Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

Boricua

Premium Member

You know...

wouldn't it be nice if many people decided to cancel their cable/FiOS/U-Verse subscription? If enough people did so, maybe then these providers will get the message that raising prices is not the way to go. Alas, for many this would be near impossible .

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Impossible indeed, unless you go back to dialup, that would really show the ISP's you mean business!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
Even at the average $100/mo for Cable TV/Internet, cable is a cheap entertainment value. A family of 4 going out 2 nights a month for a movie or sports event plus eating would more than exceed the monthly cost of the cable $. And in a down economy, this is still a good deal.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

wouldn't it be nice if many people decided to cancel their cable/FiOS/U-Verse subscription? If enough people did so, maybe then these providers will get the message that raising prices is not the way to go. Alas, for many this would be near impossible .

Many would need some sort of internet for work or family or something else. It is how I pay bills and talk to family, etc....and in many areas, people dont actually have legitimate companies competing with the main rival
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to Boricua

to Boricua
FiOS is probably the most competitively priced multichannel video/Internet/phone bundle option in the United States.

AT&Trash and Comcap exploit their monopoly status though and cost a fortune for vastly inferior service to Verizon.

I agree with the sentiment that cable/shitverse need to be canceled but FiOS is okay for now.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson
said by Bill Neilson:

Many would need some sort of internet for work or family or something else. It is how I pay bills and talk to family, etc....and in many areas, people dont actually have legitimate companies competing with the main rival

Hence why I say near impossible. I too pay my bills through the Internet and also how I get my info (news, business, etc.).

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel to Duramax08

to Duramax08
I would presume he's referring specifically to the TV aspect of their service(s) since that's what the article is focused on. Neither phone nor Internet prices have changed a whole lot since I cancelled my phone/TV services some years ago; my FiOS price hasn't changed at all in the 4+ years that I've had it.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

cable is a cheap entertainment value.

Until you look at what you ACTUALLY GET.
a THIRD of it is commericials 24/7
after 10pm its 90% paid programming[program length commercials]
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1

and 99% of the channels and content are junk...
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to dvd536

to dvd536
With the universal product placement and scripting done around products pretty much what you are paying for is to watch ads.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

How many shows (I don't mean QVC either) are effectively just ads anyways ?
Channels like HGTV are effectively paid for by Lowes/Home Depot.
Speed channel is effectively a channel for car dealers and after market parts.
I could go on.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson
said by Bill Neilson:

said by Boricua:

If you need the internet for such things as paying bills and talking to family, that is about as lame as lame can get!!

Try doing it the old fashioned way, like mailing your bill in (might save the post office and it's workers) or using the phone (landline) to talk to family. Most everyone has a cell phone now a days, so that's even another way of talking to family. Better yet, get off the computer and go outside and drive over to the family (provided they're local). Might could even REDUCE the plan you're on with the internet and lower your bill that way.

Overall,
I think it really blows that cable companies are among the leaders of the nickel and dime you to death club though.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by cork1958:

If you need the internet for such things as paying bills and talking to family, that is about as lame as lame can get!!

Let me see if I understand this....you are trying to dictate how people should communicate (and thus what is 'lame') by how you communicate with your family?

Do you understand how absolutely idiotic and pathetic that sounds?
Heated Man
join:2009-06-18
Cleveland, OH

Heated Man to cork1958

to cork1958
This is simple. If you want it you buy it? If you don't want it you don't. I don't see what the issue is here.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to cork1958

MVM

to cork1958
I can't tell. Is that a Model-T in your avatar? I'm guessing it is based on your antiquated tone of your post.
Bill or Will
Bill or Will Willy J to you LOL
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Lumberton, TX

Bill or Will to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
If a lot of people canceled there service due to higher and higher prices then they drop there price to get people back then they jack it back up after they had gotten back all there customers