uniqs
share rss forum feed

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28
kudos:1
reply to fatness

Re: [NCAA-F] Unhappy Valley

As someone who worked at a major university, I can feel pretty sure of 2 things about the policies at Penn St regarding students, faculty and staff who witness a crime such as the one alleged here: (1) you're encouraged to take no action yourself, and (2) you're required to report the alleged crime to the campus police immediately. You're not supposed to go over to the football coach's house as soon as it's convenient in order to tell him about it. Paterno didn't witness anything and heard nothing but allegations (and not all of the graphic details apparently), so the only incident he could and should report--to his higher-ups and not to the campus police--was the alleged witness reporting what he allegedly witnessed. Paterno is not culpable for following established policies of the university. It's not his job to investigate alleged crimes, whether they did or didn't happen. But hindsight is a wonderful thing, especially for those who weren't involved in any way, shape, or form.
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

said by mod_wastrel:

Paterno is not culpable for following established policies of the university. It's not his job to investigate alleged crimes, whether they did or didn't happen.

No one has suggested that he should have investigated crimes.

He (and others) should have reported possible crimes to the police, for the police to investigate. University policies have nothing to do with it.
--
their dreams a tattered sail in the wind

avguser

join:2003-02-09
reply to mod_wastrel

said by mod_wastrel:

hindsight is a wonderful thing, especially for those who weren't involved in any way, shape, or form.

Great insight and right on point!

Reading 23 pages of absolutely horrific findings all at once make it a no-brainer. I'm not sure any one of us could or would know what to do exactly at the moment this occurred. The report and the details of what occurred were so bizarre that it proves once again that truth is stranger than fiction.

Could you imagine or believe that a colleague, acquaintance or neighbor would do such a thing if you witnessed it? And exactly how much did he witness? What would your reaction be? Chances are that if the person were a friend, maybe you give the benefit of the doubt at first. Innocent until proven guilty. Also realize that the story was whispered down the lane a few time. How watered down was it...we may never know.

I'm not condoning anyone's actions in this situation. There is more than enough guilt, blame, pain and sadness to go around. But all these events did not happen as fast and as furious as the news has spread the past 72 hours. It's conceivable to see other points of view and how people did not act/react as one thinks they would. [However, I do not know how Sandusky was allowed access to the university from 2002 onward if what was stated is true]

On to JoePa, I have not heard that Joe knows of victims 2-8. If I were him, I would have wanted to be a million miles from these events back in 2002. So, it might be easy to see how he did his legal duty and moved on. I believe he had already severed ties with Sandusky in 1999. The relationship was strained. Joe could have been a hero had he gone right to police. Instead he acted just as a regular guy. That doesn't make him guilty. That doesn't make him bad. And that should not tarnish the tremendous impact he has brought to so many.

Edit: Spelling

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to mod_wastrel

said by mod_wastrel:

. . you're required to report the alleged crime to the campus police immediately. You're not supposed to go over to the football coach's house as soon as it's convenient in order to tell him about it.

Witnessed at 9:30 on a Friday night. Over to Paterno's house Saturday morning. That's not exactly 'lollygagging around'.
And according to Pennsylvania state law, you're not required to report it to campus police, you're required to report it to police. I take that to mean state and/or city police (without having actually read the statute myself), though even reporting it to campus police would have at least been more proper than not reporting it to any police at all.
Joe Paterno is not a policeman, and I'll bet the graduate assistant knew that. Whether or not either of them were aware of the statute might be a different matter.
But awareness of the statute shouldn't even come into play. Someone should have the called the cops. There's a moral obligation to do that, statute or no.

said by avguser:

Could you imagine or believe that a colleague, acquaintance or neighbor would do such a thing if you witnessed it?

Yes. Most especially if I witnessed it. (Probably you meant 'if I hadn't witnessed it personally'?)

What would your reaction be?

Immediately call the cops on them. Just for starters.

Also realize that the story was whispered down the lane a few time.

Bullshit.
The graduate assistant witnessed the incident at 9:30 on a Friday night. He told Paterno the next morning. Exactly how much "whispering down the lane" do you figure there was between Friday night and Saturday morning?

He was describing to Paterno how he witnessed Sandusky naked in the shower with what appeared to be a boy around ten years old, with Sandusky's penis up the boy's ass. How does that get described so that Paterno doesn't undertand what was witnessed?

Any "whispering down the lane" had likely been going on long before that Friday night.
I find it extremely difficult to believe that Sandusky could regularly engage in such behavior in semi-public venues such as shower rooms and school wrestling rooms without at least some rumors being circulated around.
If there were such rumors and Paterno claims he was never aware of them, then I don't believe him.

Joe could have been a hero had he gone right to police. Instead he acted just as a regular guy. That doesn't make him guilty. That doesn't make him bad. And that should not tarnish the tremendous impact he has brought to so many.

Yeah, it does make him "bad". And guilty. And goddam right it should 'tarnish his impact'.
How much "impact" do you figure he had on further victims by not reporting to the police what he was told so that an investigation could be initiated or an arrest made? The sexual abuse could have stopped right then and there. It didn't.

Nor did he act like a "regular guy". A "regular guy" would have called the cops-- just for starters.
Which makes the graduate assistant, the janitor, the A.D., and everyone else who knew about it not "regular guys", either.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium
join:2006-03-01
USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fatness

Honest to God I'm spitting mad right now. WE NEED TO BLOW THE WHOLE THING UP. Joe needs to go. I want him to step down now, and I am a big JoePa fan. The university is going to suffer irreparable damage from this. he could undo all the good he's done by F-ing this up, and believe me, if you've heard any of his pressers the last few years, he's sure to F it up.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

Many across the country are as angry as you are...to think that neither Paterno or anyone connected to the school made any attempt to even find out who the boy was that was raped by Sandusky at the school...didn't even care about the boy to even find out what his name was

And according to the indictment Sandusky raped the young boy in the shower in 2002.....and nothing was done about it..nothing was done even though they already had knowledge of an incident involving Sandusky just four years earlier with an 11 year old..

_
The indictment also cited a 1998 incident in which an 11-year-old boy's mother called university police to complain after learning that her son had showered with Sandusky. A state Department of Public Welfare investigator told the grand jury that Sandusky said he showered naked with the youth and hugged him, "admitted that it was wrong," and promised not to shower with any child again.

Kelly would not say whether Paterno or the university president knew of that investigation.

"All I can say is that investigation was handled by Penn State University's police department," Kelly said. Penn State police said they were not releasing any information about the 1998 case.

»news.yahoo.com/penn-state-sex-sc···704.html

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to fatness

Penn State cancels Paterno press conference amid reports he will step down.
»www.philly.com/philly/news/20111···led.html

Amid new questions about his future, Pennsylvania State University canceled a news conference for Joe Paterno today, citing the "ongoing legal circumstances" that have erupted since his former assistant coach was accused of molesting eight boys.

The announcement, by a university official, came about 45 minutes before the legendary coach was to face reporters for the first time since longtime defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was charged with child sex abuse and two university officials were accused of covering up the crime.

Around the same time the briefing was to begin, the New York Times reported that university officials had begun preparing for Paterno's depature as head coach. Citing two unnamed people briefed on the matter, the Times said discussions were underway on how to "manage" Paterno's exit.

»www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sport···xit.html
My guess would be they announce he is retiring after the end of the current season and bowl games. Then Penn State can go ahead and hire a new athletic director and football coach to start in January.
--
»www.politico.com/rss/2012-election.xml
»www.politico.com/rss/2012-election-blog.xml

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by Edge1:

he could undo all the good he's done by F-ing this up, and believe me, if you've heard any of his pressers the last few years, he's sure to F it up.

said by FFH:

Penn State cancels Paterno press conference amid reports he will step down.
»www.philly.com/philly/news/20111···led.html

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to fatness

There are so many people at Penn State who have done wrong here, legally and/or ethically, that it's difficult to find anyone who didn't.

The guy who witnessed the kid getting raped in the shower told his dad and Paterno, but never the cops. The guy got a promotion.

Paterno, for not following up with the cops.

The other 2 guys indicted for perjury and failure-to-report child abuse. The university president for allowing all this to go on during his watch. And most of all the Sandusky guy. He used his connections with PSU to set up an organization that was conducting overnight football camps for kids on the PSU campus up until 2008. Basically it was a farm system for kids for him to abuse, right there on PSU's campus.

There was a 1998 investigation of the guy by child welfare and by the university. There was the 2002 shower rape incident. There are 8 named victims in the grand jury indictment, and 40 counts. This has been going on on a big scale for a long time.
»www.philly.com/philly/news/13343···html?c=r

And everyone involved kept a lid on it, kept it in house, "for the good of the university". What about the damn kids who were getting abused?

Penn State may be stupid enough to think that making Paterno resign will absolve them of blame in the eyes of the public, but it won't, not by a long shot.

Information from the mothers of 2 of the abused kids: »www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.···dus.html

quote:
A few weeks before her son broke down and confessed to a principal at Central Mountain High School in Clinton County that he was being molested by Jerry Sandusky — a volunteer football coach at his high school — his mother began to suspect something was wrong.

First, it was because her son was acting out. When she grounded him, she said Sandusky demanded he be able to “take care of it.”

“I said, ‘No way, he’s my kid,’” she said.

Then, her son began asking her about an online database for “sex weirdos.”

“You don’t want to just accuse people of that,” the mother said. “I called the school principal and the guidance counselor and said, if nothing else, he’s taking my son out of classes. He’s leaving the school with him. ... So I asked them to call him into the office and ask [my son] how he felt. They did call him to the office that day and I remember [the principal] was in tears and she said, ‘You need to come here right away.’”

Her son, then 15, broke down and told them what happened.

--

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium
join:2006-03-01
USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fatness

I'm sick for those kids. Sick. If any of these incompetents at PSU (Paterno included) REALLY care about these kids and the university they will put their own heads voluntarily on the chopping block. Now is the time for real men (and women I suppose) to step up and do the honorable thing for the greater good.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to fatness

quote:
In 1998, Ray Gricar was the
Centre County District Attorney. According to the Sandusky Grand Jury report, in 1998 Gricar decided not to prosecute then-Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky after evidence that Sandusky had molested a young boy was brought to his attention.

Seven years later, then-District Attorney Ray Gricar went missing. His car was later found abandoned, and his laptop was found in the Susquehanna River, without a hard drive and damaged beyond repair. Police reported that before he went missing, he had researched “how to destroy a hard drive” on his home computer.

While still early in the Sandusky trial, and a leap to assume that the two incidents are connected, Gricar’s reasoning not to prosecute Sandusky will never be known.
»www.faniq.com/blog/DA-Ray-Gricar···og-41870
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to fatness

After reading about all this crap, I do have one thing to point out.

As someone who has been in a supervisory position, if someone came to me and said, "I just saw (insert someone who you work with) screwing a 10 year old kid in the ass." what would you do? Obviously, this person is also someone that works with you. You could report it, but if the media finds out and this accusation is wrong, it could bite you in the ass. At the same time, if you report it to the campus authorities and let them handle it, then they can handle the blowback.

I can see why Paterno did what he did. The only thing he should be punished over is not constantly urging Penn State to keep investigating.

Its good to hear that Paterno is going to be a member of the prosecution. After all the good that Paterno has done, and especially if Penn State tarnishes his reputation, what better way to slap Penn State for screwing up.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to fatness

said by fatness:

quote:
Centre County District Attorney. According to the Sandusky Grand Jury report, in 1998 Gricar decided not to prosecute then-Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky after evidence that Sandusky had molested a young boy was brought to his attention.

Seven years later, then-District Attorney Ray Gricar went missing. His car was later found abandoned, and his laptop was found in the Susquehanna River, without a hard drive and damaged beyond repair. Police reported that before he went missing, he had researched “how to destroy a hard drive” on his home computer.

While still early in the Sandusky trial, and a leap to assume that the two incidents are connected, Gricar’s reasoning not to prosecute Sandusky will never be known.

Wait a minute, if the DA was looking at the evidence, then the police were contacted? I thought that the police weren't contacted.
--

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to fatness

came across this from 2006

»sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2284993

Him saying what he did just years after being aware of the Sandusky/kid/shower incident is either revealing or just plain sad.

___

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

said by fatness:

quote:

Wait a minute, if the DA was looking at the evidence, then the police were contacted? I thought that the police weren't contacted.

The police weren't contacted by anyone from Penn State over incidents that were witnessed on the grounds of that university.
What fatness posted is in regards to a mother reporting to police what she learned of an incident involving Sandusky and her son at a high school.

Which again goes to my previous thought about how it's difficult to believe administrators and other coaches at Penn State hadn't at least heard something in the wind about what Sandusky's proclivities were rumored or accused of being.

Nor have I heard a single word that suggests Paterno ever approached his good pal Sandusky to enquire of him personally the truth or lack thereof of any accusations.
And if that's true, then it's yet another black mark against Paterno. He would have been intentionally blinding himself to the problem or to the possibility of a problem.

No adults involved are clean in this, and that includes the wonderful and respected "Joe Pa".

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by AB:

The police weren't contacted by anyone from Penn State over incidents that were witnessed on the grounds of that university.
What fatness posted is in regards to a mother reporting to police what she learned of an incident involving Sandusky and her son at a high school.

Which again goes to my previous thought about how it's difficult to believe administrators and other coaches at Penn State hadn't at least heard something in the wind about what Sandusky's proclivities were rumored or accused of being.

Nor have I heard a single word that suggests Paterno ever approached his good pal Sandusky to enquire of him personally the truth or lack thereof of any accusations.
And if that's true, then it's yet another black mark against Paterno. He would have been intentionally blinding himself to the problem or to the possibility of a problem.

No adults involved are clean in this, and that includes the wonderful and respected "Joe Pa".

After reading what I have read, the last place people should be looking to find someone to blame is "Joe Pa". I am not a Penn State alum or die hard fan, but everything that I have read has pointed to Penn State's leadership. They tried to handle it internally and broke the law. Yet, they are going to try to throw Joe Pa under the bus? Why does this sound like he is getting a raw deal?

Going to the police with unsubstantiated evidence is tantamount to disaster. Hell, there is no physical evidence, just a bunch of hearsay right now. Plus, lets say he did go to the police, only to find out it was false. The media would have gotten wind of it and raked him over the coals for it. Penn State would have hung him out to dry as well.

In my opinion, they should be going after the people who tried to cover this up. Also, why didn't the people who saw these atrocities call the authorities? That makes them as guilty as those who witness a rape and do nothing.

Joe Pa did what I would have expected him to do. Report it to Penn State and let them call the authorities and do the investigation with the authorities. The DA was looking over the case back in 1998, which leads me to believe that the authorities were contacted. A DA just doesn't look over evidence like that without being contacted by the police and the investigative unit.

This whole story is so full of holes, its hard to know what to believe. Paterno is going to join the prosecution team, which leads me to believe he wants to do the right thing. I also know that Penn State isn't happy about it, and we all know what happens when you bite the hand that feeds you.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

I'm an alum and a die hard fan and a huge fan of coach Paterno. First of all, it sickens me that the media is focusing on Paterno and not the children and the sleaze bag Sandusky. That said, JoePa is the face of the University, and we all know the media will do what's most sensationalistic. It's terrible that JoePa will likely be remembered as much for this as he was for his coaching career.

Paterno did the legally correct thing, but not the morally or ethically correct thing. I realize it's a slippery slope to report such a heinous crime via hearsay, but at the very least he could have followed up with McQueary and asked if it had been properly reported to the authorities. At that point, he could have probably prevented the coverup the assholes in the administration pulled. But, hindsight is 20/20 and when you're up on a moral/ethical pedestal for such a well known program, you're bound to be held to higher standards. I think if Paterno wasn't so known for being very strict with rules (both academic and legal) regarding his players, Paterno's involvement (or lack thereof) wouldn't be such a big thing. His legacy became his own downfall. People expect him to have gone above and beyond to do the moral and ethical thing, and he's getting dinged for it.

But again, I think the focus should be on the poor kids and their emotional recovery and on putting Sandusky away for years for his crimes, rather than on Paterno. And for that matter, if you're going to focus on Paterno, why not on McQueary who was the one who witnessed it and failed to report it to the police? That guy is the worst of them all (besides Sandusky of course) IMHO.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

They tried to handle it internally and broke the law. Yet, they are going to try to throw Joe Pa under the bus? Why does this sound like he is getting a raw deal?

I don't think anyone is trying to throw Paterno 'under the bus'. It's a simple matter of him being identified as one of those who didn't do enough to ensure that justice was done or that Sandusky's sexual abuse of children was halted. (This is assuming of course that the allegations on Sandusky are true. But with a total of 8 victims apparently concretely identified at this point, it would seem they are. 8 separate children and sets of parents all agreeing to conspire against Sandusky for no obvious reason doesn't seem very likely.)

Going to the police with unsubstantiated evidence is tantamount to disaster. Hell, there is no physical evidence, just a bunch of hearsay right now. Plus, lets say he did go to the police, only to find out it was false. The media would have gotten wind of it and raked him over the coals for it. Penn State would have hung him out to dry as well.

There's no 'disaster' in reporting to police what an underling has reported to you that he witnessed.
That's merely relating info, not making any hard accusation.
If it's false info, then it's the graduate assistant who's on the hotseat for that one-- and who should be on the hotseat now anyway for not himself doing more than simply reporting the incident to Paterno.

. . why didn't the people who saw these atrocities call the authorities? That makes them as guilty as those who witness a rape and do nothing.

Yes, I agree. Good question.

Paterno is going to join the prosecution team, which leads me to believe he wants to do the right thing.

Too bad he wasn't as anxious to do the right thing in 2002. Reporting it to your bosses seems to me to be only one part of the right thing.
I'd imagine 'joining the prosecution team' simply means he'll testify at trial as to what he was told, and when.

Keep in mind, too: There is legal culpability, and there is moral culpability. The two are not always one and the same.
When a person is found 'not guilty' of a crime at trial, that only means from the strictly legal standpoint involved within the legal process. It doesn't mean the person is 'innocent', it doesn't mean that the person did nothing wrong, nor does it mean in actuality the person never comitted the crime charged. It means only that the person cannot be proven legally guilty at trial.

Prosecutors seem to believe there's no legal crime with which Paterno should be charged. They're probably right.
That doesn't make him pure as the driven snow in this.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

I'm an alum and a die hard fan and a huge fan of coach Paterno. First of all, it sickens me that the media is focusing on Paterno and not the children and the sleaze bag Sandusky. That said, JoePa is the face of the University, and we all know the media will do what's most sensationalistic. It's terrible that JoePa will likely be remembered as much for this as he was for his coaching career.

Paterno did the legally correct thing, but not the morally or ethically correct thing. I realize it's a slippery slope to report such a heinous crime via hearsay, but at the very least he could have followed up with McQueary and asked if it had been properly reported to the authorities. At that point, he could have probably prevented the coverup the assholes in the administration pulled. But, hindsight is 20/20 and when you're up on a moral/ethical pedestal for such a well known program, you're bound to be held to higher standards. I think if Paterno wasn't so known for being very strict with rules (both academic and legal) regarding his players, Paterno's involvement (or lack thereof) wouldn't be such a big thing. His legacy became his own downfall. People expect him to have gone above and beyond to do the moral and ethical thing, and he's getting dinged for it.

But again, I think the focus should be on the poor kids and their emotional recovery and on putting Sandusky away for years for his crimes, rather than on Paterno. And for that matter, if you're going to focus on Paterno, why not on McQueary who was the one who witnessed it and failed to report it to the police? That guy is the worst of them all (besides Sandusky of course) IMHO.

I think this is a much easier answer if you put it in respect for your job.

Lets say you are the boss of a department. Someone comes to you and says they may have seen "inappropriate actions" between a man and a boy in the bathroom. You question the person and then you have a decision to make. With no evidence at all, do you go to the police? I would report it to HR and let HR take the witness aside and talk to them. I would encourage the witness to go to the police and talk it over with them. I haven't seen anything.

This is where the problem comes into play. The witness decided not to go to the police. The campus authorities did nothing. The leadership of Penn State just told Sandusky he couldn't bring boys into the locker room anymore.

If I asked HR what the result of the action was, they would tell me that the DA investigated and decided not to prosecute. Which is true back in 1998 when the DA said no.

So, if I witnessed nothing, what can I call the police about? That someone told me that he saw someone doing something "inappropriate"?
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to AB

quote:
There's no 'disaster' in reporting to police what an underling has reported to you that he witnessed.
If it's false info, then it's the graduate assistant who's on the hotseat for that one-- and who should be on the hotseat now anyway for not himself doing more than simply reporting the incident to Paterno.
The media would not be so forgiving I am afraid. Plus, I am believing that the police were notified. The DA had the case in his hands in 1998 and did not prosecute. Does that not sound fishy to you? The DA just doesn't get cases like that without a police investigation.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to fatness

My wife and I were talking about this last night. We ended up on differing opinions on what the grad student should have done. I think he should have tried to stop it then and there either by physically stopping it or yelling at him or calling the police right then. The wife kept saying that the grad student did right by talking to Joe the next day.

Seriously if you saw what was happening in the showers, what would you have done?
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to Nightfall

I see your point. It's really sad that the policies of an organization are built around proper procedure and people were hurt because Paterno and McQueary felt their jobs were in jeopardy if they went outside the chain of command to report it to the police. At the same time, why the hell didn't McQueary report it to the police? He was a witness of a serious crime. It's apparent he put his career and stature in the program before these boys' lives. The lack of action by the administration and their attempts to cover it up screwed Paterno, but so did McQuery reporting it to him and not the police.
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

. . I am believing that the police were notified. The DA had the case in his hands in 1998 and did not prosecute. Does that not sound fishy to you? The DA just doesn't get cases like that without a police investigation.

You seem to be confusing a 1998 incident which was reported to police by the mother of the victim child after the child had told her what happened with the separate and different incidents witnessed by the Penn State janitor and Penn State graduate assistant in 2000 and 2002, and which were never reported to police.

Whether the D.A. did or did not prosecute Sandusky in 1998 has no bearing on whether witnessed incidents two and four years later should have been reported to police and otherwise acted upon.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to AB

said by AB:

Yeah right, like the media wouldn't be on a witch hunt for Paterno's head for false allegations. Granted, I think it would be the moral and ethical thing to do, and in this case dealing with children's lives, it's better to err on the side of caution, but if you think all the blame would have been on McQueary and Paterno's name wouldn't have been blemished, you're nuts. The media's coverage of this so far makes that pretty apparent.
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by pflog:

said by AB:

Yeah right, like the media wouldn't be on a witch hunt for Paterno's head for false allegations. Granted, I think it would be the moral and ethical thing to do, and in this case dealing with children's lives, it's better to err on the side of caution, but if you think all the blame would have been on McQueary and Paterno's name wouldn't have been blemished, you're nuts. The media's coverage of this so far makes that pretty apparent.

Guess I'm nuts then.
Any chance you could provide some link that shows evidence of a 'media witch hunt'?
All I've seen so far are stories that call his actions and ethical decisions on the matter into question. It's my belief that his actions and decisions here have every right to be called into question.

Some columnists are calling for him to step down over his handling of the situation. You'll have to show me where that opinion is not put forth with reason and amounts only to witch hunting.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to fatness

The investigation is still ongoing. There may be more victims, and that may lead to more charges after police investigate.

quote:
Sources tell Fox 29 since a press conference on Monday, the number of potential victims has more than doubled in the case.

Sandusky was arrested in the case and made bail, while two Penn State administrators face charges related to how an alleged crime was reported in the case to police and investigators.

On Monday, state officials publicized two phone numbers for past victims to call, and within a day, it seems investigators have new leads.

Also on Monday, Pennsylvania state attorney general Linda Kelly said the Sandusky case was consideried an on-going investigation and more charges could be coming.
»www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/l···e-110811
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to fatness

quote:
Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate supervisor, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Builing showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.
From the grand jury report

downloadsandusky-gra···ment.pdf 996284 bytes

Anyone who doesn't report to the police a grown man fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy, at his workplace, deserves firing. Paterno isn't the worst actor here, but he had a duty to report this.
--

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to fatness

Sandusky is maintaining that he's innocent. Id like to see how he pulls that one off.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

My guess is that he's going to try for some payout from the university in order to keep quiet, plead guilty to a statement of facts, and keep all the details from being exposed over a period of weeks in the courtroom and in the press. That might be worth a lot of money to Penn State.

Cynical guess, I know.
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to fatness

quote:
What follows is a summary of the grand jury's report.

• Sandusky's victims all reported a wide array of sexual abuse allegations. Sandusky, who is married, met many of them through The Second Mile. Many spent the night at his home. He brought them to Philadelphia Eagles games, plus Penn State practices, tailgate parties, and home games. One of the victims traveled to the 1998 Outback Bowl and the 1999 Alamo Bowl as a member of Sandusky's family's party. That same victim often stayed with Sandusky at a State College-area hotel on the night before home games. He also frequently dined with the coaching staff and accompanied Sandusky to numerous charity outings. Sandusky had lavished this victim with a variety of gifts. According to the report, "Sandusky even guaranteed [this victim] he could be a walk-on player at Penn State. [The victim] was in a video about linebackers that featured Sandusky, and he appeared with him in a photo accompanying an article about Sandusky in Sports Illustrated." Sandusky later tried to bribe this victim with cigarettes and marijuana after this victim began refusing his advances.

• Also: "[This victim] remembers Sandusky being emotionally upset after having a meeting with Joe Paterno in which Paterno told Sandusky he would not be the next head coach at Penn State and which preceded Sandusky's retirement. Sandusky told the victim not to tell anyone about the meeting. That meeting occurred in May 1999."

• Sandusky was investigated by university police in 1998 after a mother reported to them that her 11-year-old son had showered with Sandusky. A university police detective and a municipal police detective later eavesdropped on a conversation between the mother and Sandusky in which Sandusky answered "I don't know ... maybe" when the mother asked him if he had touched her son inappropriately. He also admitted he had showered with the boy to an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. The university police detective advised Sandusky not to shower with a child again, and Sandusky promised he would not. No charges were filed.

• In March 2002, a graduate assistant stumbled upon Sandusky and a boy showering together at Penn State's football facility. The grand jury report included the horrifying details of what that graduate assistant saw and heard:

As the graduate assistant entered the locker room doors, he was surprised to find the lights and the showers on. He then heard rhythmic, slapping sounds. He believed the sounds to be those of sexual activity. As the graduate assistant put his sneakers in his locker, he looked in the shower. He saw a naked boy ... whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant was shocked but noticed that both [the victim] and Sandusky saw him. The graduate assistant left immediately, distraught.

• The graduate assistant informed Joe Paterno the next day, and Paterno told Curley the day after that. About a week and a half after that, the graduate assistant met with Curley and Gary Schultz, Penn State's Vice President for Finance and Business and the other school administrator to be charged with perjury and failure to report an allegation. The graduate assistant described what he saw as being of a "sexual nature." Paterno said the graduate assistant had told him Sandusky's actions were "disturbing" and "inappropriate." Curley acknowledged to the grand jury that he was told Sandusky's actions were "inappropriate" and that they had made the graduate assistant "uncomfortable"; however, Curley denied under oath that he was told Sandusky had done anything sexual. Schultz conceded under oath that the graduate assistant had told him of inappropriate sexual conduct. But he also testified that the allegations were "not that serious" and that he and Curley were unaware any crime had taken place.

• It is worth noting here what Paterno did upon hearing a first-hand story from a "very upset" graduate assistant, in the words of the report, about "Jerry Sandusky ... fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy": Paterno took no action except to tell his athletic director.

• Curley and Schultz did tell Penn State president Graham Spanier what they had heard, but Spanier told the grand jury that Curley and Schultz had described Sandusky's actions to him as mere "horsing around in the shower." Spanier also denied any knowledge of the 1998 investigation of Sandusky by university police. Spanier issued a statement Saturday saying Curley and Schultz had his "unconditional support."

• Schultz's duties included oversight of the university police. He testified that he was aware of the 1998 incident and acknowledged similarities between it and the 2002 allegations. But according to the grand jury report, Schultz "never sought or reviewed a police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the shower in 2002. No one from the university did so. Schultz did not ask the graduate assistant for specifics. No one ever did. Schultz expressed surprise upon learning that the 1998 investigation by University Police produced a lengthy police report. Schultz said there was never any discussion between himself and Curley about turning the 2002 incident over to any police agency." The graduate assistant was also never questioned by police.

• Sandusky was told he could no longer bring children into Penn State's football facility in light of the 2002 incident, and the executive director of The Second Mile was made aware of that fact, in addition to the incident. Schultz testified that Spanier had approved this decision. Schultz also said he believed he and Curley had informed a "child protection agency" about the 2002 incident. Curley also admitted "the ban on bringing children to the campus was unenforceable," in the words of the report.

• Records show that the 2002 incident was never reported to the Department of Public Welfare, Children and Youth Services, or the university police, in violation of state law.

• The Patriot-News of Harrisburg reported Saturday that a source close to the investigation said Paterno would not be charged and that he would testify against Sandusky at trial.

• One of Sandusky's victims told the grand jury Sandusky had brought him to Penn State's preseason practices in 2007—a full five years after Paterno was made aware of sexual activity involving Sandusky and another boy.
»deadspin.com/5856777/a-guide-to-···gnorance
--