This is a sub-selection from interesting
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to borka

to borka

Re: interesting

said by borka:

so basically you are paying $19 per month for 550 minutes, 150 texts, and download 300 megabytes of data. And getting free wifi calling.

no a bad option for low usage consumers.

Hey, let's sell a service that uses other companies infrastructure! A great way for WiFi hotspots to close themselves off with password only access!
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by mogamer:

Hey, let's sell a service that uses other companies infrastructure! A great way for WiFi hotspots to close themselves off with password only access!

But for those who have wifi at home and work, it won't really matter. I don't think this plan would be aimed at people who are moving around and connecting to open wifi as the call wouldn't last too long before you are out of range of the AP. I don't think anyone should be using another person's wifi without their permission anyway.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to mogamer

to mogamer
Because 80 kbps of data is going to be noticeable on someone else's WiFi network.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to jcremin

to jcremin
said by jcremin:

said by mogamer:

But for those who have wifi at home and work, it won't really matter. I don't think this plan would be aimed at people who are moving around and connecting to open wifi as the call wouldn't last too long before you are out of range of the AP. I don't think anyone should be using another person's wifi without their permission anyway.

I wasn't talking about leechinmg off of a private network. But "free" WiFi is a way for a business the throw a bone to it's customers. If non-customers get their data from that hotspot, then some businesses will re-think that bonus. Especially if this kind of thing takes off and more players enter this field.
mogamer

mogamer to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Because 80 kbps of data is going to be noticeable on someone else's WiFi network.

I really wasn't thinking about phone calls. I was thinking about people using data. That will add up fast if this becomes popular. A lot of people like the idea of a WiFi phone that isn't tied to an expensive data plan. But then you have to see the after effects if these plans take off and people suck up data on other people's dime.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to mogamer

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

Already happening. As I noted in another thread: Having a WiFi-only tablet has proven very enlightening. In the three months my wife and I have had our tablets, our experience is there are relatively few wide-open WiFi hotspots anymore. The ones that aren't locked-up with at least WEP have HTTP-based username/password auth. systems.

Interestingly enough: The few we've found that were wide-open performed terribly.

Jim
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to mogamer

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

If non-customers get their data from that hotspot, then some businesses will re-think that bonus. Especially if this kind of thing takes off and more players enter this field.

I think that is happening now anyway. People with any cell phone plan are already starting to offload data to wifi to avoid the caps, so I'm thinking it is only a matter of time. I've never liked plain "open wifi" anyway. I think it is in businesses best interest to do something to ensure that people aren't leeching off of them. At least secure it and put the security key by the cash register, or something simple. Won't keep everyone honest, but it stops all but the 1%.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to mogamer

MVM

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

I really wasn't thinking about phone calls. I was thinking about people using data. That will add up fast if this becomes popular.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there are already millions of phones deployed with wifi network capabilities that people actively use for faster data rates.

If there aren't concerns with all those phones, why the concern here?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to mogamer

to mogamer
As espaeth said, people already use their smartphones on WiFi when it's available. My Epic 4G probably spends 80% of its life on WiFi, and chews through maybe 70% of its data while on that network. republic isn't going to change that figure much/any.

randy435
@cisco.com

randy435 to mogamer

Anon

to mogamer
where on thier website do it say hey use your friend wi-fi.. they talk about your own wi-fi at home.. they talk about open wi-fi.. which is if it open wi-fi it can't be they selling someone else wi-fi..this is service that would service a small group of cell phone users most those folk who use their cell phone a little and are home mostly..it not a service for folk who think the world has ended if they not talking on cell phone..

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

1 recommendation

NickD to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
I can still go to any neighborhood and find at least 1 open wifi router.
« FailT-Mobile has this today »
This is a sub-selection from interesting