join:2009-06-26

esther4 to se224141

to se224141

Re: SIP-to-Skype, Skype-to-SIP - new method

said by se224141:

Where is the instruction?

At the bottom of the main post (quoted from the site):

This is how you should be able use it with Skype:

- To call from ippi to Skype, dial « skype_id@skype.ippi.com » and start the call

- To call from Skype to ippi, dial « skype2ippi » (add this contact for ease), then, when you get a chat message, send as a chat message the ippi login you wish to call (or ippi number)

se224141
join:2008-11-18

se224141

said by esther4:

- To call from Skype to ippi, dial « skype2ippi » (add this contact for ease), then, when you get a chat message, send as a chat message the ippi login you wish to call (or ippi number)

Unable to make this work.
fareedf
join:2008-01-25
Portland, OR

fareedf to esther4

to esther4
I signed for free account late last night, and this morning I made calls Skype --> Sip and Sip --> Skype, it worked fine without any delay of ringing, in both directions. In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.
esther4

2 edits

esther4

said by fareedf:

I signed for free account late last night, and this morning I made calls Skype --> Sip and Sip --> Skype, it worked fine without any delay of ringing, in both directions. In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.

Good to hear that SIP to Skype part is working for you. For me calls to Skype still fails with 408 timeout code, although everything is OK with my network, and all other SIP calls works well.
That's a mystery and I'd like to hear more users' experiences and opinions.

As about registration, It's possible I ignored the last setup page (I vaguely remember something but not sure) but my account is fully active anyway.
I don't really remember whether or not I provided them any phone number of mine at registration. If I did, it probably was one of my DIDs auto-completed by browser, or just a bogus one (as I always do while testing a service) - but I've not been asked to do any phone number validation (using the English sites. They may treat French or EU people differently)
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to fareedf

Premium Member

to fareedf
said by fareedf:

In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.

After reading your post, I signed up for an account and the process didn't want to take my IPKall # for verification.
esther4

esther4

said by mazilo:

After reading your post, I signed up for an account and the process didn't want to take my IPKall # for verification.

I think you can ignore that phase. See my last reply.
As he said he could also use the account without completing that phase
fareedf
join:2008-01-25
Portland, OR

fareedf to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by fareedf:

In order to setup an account it requires land line and mobile and it wouldn't allow me to finish account setup until I provided a phone number for mobile both are US DIDs.

I used one of my Sipgate DIDs.

esther,

In order to make call form Sip to Skype I added my Skype contacts to speed dial of IPPI control panel since my Gigaset S675IP doesn't support dialing Skype users if your phone having issue dialing Skype users.
esther4

1 edit

esther4

said by fareedf:

In order to make call form Sip to Skype I added my Skype contacts to speed dial of IPPI control panel since my Gigaset S675IP doesn't support dialing Skype users if your phone having issue dialing Skype users.

Thank you fareedf, very helpfull! I just tested and it's working as a speed-dial.
However I have more than 200 Skype contacts and I wish I could call the original format of user@skype.ippi.com right from my SIP client.

It seems now my client reject this since it looks exactly like an independent SIP address, but there must be a way to solve this.

Update: I've just solved this problem out using Sipsorcery dial plan manipulations. Thanks again to fareedf for the tip. 'Ticket closed'.
vientito1
join:2009-01-09

vientito1

How many digits is an Ippi account number?

Does it provide SIP-OVER-TCP connection at all? What ports are allowed beside 5060?
se224141

se224141

user@skype.ippi.com

If I dial SIP URI in the above form from another voip account such as callcentric, it doesn't go through. It only works with IPPI. Is it supposed to work like that only?
esther4

esther4

said by se224141:

user@skype.ippi.com

If I dial SIP URI in the above form from another voip account such as callcentric, it doesn't go through. It only works with IPPI. Is it supposed to work like that only?

Yes it will only work under IPPI as a SIP provider on your system. That's not an independent SIP address.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to esther4

Premium Member

to esther4
said by esther4:

said by mazilo:

I think you can ignore that phase. See my last reply.

As he said he could also use the account without completing that phase

I tried to click settings and it brings me back to account verification. May be I did something wrong, but I don't see a way to use this service until the account gets verified.
se224141

se224141 to esther4

to esther4
said by esther4:

Update: I've just solved this problem out using Sipsorcery dial plan manipulations. Thanks again to fareedf for the tip. 'Ticket closed'.

How did you manage this through siporcery? Can you please present an example here?
vientito1
join:2009-01-09

vientito1

for the service with tropo, is there a difference between using "transfer" and "redirect"
?
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh

said by vientito1:

for the service with tropo, is there a difference between using "transfer" and "redirect"
?

Great question. The redirect function would work fine for this example. The main difference is that redirect function only works before the call is answered. The transfer function can be used during active calls.

Redirect can also only be pointed to a sip address.. not to gtalk, twitter, and a whole host of other gateways that Tropo supports.
A_VoIPer7
join:2009-11-04

A_VoIPer7

said by gweidenh:

Great question. The redirect function would work fine for this example. The main difference is that redirect function only works before the call is answered. The transfer function can be used during active calls.

Redirect can also only be pointed to a sip address.. not to gtalk, twitter, and a whole host of other gateways that Tropo supports.

FWIW, I've had mixed results using redirect. Transfer seemed to work more reliably, but results in FAS and the caller may be billed during the transfer (at least that's what I think).
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh

"billed" is relative... if the call is a skype call that gets transferred to a sip address, that is free.

if its a pstn call that gets transferred, then yes, the caller would have to pay for the pstn call.
A_VoIPer7
join:2009-11-04

A_VoIPer7

Yeah, that's why I changed "will" to "may" before I posted. I almost never use Skype, but when I was looking around for connectivity options, I found that ComfyTel allows you to get a free iNum that can be redirected to a Skype ID.
esther4

1 edit

esther4 to se224141

to se224141
said by se224141:

How did you manage this through siporcery? Can you please present an example here?

I couldn't do this right from Sipsorcery (user@skype.ippi.com seems like standalone SIP address for the system), so I had to employ some external server-side scripting.

1. A dial-rule (prefix) was created for Skype.
2. In such calls, Sipsorcery fetches an hosted PHP file, and submits the Skype username as a GET parameter.
3. PHP logs (using lib cURL) into my IPPI member area and creates a speed-dial for that Skype contact (speed dial is always assigned same fix number)
4. Sipsorcery dials that speed dial (e.g. 99@ippi)
This process runtime is only about 1.7 seconds.

I'm planning to update that PHP script, and make it translate numeric data into alphabetic, for the ability to dial arbitrary Skype names using a phone - that's why I bothered into this from the first.

I know that probably doesn't answer your expectations (I've seen your question on Sipsorcery forum as well) and I also wish Aaron finds a way around that
esther4

esther4 to se224141

to se224141
As expected, Aaron found the way to get it work right from Sipsorcery using the following SIP settings for IPPI:

-----------------
Name: ippi
Username: ippi_username
Password: ippi_password
Server: skype.ippi.com
From Header (in the advanced section):
Custom SIP header (in the advanced section): Route:

To call a skype line use sys.Dial("skye_username@ippi")
----------------------
This probably works the same manner for Gtalk
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by esther4:

As expected, Aaron found the way to get it work right from Sipsorcery using the following SIP settings for IPPI:

-----------------
Name: ippi
Username: ippi_username
Password: ippi_password
Server: skype.ippi.com
From Header (in the advanced section):
Custom SIP header (in the advanced section): Route:

To call a skype line use sys.Dial("skye_username@ippi")
----------------------
This probably works the same manner for Gtalk

Cool. Will the configuration be able to receive incoming calls from Skype?
mel2000
join:2008-03-05
Chicago, IL

mel2000 to esther4

to esther4
said by esther4:

I couldn't do this right from Sipsorcery (user@skype.ippi.com seems like standalone SIP address for the system), so I had to employ some external server-side scripting.

Sipsorcery dialplans can be coded to dial standalone sip addresses as long as you can enter such addresses directly into your phone's dialpad.