join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson

Re: 4GB

My point was that upping that cap isn't really that useful since a heavy smartphone user uses around 1GB-1.5GB. People who are blatantly wasting bandwidth should stop, because they are negatively impacting the network for others. I wish that Verizon, AT&T, and all the rest would throttle at 2GB for EVERYONE and call it a day. That being said, it is funny that Verizon offers bigger packages, anyone who is moronic enough to buy one deserves to get ripped off!

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

People who are blatantly wasting bandwidth should stop, because they are negatively impacting the network for others.

1) Explain to me...what does "blatantly wasting bandwidth" mean? What is and isn't wasting bandwidth....I am sure some apps and sites are "wasting" while others are not? Lets delve into your opinion a little deeper.

2) You have any proof of those using multiple GB negatively hurting the network?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Because you're running apps that aren't made to be run on licensed, cellular bandwidth (Netflix, streaming sports, Slingplayer, etc), and using data in ways that is not as efficient as possible (i.e. high bitrate audio), or in ways that could be replaced by local storage (Google Music, Spotify streaming, large file downloads, etc). Pandora is one of the few streaming apps that is bandwidth responsible, as it uses 32kbps AAC+ when streaming over a cell network, and will work just fine on EDGE or 1xRTT. It also saves battery to be able to use a utilize the cellular radio less when streaming.

If it wasn't the networks would be consistently running close to their theoretical maximum, yet we see places where cell networks completely come to a halt because of high traffic- so yes, congestion is an issue. Maybe LTE isn't right now, but it will get saturated eventually...
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

My point was that upping that cap isn't really that useful since a heavy smartphone user uses around 1GB-1.5GB. People who are blatantly wasting bandwidth should stop, because they are negatively impacting the network for others. I wish that Verizon, AT&T, and all the rest would throttle at 2GB for EVERYONE and call it a day. That being said, it is funny that Verizon offers bigger packages, anyone who is moronic enough to buy one deserves to get ripped off!

If the wireless providers need to throttle they will and actually do. If Verizion feels that their 4G network can handle customers using up to 20gb per month, then who are you in saying that people should be throttled?

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

MovieLover76 to BiggA

to BiggA
I use 2 -3gb a month even on light months when I don't travel.
and all that is is email, web, facebook and streaming rhapsody which I pay for $10 a month through Verizon.

I understand that many people get by on less than a gig and generally they don't stream any audio or video.
But how is using a service that Verizon promotes wasting bandwidth?
They also released an LG phone with netflix installed, you can't promote an app more that that.
Obviously they intend for it to be used on there wireless network.
MovieLover76

MovieLover76 to BiggA

to BiggA
and Pandora sounds like crap out of the box compared to other streaming apps.
Its bearable when you enable high quality audio.
3G was meant for data, not specific apps, it's application agnostic.
Unless we're installing apps from third party sources, it's meant for cellular networks, even apples highly controlled market allows for the apps your describing.
« Verizon Fraud
This is a sub-selection from 4GB