uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to Russ6

Re: Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST

err um... um I don't know what to say about this. I'm still pissed about the shortened test. I spent a year getting things prepared in various parts of the country specifically because it was going to be 3 minutes long. In regards to using the remote to channel up and then down or power down the box via the power button wont work because the STB equipment is specifically meant to lock so the alert can't be interrupted accidentally. And in my experience sometimes pulling the power on the STB and plugging it back in while an alert is still active will cause the STB to relock after it fully reboots. This locking issue occurs for force tune events, ie when the box displays EAS on the front LED and is forced to tune to a reserved channel which is most commonly QVC, and either a black screen with white text or dark blue screen with white text and red border is displayed stating the emergency alert details, along with audible alert. In my experience if just the ticker is displayed the box isn't locked and you can go about as normal just with a red flashing banner on the top of the screen and audible alert.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
This test is a waste of time and is being used to justify a Homeland Security/FEMA office's existence. Not to mention that many cable systems, including mine, still use the antiquated analog 'force the channel to change to C-SPAN' crap instead of the newer digital overlay. It's no wonder why they're concerned about the STBs.

I'm glad they shortened it, because it was a joke to begin with. Any true national emergency will be all over the air long before the EAS gets activated, short of a full-blown nuclear strike. If they didn't activate it for 9/11, what is the point?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

4 edits
your entitled to your opinion though i dont agree with you.

miscDude

join:2005-03-24
Kissimmee, FL
reply to GTFan
My understanding from reading some of the stuff out there was that the test was designed to test 2 things. 1. The EAS gear with a 3 minute event... and 2. They are utilizing the old legacy OTA Relay system to transmit the alert instead of the Sat/Internet based systems some states have migrated to, so they wanted to ensure the legacy gear was still working.

said by GTFan:

This test is a waste of time and is being used to justify a Homeland Security/FEMA office's existence. Not to mention that many cable systems, including mine, still use the antiquated analog 'force the channel to change to C-SPAN' crap instead of the newer digital overlay. It's no wonder why they're concerned about the STBs.

I'm glad they shortened it, because it was a joke to begin with. Any true national emergency will be all over the air long before the EAS gets activated, short of a full-blown nuclear strike. If they didn't activate it for 9/11, what is the point?

According the info I read from the FCC, The reason they didn't issue an alert during 9/11 was that by the Time the Gov'ment learned of the details in order to issue a properly alert, All the major media was already distributing the information so pretty much everyone was already aware of the emergency. Issuing an actual EAS alert would've been redundant since pretty much anyone listening to the radio or watching TV was already getting the latest information via those channels. ("A national emergency has been declared. please tune to your local news outlet for the latest information." But... I'm already watching it... and your alert just made me miss some info!)

I don't know how accurate the above really is, but it honestly makes sense.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
said by miscDude:

According the info I read from the FCC, The reason they didn't issue an alert during 9/11 was that by the Time the Gov'ment learned of the details in order to issue a properly alert, All the major media was already distributing the information so pretty much everyone was already aware of the emergency. Issuing an actual EAS alert would've been redundant since pretty much anyone listening to the radio or watching TV was already getting the latest information via those channels. ("A national emergency has been declared. please tune to your local news outlet for the latest information." But... I'm already watching it... and your alert just made me miss some info!)

Exactly my point, and exactly why in this day and age it is a waste. They are not going to be able to react quick enough to anything to give people warning before someone finds out (or leaks it) and it's plastered all over the news. Or in the case of a nuke strike, it doesn't matter anyway because there's no time to take action. I am talking about a true nationwide activation here.

But as was pointed out, this is IMO.

jackro

@comcast.net
reply to miscDude
Sorry, this fails logic 101. When a tornado is coming, both systems fire off, even if their is a person on air showing exactly where it is and where it is going.
The difference is between a power grab and a non-power grab. Bush has set up a lot of stuff and Obama has pushed the envelope further. If they wanted to test it, then why not do the first test at 2AM and not 2PM?

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by jackro :

Sorry, this fails logic 101. When a tornado is coming, both systems fire off, even if their is a person on air showing exactly where it is and where it is going.
The difference is between a power grab and a non-power grab. Bush has set up a lot of stuff and Obama has pushed the envelope further. If they wanted to test it, then why not do the first test at 2AM and not 2PM?

The main reason why it wasn't conducted at 2am is because most radio and some tv stations are fully automated during that time with no people being around at all. A station would have to spend money to have a person for this test, and that sure as hell won't happen with the cheapskate media conglomerates.