2 edits

FFH5 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Paterno statue now taken down:
»www.philly.com/philly/ne ··· ium.html
Paterno family responds to statue removal:
»www.philly.com/philly/ne ··· val.html

The NCAA will announce its sanctions against Penn State on Monday. It is expected to be loss of possible Bowl games and loss of some scholarships.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

The NCAA will announce its sanctions against Penn State on Monday. It is expected to be loss of possible Bowl games and loss of some scholarships.

Not appearing in Bowl games and losing a few scholarships would seem like an awfully light penalty against a school and football program where the powers that be provided an environment that allowed for serial child abuse to fester and continue unreported and unpunished for many years.

Somehow, I don't picture Sandusky's victims sleeping better and feeling that justice has been done knowing that the Penn State football team won't appear in a bowl game or get as many scholarship athletes as some other school would for a couple of years.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

Pictures from this morning.

fatness

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Paterno family responds to statue removal:
»www.philly.com/philly/ne ··· val.html

The Paterno family is under the mistaken impression that the primary goal of Penn State's investigation should be to exonerate Joe Paterno from any blame or criticism.

Trying to avoid blame and criticism is what led to this horrible mess being covered up for so many years by Penn State higher-ups.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

1 recommendation

rockotman to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

Pictures from this morning.

Is JoPa sending a message from beyond?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

LOL. That is his index finger and not his middle finger. I had to look twice. But I could count 3 fingers to the right of the one pointing up.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to rockotman

to rockotman
LOL.

I think the bag over the head is kind of fitting for a guy who turned a blind eye to kids (allegedly, and as it turns out really) being molested.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Look again, Buckwheat - at the photo I posted.

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
kickin ass

e_dub

Premium Member

Penn St hit with penalties:

-$60 million fine
-4yr bowl and/or post season ban
-Loss of 10 football scholarships for 4 years
-Vacate all wins from 1998-2011
-Placed on probation for 5 years.

All current and incoming football players can transfer without penalties.

:edit: This indeed changes JoPa's status as having the most wins in NCAA football history.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Wow.
Talk about the book. Well let's home people will put kids first from now on.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

quote:
NCAA president Mark Emmert announced during a news conference at the organization’s headquarters that Penn State will be banned from bowl games for four years, will lose 10 football scholarships per year for four years and must pay $60 million in fines, which will go toward a fund for victims of child abuse. Penn State will be placed on probation for five years.

In addition, all of Penn State's victories from 1998 through 2001 will be vacated. Coach Joe Paterno's record will reflect the vacated victories, meaning he no longer technically will be the NCAA's all-time winningest coach.

Penn State was not given the NCAA “death penalty,” a punishment that would have shut down the football program for a period of time and was championed by some.
»www.chicagotribune.com/s ··· 16.story

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to e_dub

MVM

to e_dub
said by e_dub:

Penn St hit with penalties:

-$60 million fine
-4yr bowl and/or post season ban
-Loss of 10 football scholarships for 4 years
-Vacate all wins from 1998-2011
-Placed on probation for 5 years.

All current and incoming football players can transfer without penalties.

:edit: This indeed changes JoPa's status as having the most wins in NCAA football history.

At least they are allowing all the current players to transfer without penalty. To penalize the student athletes who had no idea this was going on would have been a travesty.

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
kickin ass

e_dub

Premium Member

JoPa losses 111 wins which puts him in 5th place in FBS, 8th place in D1.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by e_dub:

He won 111 games from 1998 to 2001?

EDIT: Doh! Fatness quoted the article incorrectly. Its 2011. My bad.

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
kickin ass

e_dub

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

said by e_dub:

He won 111 games from 1998 to 2001?

to 2011

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

1 recommendation

Edge1 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
I could give a damn about the wins. Beyond the obvious victims I feel for all the student athletes across the board whose programs are cross-subsidized by the football program. And the taxpayers. Somehow Sandusky's sick perversion is gonna end up costing us as well. Man what a disaster all around.

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue to fatness

to fatness
This penalty seems about right to me. If nothing else it will promote awareness in the public mind.

The ruling did what I had hoped for 1) that a penalty should severely affect PSU at least for the same amount of time that Sandusky was allowed to roam around that place, and 2) consideration should be given to child abuse victims.

Too, don't forget that the Big Ten Conference will announce their penalties later today.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
said by rockotman:

A RACIST jibe??
FFH5

1 edit

FFH5 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
quote:
"Our goal is not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture in which football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people.

“The gut-check message is do we have the right balance in our culture?" Emmert said. "Or are we in a position where hero worship and winning at all costs has subordinated our core values?”
Well, if the purpose was to destroy Penn State's football program for the next 5 yrs at a minimum - they succeeded. If, as they claim, it is to make sure major college football programs don't control their universities, they need to apply similar drastic penalties to other schools too. Otherwise the NCAA is just doing damage control and has no intention of changing the culture where major sports pgms control the universities.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by rockotman:

A RACIST jibe??

I used 'Buckwheat' to somebody once and was accused of a racist comment. That never entered my head. I used 'Buckwheat' in the same context I'd use 'Jim', 'Bub', or 'Buddy'. Just a silly name.
Sure knocked back my use of that name, though. I don't know if it should have, but it did nonetheless.

In no way did I take rockotman's comment to have a racial inference. FWTW.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

Edge1

Premium Member

said by AB57:

said by FFH5:

said by rockotman:

A RACIST jibe??

In no way did I take rockotman's comment to have a racial inference. FWTW.

Yeah, I can say with confidence there was no racial intent there. Rockot's been around here a long time, and as annoying as PIT fans can be, he's no racist. :P

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
kickin ass

e_dub to Del_Gue

Premium Member

to Del_Gue
said by Del_Gue:

Too, don't forget that the Big Ten Conference will announce their penalties later today.

I see TV ban

Del_Gue
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue

B1G basically made PSU ineligible for conference championship for 4 years. Took away and their share of conference revenue during the same period (est. @ 13 million) for post season play and will use the funds to establish child protection programs.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Del_Gue:

B1G basically made PSU ineligible for conference championship for 4 years. Took away and their share of conference revenue during the same period (est. @ 13 million) for post season play and will use the funds to establish child protection programs.

All total, thats over $110 million dollars in revenue lost. I am good with that.

What I am not ok with is punishing the student athletes. They should be able to make the postseason at least. Hell, I would have given them the ability to make the bowl games, but all the proceeds that Penn State earns goes to charity.

At least they allowed the current student athletes to transfer away without penalties.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
Amazing ,somebody actually grew some cajones and got it right for a change.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
A couple of thoughts:

One: Vacating wins presents something of a denial of fact.

Two: If the NCAA were serious about institutional control, they would have affected all PSU sports. A lack of institutional control is across the board, and this punishment unfairly punishes current student athletes regardless of transfer allowances.

These are my thoughts because the social aspects of issue are rather independent of a particular sport. The actual lack of control is at the AD level and it seems clear that the 'legendary' coach was granted too much leeway in terms of the entire scope of athletics at PSU. Since the lack of control was at the AD level, that covers every sport at PSU. As to the wins/losses, that is like taking home runs away from Barry Bonds.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Edge1

Premium Member

to Edge1
Paterno family claims rush to judgement for PR reasons.
»www.philly.com/philly/ne ··· ons.html

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall

MVM

said by FFH5:

Paterno family claims rush to judgement for PR reasons.

I can tell you that they have a point. The Freeh report was scathing, even in my mind. At the same time, no due process was done. I don't think the full truth will ever be known at this point.

Del_Gue
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue

QFT
said by fatness:

Penn State hired Louis Freeh to tell them what happened, and what they had done wrong, and to make recommendations for how to fix it. He did that. He was not attempting to prove anyone guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Penn State got their money's worth.

------------------------

"The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best".

We all know that Joe did some fine things in this world and that people who knew him said he was a good husband, father and friend.

"Punishing past, present and future students of the University because of Sandusky's crimes does not serve justice"

Sorry but life is not fair, and every time the NCAA punishes a member institution, the innocent suffer as well.