how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

prtssguy

join:2009-10-10
Long Beach, CA

[Upgrades] Modem + Router

How are the modems with built in routers working on cable internet, especially the DOCSIS 3 ones?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

Never have been a fan of them and always suggest using separate modem and router.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Agree with KoRnGtL15 100%

tscotty
Premium
join:2005-07-04
Saint Charles, MO

I agree as well. It is much easier to troubleshoot having the modem and router separate and you have more control if you want to change the firmware on your router (ie. DD-WRT to add features).

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to prtssguy

They work well for a basic simple installation but if you want to add things like a VPN in a box they are simply a pain in the arse. A seprate modem and router are much easier to configure and use than a combo unit such as the SMC "Business" modems that Comcast uses. (I do not know what Charter issues for Business class accounts.) There is nothing "business" about them. I maintain 2 networks with them and I am very limited as to what I can do with it, or I should say easly do with them. I can do more with my old Linksys modem at home vs these "combo" things. VPN & RDP are 2 examples. Much easier with dedicated "bridge" modem without the router built in. Maybe its just me...

prtssguy

join:2009-10-10
Long Beach, CA

oh alright thanks for the help guys. i was moreso looking into a DOCSIS 3 modem since my cable company was leasing me their DOCSIS 2 modem for $5/month but they dropped the leasing fee and gave it to me. i guess there isn't any reason to get a new cable modem now, unless DOCSIS 3 is that much better than DOCSIS 2.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

If you upgrade to speeds above 38Mbps, a Docsis 3 modem would be a must. Technically, 38Mbps is the fastest a Docsis 2 modem can handle. Even at lower speeds though, channel bonding with a Docsis 3 modem will get you better stability as far as constant speeds anytime and all the time and less dropped connections.

Personally,
I just went through the same kind of process. Although my D2 SB5100 could handle the 18/2 plan I was on, my D3 Zoom 5341 does give me a constant and consistent connection all day and all night even though I have down graded to the 12/1 plan.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/