spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ConcernedPa

@indiana.edu

[Fiber Pics] FiOS & ??

A local company is rolling out FTTH in our area and usually they push the conduit and fiber underground, but I think they are also running it on the electrical poles in dense areas. My question is, what is the other smaller black box on the line below the (what I assume is) fiber splice box in the pictures? I've seen these all around and am wondering if it's Comcast or some other company.

»imgur.com/a/qLMPu

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN

those are telco inline splices on the copper pair

ConcernedPa

@indiana.edu

Thanks Killa! Why do some areas have these and others, such as my road, not? Also, just below that telco inline splice, there was the usual gray box with orange reflective tape that you see for telephone lines, so is this just duplicating the telco lines.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ConcernedPa

The inlines usually serve two purposes. They can splice in drop cables to customers like the pole hung and ground bound "grey" splice boxes.

The other reason is so they can repair damage inline in the sheath or the pairs, while making those repairs in something that will fend off water (that is of course so long as they stay together and don't get bagged, lol).