how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

As predicted

While Karl does his best to rain on the parade, VZW's latest move affirms what I've been saying for years - we need not fear UBB; carriers will adjust bucket sizes to accommodate the masses and growth in average consumption.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

Re: As predicted

If they are going to implement UBB, then they should implement UBB and not insanely profitable bullshit "buckets/tiers".
If I use 1MB, I should be charged for 1MB.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Revenue streams need to be predictable.

They'd have to charge a lot more, per-MB, to do it your way.
You wouldn't like that.

People like buckets - and 98% or so never exceed them, if we are to believe industry's reporting.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

Amazon sells their services as a true UBB and they are doing perfectly fine. Local and Long distance carriers we're selling their services on per minute basis and they were doing just fine too. These buckets are nothing more than money grab.
--
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by MxxCon:

Amazon sells their services as a true UBB and they are doing perfectly fine. Local and Long distance carriers we're selling their services on per minute basis and they were doing just fine too. These buckets are nothing more than money grab.

Amazon is selling wireless broadband as UBB?
News to me. Must be very popular.

Indeed, all services can be sold as "true" UBB, as you put it, but you'd have to pay a MUCH higher rate per-MB, and Mom would not approve. Junior would end up with "no" data plan.

Like it or not, "Mom" makes the majority of purchasing decisions, and pricing will reflect her tastes.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

I guess you are unaware of the world's largest cloud computing provider.
take a look at »aws.amazon.com

Why would i have to pay "a MUCH higher rate"? Why can't it be exactly the same rate people pay now except instead of fucking "buckets", pay for what you use.

Like it or not, "Mom" does not make a decision for all carriers to collude to get rid of unlimited plans or make "buckets" very user-friendly sizes.
--
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by MxxCon:

I guess you are unaware of the world's largest cloud computing provider.
take a look at »aws.amazon.com

Why would i have to pay "a MUCH higher rate"? Why can't it be exactly the same rate people pay now except instead of fucking "buckets", pay for what you use.

Like it or not, "Mom" does not make a decision for all carriers to collude to get rid of unlimited plans or make "buckets" very user-friendly sizes.

The reason the rate per-MB would have to be substantially higher, is that right now you're paying for, on average, 20-25% of the bucket quota. If telco is to receive the same revenue, ergo, rates would have to be at a minimum, 4x higher, and given the conservation that "true UBB" pricing would cause, probably closer to 10-15x more, per-byte.

Majority of households in this country are headed by women.
They DO make the purchase decisions. Carriers can only sell (rent) what Mom approves; overpriced goods, or those perceived as too costly ("true UBB"), will not sell.

This entire thread discusses VZW increasing the bucket size 100%, after already reducing the cost by more than 50% over the year past couple years. If that isn't user-friendly, what is?

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

10-15x more per byte?! are you insane?!
user-friendly?! how about verizon will eat a big fat dick!
these bastards have been scamming customers with all those fake bullshit "fees" pretending to sound like taxes and all those USF they have been pocketing all these years!

I have no doubt verizon didn't do this out of their generosity and at their expense. They are still making huge profit on data charges. Which means that if you look back at the amount of money they were making before this doubling of cap and "reducing costs by more than 50%", they were making AT LEAST 400% of pure profit!!!

Screw any and all company that makes customers to pay $2000+ over the length of contract for such a service while still making 400+% profit!

This industry badly needs a disruptor!
--