uniqs

Jimbo406
Premium Member
join:2001-01-07
New York, NY

Jimbo406

Premium Member

[DVR] Need to Buy Verizon FIOS DVR.

I have an old VHS/DVD recorder attached to my HD setop box. Where online can I find a list of compatible DVRs or can I buy one directly from Verizon? I wrote to them 3 weeks ago but never received a response.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

You can rent a DVR from Verizon or you could buy a Tivo or a Moxi and rent the cablecards from Verizon.
waiting4fios
join:2005-04-08
Howell, NJ

waiting4fios to Jimbo406

to Jimbo406
Verizon does not sell any of their DVRs, you can only rent them.

1. Tivo or any DVR capable of accepting a cable card is compatible with the service
2. Any DVR will work even without cable card, except you will have to rent a box to connect to the DVR. (For most people this doesn't make sense unless you want Verizon's Video On Demand, otherwise you are better off buying a DVR with cable card technology or just renting Verizon's DVR)

Jimbo406
Premium Member
join:2001-01-07
New York, NY

Jimbo406

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. Well, let's skip that option and try for a DVD player-is this possible? I don't want to spend anymore money than I am already giving to Verizon every month.

My current VHS/DVD combo box is on it's way out, I have all my VHS tapes converted.

Can I buy my own DVD player? It doesn't even need to be a recorder.

Thanks for all your help!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Jimbo406:

Can I buy my own DVD player?

Of course. You'll need to connect it's output directly to your TV (assuming your TV has multiple inputs). The VZ STBs do not support external inputs.

montrealboy
@verizon.net

montrealboy to Jimbo406

Anon

to Jimbo406
said by Jimbo406:

I have an old VHS/DVD recorder attached to my HD setop box. Where online can I find a list of compatible DVRs or can I buy one directly from Verizon? I wrote to them 3 weeks ago but never received a response.

just so u are aware that verizon pays motorola about $500 for the latest and greatest dvr. they wont sell it to u but even if they did it will be that price or higher. if u rent and it breaks, u get replacement for free. why would u want to buy? in USA u cannot buy your own cable box and have it activated. in canada u can.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by montrealboy :

in USA u cannot buy your own cable box and have it activated. in canada u can.

You may not be able to buy the "cable box" but you can buy a TiVO or MOXIE which will provide the DVR function (with the rental of a cable card for $3.99 / month) less VOD, widgets, etc. Guide info is typically better from TiVO and they now have a 4 tuner unit (instead of having to rent 2 DVRs).