how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GoodBye

@clearwire-wmx.net

Received Disconnection Letter

It will be good-bye.

I am a heavy user but I rarely use torrents but that is what they are using to cut off my service.

Thought about signing back up using another member of the household but the purchase won't go through because there are no devices available for the 4G Desktop plan.

Anyway, it has been fun and we have decided to try an internet free home...we do have our iphones though so it won't be cold turkey...

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
I am very sorry this is happening to you. I had the same thing happen to me several years ago when I was on Verizon Wireless 3G, 2006, I think it was.

So let me get this straight: you were a Sprint unlimited 4G customer, and they're kicking you out of your contract because your use is too heavy? Are they charging you the Early Termination Fee?

How heavy is your use? How much data did you download last month? How much do you normally download per month?

Are they kicking you out of your mobile broadband account or out of your 'Droid account?

Please fill in some details so the rest of us know what can happen, and how to avoid it.

Thanks!

southdrexel

@sbcglobal.net
reply to GoodBye
Well, they shouldn't advertise it as unlimited if they cut off your service for being a heavy user. Did they send you a warning letter prior to the disconnection letter?

GoodBye

@clearwire-wmx.net
It is the 4G Home account via the 4G Desktop Modem.

I did receive a letter last month. I called and asked if they could detail the infraction and they said there had been torrent/emule activity.

I have d/l torrents but not that much and I would not leave them running non stop. After the letter the torrent use dropped to almost nil. I made sure no one in the house was using emule.

Didn't think anything about it until I received a letter this week stating I would be disconnected on the 7th. I will not have to pay an ETF (per the letter).

I called them back when the last letter arrived and they said once the letter is sent, nothing can be done. They mentioned the torrent/emule thing again and said it is in the TOS. (There is no mention of emule or torrents but there is mention of unattended downloading.) Not sure how they know I'm not watching it...

My usage is very heavy. Eveything I have is connected, DirecTV receivers, 4 iphones, 4 computers with each streaming videos, netflix, gaming, etc.

They started including data usage in my bills in September but it is obvious that did not include the whole month (August). I've puled ~250gb per month that last couple of months. That is heavier than usual but I think my normal usage is around 175gb or so.

The CSR said they did not have an issue with the amount of data I'm pulling but that I was using bittorrent or emule. I asked does that mean 0 bittorrent and she said yes.

Anyone know how long someone is banned when their account is terminated like this?

Thanks.

southdrexel

@sbcglobal.net
Wow. It seems to me that Sprint has discovered a convenient way to cut off heavy users from their network. Since they advertise their 4G plans as unlimited, it would look bad if they cut off those services on heavy usage alone. So they choose to blame p2p usage, when in fact they simply have a problem with heavy data usage, regardless of how much traffic actually comes from using bittorrent, emule, etc.

Have you considered Clearwire instead? I'm sure they use the same network as Sprint's wimax, so theoretically you should get the same speed. (they too have a pretty bad reputation, though).

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN
I don't get Sprint, they either give you 5GB/10GB limits, or they give you unlimited. They keep switching back and forth. If Sprint gave a 50GB cap, then that would be perfect.

I have a 50GB plan, I watch a lot of youtube, download updates, and other videos, play online games. I never get close to the 50gb limit.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to GoodBye
Just switch to the new unlimited $50 clear plan.

Looks like they are still "firing" customers... I had hoped they would stop doing that, guess they haven't.

»www.clear.com/plans/details/id/654

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to GoodBye
This is a funny contradiction. On the clear website they list the 4G Home - Home Internet Plan.

Unlimited Usage
No pre-set cap
1.0 Mbps

So much for "4G" speeds. My Sprint 3G is faster than that.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by WHT:

This is a funny contradiction. On the clear website they list the 4G Home - Home Internet Plan.

Unlimited Usage
No pre-set cap
1.0 Mbps

So much for "4G" speeds. My Sprint 3G is faster than that.

That's upload.

the home plan is Download: no preset limit (aka what you can get), Upload: 1.0Mbps

while strange but true the "mobile" is Download: no preset limit (aka what you can get), Upload 1.5Mbps

The download they send is rarely less than 3Mbps.

WHT

Rosston, TX
I stand correct.

WHT

Rosston, TX
said by WHT:

I stand correct.

sorry...That should have been "I stand correctED"

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
next time just EDit your post

WHT

Rosston, TX
I usually do that, but I believed the gravity of my typographic mis-stament warranted a new post.

blackcat75

join:2010-09-12
San Antonio, TX
reply to GoodBye
The same thing happened to us. We got a warning letter back in August after which we stopped using torrents (we never did that much to begin with) and now we got a letter that our desktop plan is going to be terminated. After a lengthy conversation with customer support, in which we were told it is because of the 'illegal protocols' we are using, and after pointing out that world of warcraft uses that very same protocol to update the game, we were told that playing games is 'illegal' on the sprint network, too. There was heavy discussion about the fact that we did indeed lower our monthly consumption, but the rep said they couldn't do anything once the termination letter went out (he was very understanding and sympathetic, but couldn't do anything non the less). After talking to his supervisor, we were told 'that we don't care if you switch to the competition' (yes, I'm serious, the supervisor did everything to get us PO'd, so he could hang up on us, even bordering on insulting us). Since we were using the very same 4G desktop plan that the original poster had, I've come to the following conclusions:

1) Sprint dropped the 4g desktop quite a while ago and is now trying to get rid of those customers.

2) After aggressive marketing, they need to eliminate the heavy users, as it is more profitable to add 10 'normal' users to a tower and loose 1 heavy user.

3) The tower we are on, which had for us an average speed of ~7mbit before, has been steadily declining in speed over the last 3 months, so Sprint is making up excuses to get rid of those who actually USE their unlimited plan to make room for capped plans on said tower.

Give it a year's time, and unlimited internet from Sprint will be a thing of a good past, too.

I loved Sprint up until this point and told everyone who wanted to hear it to switch to them. But beware, internet overcharging schemes still have a long life ahead.

WHT

Rosston, TX
said by blackcat75:

we were told that playing games is 'illegal' on the sprint network, too

That's going to come back and bite them. Though they would claim gaming not TOS allowed.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to GoodBye
Sprint is gonna end up having to place a larger cap on their service that won't hamper most of its users, say 100 gigs or so in order to get heavy users off the network but at the same time keep a very fair plan intact for most people out there.. 100 gigs will work with me. Even if I was on netflix and downloaded alotta things.. Unless i'm hosting which your not supposed to be your honestly gonna have to work at hitting 100gigs..

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to GoodBye
and yet people still claim Sprint is unlimited.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by 25139889:

and yet people still claim Sprint is unlimited.

The phone data plans are unlimited.

The mobile broadband hasn't been unlimited for years... and the 4g recently quit being unlimited.