Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

154 hours of TV a month?!

That's 21% of the time in a 30 day month, or five hours of television watching per day. And we wonder why our country has an obesity problem....

I know I'm on the low end of the scale (I might watch 10 hours of TV a month, if that) but 154 hours is really the average? That's frightening.
Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

Re: 154 hours of TV a month?!

What are you going to instead, 5 hours of athletics? Most of the population would still be watching TV since they'd be laid up with injuries.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

1 recommendation

5 hours of anything? reading a book? walking the dog? staring at the wall? learning a hobby? baking? figuring out who killed JFK? there are a great many things you can do with 5 hours a day instead of watching the garbage on TV.
ken830

join:2005-06-16
San Carlos, CA

If you have a family of four or five and three or so TVs going at the same time for 2-3 hours per day, and it's not so unreasonable. Throw in 4-5 hours per week for family movie night and you will definitely surpass the cap.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

2 recommendations

I have a family of 6 and I don't have time for any TV in my house. America needs to get away from the TV. This assumption that you need it to get by is ridiculous.
Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY

said by ArrayList:

This assumption that you need it to get by is ridiculous.

I thought the right to cheap TV was in the Constitution somewhere? Isn't it a life essential service alongside electricity and running water?
Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
said by ken830:

If you have a family of four or five and three or so TVs going at the same time for 2-3 hours per day, and it's not so unreasonable. Throw in 4-5 hours per week for family movie night and you will definitely surpass the cap.

If you have a family of four or five using the internet connection why should you pay the same price as me?
Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
How about an hour at the gym and four hours of TV? Or perhaps an hour at the gym, an hour with a book and three hours of TV? I'm hard pressed to think of enough shows worth watching to come up with five hours a day of television time.
jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
That's what I was thinking too. I'm guessing that the "154 hour average" is for a household and not a single individual.