spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ablatt
join:2001-08-03
Toronto, ON

ablatt

Cellpipe vs. Sagemcom

Bell installed the Cellpipe for me yesterday on a new Fibe 25 install. No TV.

I was under the impression they were only using the Sagemcom for Fibe 25 installs but when I asked, he said they were told to use the Cellpipe recently.

Don't know if he was just saying that because it was true or because that's all he had in the truck.

I realize the Sagemcom has gigabit Ethernet and some USB ports.

I'm not using the wireless or any fancy routing, and so my question is, am I OK with the Cellpipe or should I try switch to the Sagemcom?
Harleyguy3
join:2008-02-01
Waterdown, ON

Harleyguy3

Last I heard (Sept 2011) was that the Cell pipe was used for TV and the Sagemcom for uploads greater than 1M. If you want the Sagemcom call 310-SURF . Get the tkt created and if agent gives you a hard time ask to tranferred to Hamiton.

Farmer Chuck
@teksavvy.com

Farmer Chuck to ablatt

Anon

to ablatt
You definitely want to opt for the Sagemcom.
ablatt
Toronto, ON

ablatt

My sister just signed up for Fibe 25 and got the Cellpipe too.
ablatt

ablatt to Farmer Chuck

to Farmer Chuck
Farmer Chuck, why specifically do you recommend the Sagemcom?

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin to ablatt

Premium Member

to ablatt
If Fibe25 only without tv is a Cellpipe, if you take the FibeTV, they install a Sagemcom.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

1 edit

kovy7

said by Martin:

If Fibe25 only without tv is a Cellpipe, if you take the FibeTV, they install a Sagemcom.

That's weird... because it was the other way around not long ago... also that modem trial was done on Internet only and not sure if it was done on IPTV.
For the OP, I'd try to get a Sagemcom to unless your going to use your own router.

Farmer Chuck
@teksavvy.com

Farmer Chuck to ablatt

Anon

to ablatt
The Sagemcom is a Gigabit ethernet device with 802.11N for the wireless so it is a better unit all around.
ablatt
Toronto, ON

ablatt

The 7130 lists b/g/n as wireless networks it supports in its wireless setup.

Farmer Chuck
@teksavvy.com

Farmer Chuck

Anon

The wireless range on the cellpipe (cellpig) is substandard.
ablatt
Toronto, ON

ablatt

Are they equivalent as modems only? Does the Sagemcom perform better as a VDSL modem?

What's the best way to get the Cellpipe swapped for the Sagemcom? Just ask for it or do I have to tell them something like the wireless N range is bad?
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser

I would post in the direct forum. You are more likely get an answer you will like that way.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to ablatt

to ablatt
said by ablatt:

The 7130 lists b/g/n as wireless networks it supports in its wireless setup.

But it seems broken in N mode.

West 905tek
@bell.ca

West 905tek

Anon

In my area, our shop doesn't even stock the cellpipe anymore. Every VDSL install gets a sagemcom. I've compared the line stats between cellpipes and sagemcoms on the same line and they are very nearly identical. One of the reasons we opt to only install sagemcoms, from what I can tell at least in our area, is because there is a mix of xslams in our fttn cabinets: Lucent SLAMs and Alcatel 7330 SLAMs. The cellpipe only works on the lucent crap, while the Sagemcom work on both.

I cant speak to iptv personally but I was under the impression, that in our area, the 7330 slams will be used for IPTV therefore that would necessitate the use of Sagemcoms for FibeTV.

Personally speaking I think our garages choice to use the single modem is because we have a percentage of technicians who don't use their brain when troubleshooting and therefore keeping a common modem across both slam platforms reduces that chances of an idiot tech coding or sluffing a job due to lack of insight.

again my personal opinion.....
dames
join:2000-10-19
Oakville, ON

dames to ablatt

to ablatt
I signed up for the Fibe25 (25/7) promo and had it installed yesterday and got the Sagemcom.
mintaka905
join:2006-11-03
Holland Landing, ON

mintaka905 to ablatt

to ablatt
Sagemcom....
mintaka905

mintaka905 to West 905tek

to West 905tek
how many idiot teks in your garage? You mean your manager actually shows up in your garage?

Doe he just show up to call the teks idiots????

ha ha hah aha
mintaka905

mintaka905 to West 905tek

to West 905tek
What about the fact the Sagemcom Works?

''The cellpipe only works on the lucent crap" ,

hhhhmmmmmmmmm.
mintaka905

mintaka905 to ablatt

to ablatt
ya he was told recently to use it because his shop had already invested in cellpipes last month and did not want to blow this months budget by investing in one Sagemcom... because it's all about the managers bonus...
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to West 905tek

to West 905tek
said by West 905tek :

The cellpipe only works on the lucent crap, while the Sagemcom work on both.

The Cellpipe works with both too but requires different firmware depending on which DSLAM it is connected to.

Johnny008
@rogers.com

Johnny008

Anon

The switch to Sagecom became mandatory a couple of months ago.