Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

Bluetooth Speakerphone question(s)

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes...

I bought a Motorola bluetooth speakerphone for use with my Android smartphone in the car... I paired them together without a problem and the speakerphone works nicely in the car... When I enter the car the speakerphone announces it has connected to my smartphone and tells me its battery charge level...

But here's my confusion...

Today when I entered my car I did NOT have my smartphone on me... Yet the bluetooth speakerphone still announced it had connected with my smartphone as I entered the car... Then about 30 seconds later I hear a beep as if it did not find the phone... How is the bluetooth speakerphone detecting my entry into the car when I don't have my smartphone on me???
--
Go Mark Martin!

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
Whoops, looks like I should post this in the cell phone forum...
--
Go Mark Martin!

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
kudos:2
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to Gemstone
That's eerie and creepy

Is there any reason it would power on when you enter the car? Is it close enough to be able to connect to your phone in the house/building even when the speakerphone is sitting in the car?

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
said by Oinktastic:

That's eerie and creepy

Is there any reason it would power on when you enter the car? Is it close enough to be able to connect to your phone in the house/building even when the speakerphone is sitting in the car?

Yeah I thought the same... The car is in my driveway... Speakerphone in the house bedroom, maybe 30 feet away... What's the range of bluetooth?... I thought bluetooth was very short range wireless... Does the bluetooth speakerphone sense, or hear the car door being opened and shut and that triggers the connect message?
--
Go Mark Martin!

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com
Most of those bluetooth devices advertise a range of around 30 feet. I haven't experimented with the real-world range myself, but it should be somewhere around there. It's certainly not impossible for them to sync at that range.

I'm assuming that you drove off a little ways and that's when it let you know that it lost the connection?

Now we just have to determine why it powered on when you got in your car

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
Correct... For the record, this device is a Motorola Roadster Bluetooth Car Kit... The cryptic instructions say the following:

The car kit automatically turns off when your phone is moved away from the car for more than 1 minute. When you return (open the car door), the car kit turns back on and reconnects to your phone.
--
Go Mark Martin!

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com
Just did a quick google search on it. I can't find the exact mechanism, but like you said, somehow it detects when you open your car door and it automatically attempts to pair with your device again.

Wherever your phone was, it must have been close enough to pair with the speakerphone, even at that distance.

Neat!

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
Hmmmmm... Maybe it is programmed to "hear" the car door open and close to trigger a connect request to the phone??...
--
Go Mark Martin!

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com
Someone suggested that in a review I just read. I guess it's possible. I don't know what the power requirements for listening for that would be. The device claims 3 weeks standby time, so whatever the method is for door-opening detection, it can't be too power-intensive.