dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
This is a sub-selection from What PR disaster?
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned) to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

Re: What PR disaster?

said by Crookshanks:

Frankly I'm surprised that none of the wireless carriers have tried to do free nights and weekends for data. It might even work for wireline carriers with capacity issues.

Welcome to the old long distance billing model. Most of the capacity crunch was during daytime business hours so the cost was much higher during those times and it made sense from a network and a business standpoint.

The problem now is that the delineation between "peak" and "offpeak" in the Internet world has absolutely nothing to do with network usage and everything to do with how hot ISPs can turn up the pot before the consumer frog jumps out.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

said by 56403739:

said by Crookshanks:

Frankly I'm surprised that none of the wireless carriers have tried to do free nights and weekends for data. It might even work for wireline carriers with capacity issues.

Welcome to the old long distance billing model. Most of the capacity crunch was during daytime business hours so the cost was much higher during those times and it made sense from a network and a business standpoint.

The problem now is that the delineation between "peak" and "offpeak" in the Internet world has absolutely nothing to do with network usage and everything to do with how hot ISPs can turn up the pot before the consumer frog jumps out.

That's crazy that you don't understand there is a peak and non peak times for an ISP.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned)

I'm crazy? Do you have even a slight clue what I was talking about?
This is a sub-selection from What PR disaster?