share rss forum feed

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA

1 recommendation

So...I'm still working...

Just got a notification that I'm going to be needed for another project starting Monday that will run through 12/22. We're in the wrap up phase of the current project. UAT starts monday and release date is 11/26.

After that, the QA Director has already told me she wants me for a project starting after the 1st of the year. I told her yes I wanted it.

...and I've got an interview on the 17th for a full time perm position in Raleigh, NC just in case...

- FM
--
It works fine on my machine...

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
Are you going to NC for the interview?

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
First I've got a phone interview on the 17th.

If they like me, they'll pay to fly me out for a F2F interview.

After that, if an offer follows, they've said they'd pay up to $2500 in relocation assistance...

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
reply to FutureMon
Ahh it gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling when I see the email from management requesting my network access be extended by another 45 days...

- FM
--

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1
good luck...

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Conference bridge meeting on Wednesday at 9am to talk to the Merc-OKC department heads about a year-long QA Initiative/Maintenance contract. Gig will start on 1/2/12 if they want me. (I'll still work from Brea)

- FM
--
If it ain't broke - you're not looking hard enough...

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
...and it's official.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA
The went bankrupt?

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
LOL!

No, it's official I'm moving to QA on 1/3.

Bad news is I just got an email from my agency saying that dev is cutting me on 12/15. I thought I had at least until the 23rd or the 30th... SO I'm losing two weeks pay right when I could use it the most.

- FM
--
I bid 50 quatloos that the newcomers will fail...

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA
Damn. Sorry to hear that.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Well the agency might put me to work in their own office for odd jobs if I can't get QA to move the date up or Ana to keep me around for incidents.

They gave me a 4 month old incident yesterday that no one could fix, and I had it resolved in 5 minutes...

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

1 edit
reply to TheRul
update;

I've been harassing networking with the agency and my new qa bosses about keeping me around instead of having me leave just to come back in two weeks, and they just said that I should plan on not having a lapse in work.

...I mean, if they cut me loose on the 15th, by the 16th, my network account will be disabled, they'll collect my equipment and take it to be wiped and redistributed, I'll have to turn in my key fob for access to the building etc etc.

...all things that will burn a week to two weeks once I came back on the 3rd of January just to re-establish. Heck it took almost 2 months to get my desktop system up and running with a functioning version of Visual Basic 6 and all the supporting tools like Clearcase. It's the ONLY system they have now that can do complete Quicksilver development on the WIndows 7 platform.

(My original evil plan was to keep my desktop system under my control so I can offer to be utilized later on Quicksilver projects if they needed it...)

Plus with this whole FTB tax thing hanging over my head, it'll be nice to not have to worry about where I'm gonna come up with February rent.

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

1 recommendation

Confirmed.

New contract from 12/15/2011 - 12/30/2011
New contract from 1/1/2012 - 12/31/2012

--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
LOL!!

Now they're arguing over who gets me tomorrow.

They set my new start date to 12/15, but that was my old end date...and the Dev team apparently wants to keep me until the last second. But the new team, since I got them to move the date up, wants me on the 15th now...

What fun.

- FM
--

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
2012 is a leap year. Be careful coding in February, OK?

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Won't really be coding next year. Well I guess scripting is coding. Going to be mostly writing and executing test plans for a department who still uses an AS400 as their primary application server...

- FM
--

No_Strings
The OC
Those things have been around since Christ was a corporal and are still selling well. (They just call it the iSeries now).

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Well I'm all moved to my new cubicle downstairs (which I had to move myself because desktop support is too slow); and the first thing I hear from my new boss is that they're so busy they won't be able to give me anything to do until Monday.

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Boy oh boy!

When I told them to "load me up" I didn't think they'd take me that seriously.

I am now on the hook to test no less than 14 different applications used within the organization as they come up with changes. Not all at once, but sheesh!

- FM
--

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
reply to FutureMon
Something here made me think about you

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
So it's been a tad slow at work the last couple of weeks. The latest project I was working on, due to be released in March got postponed day before yesterday; new release date unknown (they've been trying to get it done since September of last year!)

So I get called into the bosses office this afternoon, and I'm told that my position is being moved to Oklahoma.

They're keeping me around as long as it takes to fill the position locally in the Oklahoma office. Could be a week, could be a month.

Luckily, I've already had two phone interviews and I've got a face-to-face scheduled for a company in Irvine upcoming next week for a business analyst position. I could see the writing on the wall at Mercury...

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the bulb and one to rotate the universe.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA
you called it.

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to FutureMon
Oh man... that sucks.
At least the suits should still be pressed, ready for the next interviews. Here's hoping that there's no one qualified in OK!

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Interview on Friday went well. Met with 7 different people, got quizzed on a variety of subjects, and they thought I might be bored with the position.

I responded with, I might actually find it refreshing to be able to come in and be able to focus on doing the same thing every day - becoming an expert at it and moving up from there as opposed to having to constantly put out fires and be required to learn new tech all the time by moving from contract to contract. "Jack of all trades = Master of none."

Now waiting on feedback from the agency. My background check also came in, sparkly as a fresh snowflake on a winters day.

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?

No_Strings
The OC
They obviously haven't heard of DSLR.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
LOL!! It was a "pre-employment" background check; not one of those web scrapers that anyone can pay to find out information on [insert name here].

But I know you were poking fun

Funny thing is, the job is actually working FOR the company that did the check. They ran me through their own system.

I'm happy to know there are no global arrest warrants out for me

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

1 edit
LOL!!!

Today. I get an email from the Oklahoma department. They wanted to know if I had time to work on an extra project for them, since they're losing a QA resource. (I wonder if they forgot they're suppose to be replacing me too)

Sure! Toss it over.

Then later this afternoon, I get a visit from my old boss from Development. They need my help fixing something on the Quicksilver app, which I worked on last year but transferred over to QA after the 1st, because nobody else knows how to fix the issue with the installer. Told them to get approval from my QA manager, which was given.

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Gave 30 day notice at my Apartment on Sunday.
Gave 4 weeks notice at Mercury this past Monday.
Faxed Background Check Authorization on Tuesday.
Peed in a cup this morning.

I'm moving to Monterey! Will be working with TheRul See Profile starting April 16th.

- FM
--

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
said by FutureMon:

I'm moving to Monterey! Will be working with TheRul See Profile starting April 16th.

...and Tim Tebow was traded to the Jets. Wow, what a day huh?

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to FutureMon
Regular full-time employee or contract gig? (FM, not Tebow...)
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.