsl:

I've got a couple of books I'm digging through and everything, but wa wondering if any of you that're already doing some like this could share your firewall/router config for Linux so that it works with Sonic DSL for sure.

There isn't really anything that is specific to Sonic when it comes to configuring your network security (firewall, nat). You may want to post questions you have regarding Linux firewall configuration in the All Things Unix forum on this site. While all Linux distributions use the same kernel firewall capabilities, some do have gui tools to produce firewall configurations so that you don't have to work with individual rules and commandline utilities.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

smbdsl

join:2011-03-14
San Mateo, CA
> For a routed subnet you would be correct that you can only use 5 out of
> the 8 addresses in the block. However I believe with Sonic.net you will get > 8 IP addresses (bridged) within a /24 block, all of which are usable.

Uh oh. Everything I'd been reading was based on a "routed subnet". I thought to "get at" all the IPs I needed one, and then when I have "no routed subnet", that means I have only 1 static IP. Guess I need to understand this before I go any further.

> You may want to post questions you have regarding Linux firewall
> configuration in the All Things Unix forum on this site.

Didn't know about that forum yet. Thanks a bunch, I'll take a look into it.