spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

esther

join:2009-06-26

SIP-to-Skype, Skype-to-SIP - new method

It seems the veteran French SIP-based service »www.ippi.fr has recently been renovated, and new cool features were added - among them SIP and Skype interconnection.

I vaguely remember this service years ago as a thin SIP provider whose main attractiveness was being the only source of free French DID numbers on the web, but now it looks much better.

Ippi offers free and paid accounts. Main features of service are:
* Free calls to other ippi numbers
* SIP compatibility
* Free calls to and from Skype contacts
* No connection fees
* Free incoming French DID number (only for French residents according to French law. Phone verification required)
* Flexibility to use from various platforms like iPhone, Android, Symbian and PC
* Sending SMS
* conference room
* Click to call
* Caller ID
* Web call Back
* MSN, Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, and Gtalk (only from IPPI PC client)
* Complete online account management

An English version of the site is available.

I was attracted by the SIP/Skypeinter connection promises, so I registered to test the feature.

Calling from Skype to my SIP client (where IPPI is registered) worked smoothly, and I was even able to turn it into Callthru line, combined with a third service.

Unfortunately calls from SIP to Skype didn't work for me, and after several seconds of silence always failed with 408 SIP timeout response. After further unlucky tests using various means I contacted support, who couldn't find any problem either. They insisted it works properly on their machines.
This is how you should be able use it with Skype:
- To call from ippi to Skype, dial « skype_id@skype.ippi.com » and start the call

- To call from Skype to ippi, dial « skype2ippi » (add this contact for ease), then, when you get a chat message, send as a chat message the ippi login you wish to call (or ippi number)
Please let me know if you had better success than me calling SIP to Skype. Hopefully together we find the problem.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
Thanks for letting us know. I sure will give this a try.

Currently, I am still using RebTel free SIP2Skype/Skype2SIP. It works just fine. The call quality is good.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

esther

said by mazilo:

Currently, I am still using RebTel free SIP2Skype/Skype2SIP. It works just fine. The call quality is good.

Thanks,
AFAIK Rebtel requires you to log into the site and assign a real phone number separately for each Skype contact - and calling that number is normally not free (depends on location & plans).
IPPI lets do this out of the box.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by esther:

AFAIK Rebtel requires you to log into the site and assign a real phone number separately for each Skype contact - and calling that number is normally not free (depends on location & plans).

If you assign an iNum phone number for your Skype contact you can him/her free of charge. It works like a charm.
--
Main provider: Anveo - Secondary providers: VoIP.ms, Callcentric, Localphone and Rebtel
Hosted PBX: PBXes.org - Phone: Gigaset S685IP

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by Arne Bolen:

If you assign an iNum phone number for your Skype contact you can him/her free of charge.

From which service, i.e. ippi, rebtel, skype, etc., does one assign an iNum # to a Skype contact to place him/her free calls?
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

1 edit

Click for full size
said by mazilo:

From which service, i.e. ippi, rebtel, skype, etc., does one assign an iNum # to a Skype contact to place him/her free calls?

I use Rebtel. Works like a charm and the audio quality is very good.
--
Main provider: Anveo - Secondary providers: VoIP.ms, Callcentric, Localphone and Rebtel

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by Arne Bolen:

said by mazilo:

I use Rebtel. Works like a charm and the audio quality is very good.

Me2. All I need is to call the assigned iNum # to reach a Skype user. However, the problem is when Skype callers can't call me because they don't see my rebtel_skype_buddy_XX (where XX is [0-9]) is online. That's what a Skype user told me when I called her. She said that she had been wanting to call me but my rebtel_skype_buddy_XX is never online.
--

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by mazilo:

Me2. All I need is to call the assigned iNum # to reach a Skype user. However, the problem is when Skype callers can't call me because they don't see my rebtel_skype_buddy_XX (where XX is [0-9]) is online. That's what a Skype user told me when I called her. She said that she had been wanting to call me but my rebtel_skype_buddy_XX is never online.

You could add your own Skype Name as a Rebtel contact. I did that long time ago and the Skype Name rebtel_skype_buddy_01 is always online. Se image above.

As you can see rebtel_skype_buddy_01 has over six thousands contacts.
--

esther

reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

If you assign an iNum phone number for your Skype contact you can him/her free of charge. It works like a charm.

Thank you Arne Bolen for clarifying.
Despite the feeling of increased flexibility in Skype policies over last couple of years (and ownership changes), the availability of free SIP/Skype solutions is not yet wide enough IMO, so I'm happy to hear that.

Please let me know if anyone managed to call Skype contacts from SIP using the IPPI trick.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by mazilo:

You could add your own Skype Name as a Rebtel contact.

Where do I add this, i.e. on my RebTel or Skype account? For the later, it has to be the caller's Skype account, right?
--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to esther
said by esther:

Please let me know if anyone managed to call Skype contacts from SIP using the IPPI trick.

I was about to go ahead to register for an account until my friend who registered for an account informed that IPPI complains with an error message saying something like ... fails to verify landline phone ... when she added an IPKall DID#. Have you any idea?
--

esther

1 edit
said by mazilo:

I was about to go ahead to register for an account until my friend who registered for an account informed that IPPI complains with an error message saying something like ... fails to verify landline phone ... when she added an IPKall DID#. Have you any idea?

Everyone is welcome to use IPPI - but only French residents are entitled to have a local DID number (this is due to French national regulation, not an IPPI limitation).
The phone validation process is required for proving the user is a French resident - and therefor must only be a French phone number, so a US number (or any other) won't work there.

Everyone everywhere can register an account and enjoy all other features, including SIP/Skype (I registered through the English site at »www.ippi.fr/index.php?page=home&···&lang=44 ).
If you need their free DID number and have relatives or friends in France, you can ask them to complete the verification for you

se224141

join:2008-11-18
It looks like skype2sip and sip2skype is possible only after you have signed up for a paid service with them.

esther

said by se224141:

It looks like skype2sip and sip2skype is possible only after you have signed up for a paid service with them.

No, it works in free accounts as well (also confirmed with their support team).
In my free account Skype to SIP is working well, the only technical problem is SIP to Skype.
Make sure you followed the instructions.

se224141

Where is the instruction?

esther

said by se224141:

Where is the instruction?

At the bottom of the main post (quoted from the site):

This is how you should be able use it with Skype:

- To call from ippi to Skype, dial « skype_id@skype.ippi.com » and start the call

- To call from Skype to ippi, dial « skype2ippi » (add this contact for ease), then, when you get a chat message, send as a chat message the ippi login you wish to call (or ippi number)

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to mazilo

Click for full size
said by mazilo:

Where do I add this, i.e. on my RebTel or Skype account? For the later, it has to be the caller's Skype account, right?

Please see the images above.
--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to esther
said by esther:

said by mazilo:

Everyone is welcome to use IPPI - but only French residents are entitled to have a local DID number (this is due to French national regulation, not an IPPI limitation).

The phone validation process is required for proving the user is a French resident - and therefor must only be a French phone number, so a US number (or any other) won't work there.

Everyone everywhere can register an account and enjoy all other features, including SIP/Skype (I registered through the English site at »www.ippi.fr/index.php?page=home&···&lang=44 ).
If you need their free DID number and have relatives or friends in France, you can ask them to complete the verification for you

OK. You convinced me and I will go ahead to sign up for an account. Thanks.
--

se224141

reply to esther
said by esther:

Unable to make this work.

fareedf

join:2008-01-25
Portland, OR
reply to esther
I signed for free account late last night, and this morning I made calls Skype --> Sip and Sip --> Skype, it worked fine without any delay of ringing, in both directions. In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.

esther

2 edits
said by fareedf:

I signed for free account late last night, and this morning I made calls Skype --> Sip and Sip --> Skype, it worked fine without any delay of ringing, in both directions. In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.

Good to hear that SIP to Skype part is working for you. For me calls to Skype still fails with 408 timeout code, although everything is OK with my network, and all other SIP calls works well.
That's a mystery and I'd like to hear more users' experiences and opinions.

As about registration, It's possible I ignored the last setup page (I vaguely remember something but not sure) but my account is fully active anyway.
I don't really remember whether or not I provided them any phone number of mine at registration. If I did, it probably was one of my DIDs auto-completed by browser, or just a bogus one (as I always do while testing a service) - but I've not been asked to do any phone number validation (using the English sites. They may treat French or EU people differently)

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to fareedf
said by fareedf:

In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.

After reading your post, I signed up for an account and the process didn't want to take my IPKall # for verification.
--

esther

said by mazilo:

After reading your post, I signed up for an account and the process didn't want to take my IPKall # for verification.

I think you can ignore that phase. See my last reply.
As he said he could also use the account without completing that phase

fareedf

join:2008-01-25
Portland, OR
reply to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by fareedf:

In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.

I used one of my Sipgate DIDs.

esther,

In order to make call form Sip to Skype I added my Skype contacts to speed dial of IPPI control panel since my Gigaset S675IP doesn't support dialing Skype users if your phone having issue dialing Skype users.

esther

1 edit
said by fareedf:

In order to make call form Sip to Skype I added my Skype contacts to speed dial of IPPI control panel since my Gigaset S675IP doesn't support dialing Skype users if your phone having issue dialing Skype users.

Thank you fareedf, very helpfull! I just tested and it's working as a speed-dial.
However I have more than 200 Skype contacts and I wish I could call the original format of user@skype.ippi.com right from my SIP client.

It seems now my client reject this since it looks exactly like an independent SIP address, but there must be a way to solve this.

Update: I've just solved this problem out using Sipsorcery dial plan manipulations. Thanks again to fareedf for the tip. 'Ticket closed'.

vientito1

join:2009-01-09
How many digits is an Ippi account number?

Does it provide SIP-OVER-TCP connection at all? What ports are allowed beside 5060?

se224141

user@skype.ippi.com

If I dial SIP URI in the above form from another voip account such as callcentric, it doesn't go through. It only works with IPPI. Is it supposed to work like that only?

esther

said by se224141:

user@skype.ippi.com

If I dial SIP URI in the above form from another voip account such as callcentric, it doesn't go through. It only works with IPPI. Is it supposed to work like that only?

Yes it will only work under IPPI as a SIP provider on your system. That's not an independent SIP address.

esther

reply to esther
By the way, they also offer speed-dial, and free landline access numbers in many countries:

Argentina : +541159841140 (Buenos Aires)
Australia : +61280144837 (Sidney)
Autria : +43720881135 (Wien)
Belgium : +3228081684 (Brussels)
Bulgaria : +35924916105 (Sofia)
Brazil : +552135219706 (Rio de Janeiro)
Canada : +15142256917 (Montreal)
Chile : +5625814948 (Santiago)
Croatia : +38517776361 (Zagreb)
Cyprus : +35722030589 (Nicosia)
Czech Republic : +420228880404 (Prague)
Denmark : +4569960222
Estonia : +3726680338
Finland : +358931581713 (Helsinki)
Germany : +4930873333895 (Berlin)
Greece : +302111980082 (Athena)
Hong Kong : +85258080596
Hungary : +3618088449 (Budapest)
Ireland : +35319014600 (Dublin)
Israël : +97239770100 (Tel Aviv)
Italia : +390662207113 (Roma)
Japan : +81345209303 (Tokyo)
Latvia : +37167859603 (Riga)
Lithuania : +37052059094 (Vilnius)
Luxembourg : +35220880399 (National)
Mexico : +525511689654 (Mexico City)
Netherland : +31108920368 (Rotterdam)
New Zealand : +6499250342 (Auckland)
Norway : +4721075078 (Oslo)
Peru : +5117085720 (Lima)
Poland : +48223008609 (Warsaw)
Slovakia : +421233418461 (Bratislava)
Slovenia : +38616009380 (Ljubljana)
Spain : +34911880059 (Madrid)
Sweden : +46852507065 (Stockholm)
Swiss : +41225331067 (Geneva)
UK : +442030025918 (London)
USA : +13104995049 (Los Angeles)
USA : +13052606032 (Miami)
USA : +19176772104 (New York)

Some bloggers also offer coupon codes for some free test credit. Not sure if it's allowed to post here. Search Google

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
Interestingly, it doesn't seem to provide a gateway number in France.