All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bvgas
join:2011-11-06
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

Settiing up the Actiontec ECB2200 (Coax MOCA Adapter)

I have Verizon FIOS in my house. The signal from the "Main Box" in the basement originates as a Coax and then via an 8 way splitter is distributed via Coax throughout my house. My Actiontec M1424 Router is on the 3rd floor connected to one of these lines. The wireless signal from this router only carries to part of the 2nd floor. Beyond that the signal is very weak or non existent. Running Ethernet would be very difficult in my house. I had Verizon come back to see what they could do but it didn't help. The tech did suggest that these Actiontec ECB200 adapters would help give me Internet in areas where I already have Coax. Everything I've read about them makes them seem Plug & Play but this has not been my case. Am I missing something - Can a coaxial signal from the main panel that never passes near or through the router distribute an Internet connection? How is this so? Does anything need to be configured in the device? ISP addresses? How can the router "see" this device in the first place. HELP!! What am I doing wrong??

I was also provided with two additional Actiontec M1424 Routers but when I try to use a second router I find it interferes with the internet signal from my first router.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Follow the instructions found here »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax? as was suggested to you several threads back. These instructions apply whether you're using a spare Actiontech or the ECB2200, just be sure to pay attention to the details for whichever device you decide to use.
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

I appreciate the link. I connected it as indicated in the diagram but my computer still can't get an Internet connection. It is an older MAC - Since it is connected to the Actiontec ECB2200 via Ethernet I'm assuming it is not a wireless network. Also when you connect to the ECB2200 from the coax is there an actual network name??

Regarding using a second router in place of the ECB2200. When I typically access my current router using 192.168.1.1 it gives me its SSID name, etc. If I want to hook up my extra router do I first unplug and shut off my first router? When I've tried this and go to 192.168.1.1 when the second router comes up it has the SSID of my first router??

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5

The link posted above explains that using another MI424WR router as a coax to ethernet bridge is not plug and play. The exact directions are there on how to configure the second router to work only as a bridge. You don't want to turn off or adjust any settings in your first main router. Be sure to read the entire page of that link, it also has step by step directions on how to configure the ECB2200.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to bvgas

MVM

to bvgas
said by bvgas:

The tech did suggest that these Actiontec ECB200 adapters would help give me Internet in areas where I already have Coax. Everything I've read about them makes them seem Plug & Play

Yes, the ECB2200s are indeed plug and play.
You need to make sure the coax you connect to the ECB2200 is connected to your main (8-way) splitter.
said by bvgas:

Can a coaxial signal from the main panel that never passes near or through the router distribute an Internet connection?

You have two different MOCA signals on your coax. The MOCA WAN signal is between the ONT and the router. The MOCA WAN signal is from the router to the STBs and any MOCA adapters such as the ECB2200. As long as both the Actiontec and the ECB2200 are both connected to the main splitter, you have a MOCA LAN signal path.
said by bvgas:

Does anything need to be configured in the device? ISP addresses? How can the router "see" this device in the first place.

Nothing need to be configured in either the MI424-WR or the ECB2200. The ECB2200 is a bridge, not a router. It simply passes ethernet frames from the coax side to the cat5 side and visa versa. The router does not need to "see" it.
said by bvgas:

when I try to use a second router I find it interferes with the internet signal from my first router.

You must disable the coax WAN portion of the second router per the instructions in the FAQ. Otherwise both routers will fight for control of your WAN connection.
said by bvgas:

Since it is connected to the Actiontec ECB2200 via Ethernet I'm assuming it is not a wireless network.

The ECB2200 is not a wireless device. It is a coax to cat5 bridge.
said by bvgas:

Also when you connect to the ECB2200 from the coax is there an actual network name??

Network names apply only to wireless networks.
said by bvgas:

If I want to hook up my extra router do I first unplug and shut off my first router?

No, you need the first router to provide your WAN connection.
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

I really appreciate your line by line instructions and I have followed them.

The ECB2200 is connected to a coax from the main splitter and still nothing... Just to make sure It should be connected to the Coaxial Network port not the STB port - Correct? If the Coaxial light on the device does not light up what does that mean?

Regarding the second router - The instructions say to connect it via a LAN Port to a computer before connecting a coax to it - which I did. When I go to 192.168.1.1 Either it brings me into the Login and setup for my Primary router since this computer can still access the internet via the wireless signal. If I disconnect this computer (A Mac) from the "internet by shutting off it s airport so it s only connected via an etherent cable to the secondary router (No internet access) it gets me to the Verizon Login screen but I can't login (Using admin & password1 or password). What am I doing wrong?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by bvgas:

Just to make sure It should be connected to the Coaxial Network port not the STB port -

Correct.
said by bvgas:

If the Coaxial light on the device does not light up what does that mean?

It means the ECB2200 is not receiving a MOCA signal.
Either you have a bad coax connection, or the ECB2200 is bad. As a test, try connecting it directly to your main splitter and see if the coax light comes on. If it still does not come on, chances are the ECB2200 is bad.
said by bvgas:

If I disconnect this computer (A Mac) from the "internet by shutting off it s airport so it s only connected via an etherent cable to the secondary router (No internet access) it gets me to the Verizon Login screen but I can't login (Using admin & password1 or password). What am I doing wrong?

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »I can't login to the VZ router
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

Ok. I tried a different Actiontec M1424 router that the tech left me. When I connect this one to my computer I am able to login (after picking a new id & password) I follow the instructions and get to the point where I enter a different IP address - 192.168.1.2 - When I click apply it tells me I have input errors - The devices IP address should be in the range of the IP pool?

What does this mean?
bvgas

bvgas

As an addendum to my prior reply - When I log into the primary router it lists the IP address under the broadband connection area as 72.68.138.216 - IS this my IP address or is it the 192.168.1.1??
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

That's your IP the 72.XX.XXX.XXX The router (default gateway) is 192.168.1.1
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Ok. I tried a different Actiontec M1424 router that the tech left me. When I connect this one to my computer I am able to login (after picking a new id & password) I follow the instructions and get to the point where I enter a different IP address - 192.168.1.2 - When I click apply it tells me I have input errors - The devices IP address should be in the range of the IP pool?

What does this mean?
bvgas

bvgas

As a followup - When I went back to where I had left one of the ECB2200s connected I now noticed the coaxial light green. When I tested that computer - Finally!! It worked. Internet connection. Is it possible the device needed awhile to set itself? I had left it there for at least an hour before going back. In the past when I tried the devices I did not let them sit there that long before I assumed they weren't working. Has anyone else noticed this with these devices??

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to bvgas

MVM

to bvgas
said by bvgas:

I follow the instructions and get to the point where I enter a different IP address - 192.168.1.2 - When I click apply it tells me I have input errors - The devices IP address should be in the range of the IP pool?

What does this mean?

It means that the LAN subnet is not 192.168.1.x.

My Network; Network Connections; Network (H/O); Settings; Start IP address and End IP address are not 192.168.1.x.
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

How do I find out what the LAN subnet is? As I mentioned earlier the "IP address" listed on my primary router on the main page when I log in under Broadband connection is 72.68.138.216. Is that what would be considered the IP address as an earlier reply mentioned??

As a followup - One of my Actiontec ECB2200 appears to be now working - I just left it connected for awhile and when I went back to that room the green coaxial light was on and my computer gets a great Internet connection from it. I guess it just needed time. Thanks very much for your help with that issue.

Now if I can just get these routers configured...

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by bvgas:

How do I find out what the LAN subnet is?

What are in the Starting and Ending IP address fields I mentioned above?

If you've done a hard reset (as implied by entering the initial password), then the Starting and Ending addresses should be 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254 respectively.
said by bvgas:

As I mentioned earlier the "IP address" listed on my primary router on the main page when I log in under Broadband connection is 72.68.138.216.

That is your WAN IP address. That is separate from your LAN IP addresses (192.168.1.x).
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

The staring & ending IP addresses are as you state.

I'm not near my routers currently but I believe they were the same on the primary router.

SO what would be considered an acceptable IP address for my secondary router??

I assume I enter it in the IP address field not near the bottom where it asks about adding new IP addresses.

Thanks for clarifying the other - WAN IP address

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by bvgas:

SO what would be considered an acceptable IP address for my secondary router??

192.168.1.2 is an acceptable IP address if it has not already been assigned on your network. If 192.168.2 is in use, simply pick another 192.168.1.x address that is not in use (check your My Network page).
said by bvgas:

I assume I enter it in the IP address field not near the bottom where it asks about adding new IP addresses.

No. You enter it near the top where it says "IP Address". It should already have the 192.168.1.1 default address.
Add New IP Address is for something else.
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

Ok. I think I've narrowed down some of the issues. The ECB2200s work if the coaxial's signal is strong enough (The green light goes on). I guess certain of my coaxial lines must not deliver a strong enough signal.

I "reprogrammed" one of my extra routers as a secondary. I used an IP address of 192.168.1.01. Everytime I tried ending the IP address as a .3 or.4 or .15, etc it kept telling me I wasn't in the IP pool. Don't know if the .01 is ok but it seemed to work. I disabled the wireless feature on this router so it does not interfere with my other wireless router - hence it functions only giving hardwired Ethernet connections which is ok.

The only thing I have noticed is the Verizon Wireless network originating from my Primary router now does not work well. I don't use it currently because my main computer is hardwired to the primary router and I have an Apple Extreme hardwired to my primary as well which gives me an Apple wireless network that functions reasonably. I never reset my primary router in any way when I reconfigured the secondary. Did I do something incorrect that is affecting my Verizon wireless network via my primary router?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by bvgas:

The ECB2200s work if the coaxial's signal is strong enough (The green light goes on). I guess certain of my coaxial lines must not deliver a strong enough signal.

Checking your MOCA stats may give you an indication of a problem:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I check MOCA stats?
said by bvgas:

I "reprogrammed" one of my extra routers as a secondary. I used an IP address of 192.168.1.01.

You can't have two devices on your LAN with the same IP address (192.168.1.1). That is just going to cause problems.
bvgas
Great Neck, NY

bvgas

Ok, so what would be an acceptable IP address if my primary router is 192.168.1.1? Your saying the "01" ending is not acceptable - and I am noticing some issues - intermittent - non-consistent internet connections. Slow initial connect times.

When I tried endings like .2 or .3, etc I keep getting that "Not in the range of the IP Pool"

Primary Router:

IP address is 192.168.1.1

Start IP is 192.168.1.2
End IP is 192.168.1.254

Give me an example of what an acceptable IP address for my secondary router??

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

edit:
Try changing the Starting IP Address to 192.168.1.10, then set IP Address to 192.168.1.x, where x is from 2 to 9 and not in use.

You may be getting that error because you're trying to assign a static IP address within the DHCP range.
Expand your moderator at work