Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to skuv

to skuv

Re: Cost to replace electrical outlets

said by skuv :

said by Pauly:

gfci wont be good, he probaly also has aluminum wires if its no ground, and a gfci wont work with aluminum wires, it will trip

Aluminum wire is fine with GFCI.

Read the CEC, its not fine, and We've attempted to install them, they do not work. once we replaced them and put them in a home with copper wiring they started to work just fine. which means? the WIRES are theculprit. it even says so in the CEC

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Read the CEC, its not fine, and We've attempted to install them, they do not work. once we replaced them and put them in a home with copper wiring they started to work just fine. which means? the WIRES are theculprit. it even says so in the CEC

This is totally incorrect. The laws of physics do not magically change in Canada. GFCI receptacles work just fine with aluminum wire. You just can't terminate the aluminum wire directly to the receptacle. They must be pigtailed with CopAlum or AlumiConn. No device manufacturer makes a GFCI receptacle suitable for use with aluminum terminations. If the situation allows, it's usually simpler to use a GFCI breaker.

I highly recommend that anyone in a house with aluminum wiring consider replacing their breakers with AFCI.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

instead of beating around the bush, you coulda said just what you said now before. Guess what your doing? your connecting COPPER wires to a GFCI. Of Course thats going to work, obviously your making a pigtail connection, listen im not dumb, I know just as much as you do, but its how you WORD the equation. I said connecting aluminum directly to a GFCI is not allowed and will not work, it will trip and never reset. I stand corrected. If I had a pigtail with copper, then that is the same thing as connecting a physical coper wire to a gfci which IS ALLOWED. thanks mr smart alex.