uniqs
share rss forum feed

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

Wonder if you can root it?

Not that there are that many advantages to rooting that device. I have the Verizon version of that phone for my daughter. It's a great device for kids, not so much for adults.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

Re: Wonder if you can root it?

I'm sure it's possible, it's android. I don't think an android phone has ever come out that couldn't be rooted some way.
But like you said with the service limitations rooting it wouldn't really gain you anything, those budget android phones never really get a custom rom following and your obviously not going to be tethering with that phone.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

I know the device can be rooted. But if you do that and install a custom ROM, there are a few out there, then will you still be able to use their service? It looks like they put a custom app on the device. I wonder if you could use TiBu or similar to back up that app and reinstall it on the custom ROM.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

Good question. Maybe back up the whole thing and try?

Also, this phone appears to be the LG Optimus Net, which is a slightly rev'd version of the Optimus One, which came out awhile back. 800MHz CPU and Gingerbread onstead of 600MHz and Froyo.
SteveNYC

join:2004-03-29
Sunnyside, NY

I hope that you're right and that it is based on the Optimus Net, but I have my doubts. All of the instances of the Optimus Net that I see indicate that it runs on GSM networks. Sprint's network is CDMA based. On the other hand, considering all the variants that were done of the original Optimus line, there's always the possibility.

EDIT: Plus the Optimus Net has 802.11 b/g/n and the RepublicWireless unit has only b/g which places it more likely in the original Optimus S/V camp.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

Yeah, looks like the RW Optimus is a One, not a Net.

Net10 has the Optimus Net though, on CDMA, on Sprint. They also have the keyboard version of the Optimus Net, as does Straight Talk and Virgin Mobile.
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
There is no Verizon version. There's AT&T, AT&T GoPhone, T-Mobile, Sprint, USCC, MetroPCS, Virgin, StraightTalk, Net10, and maybe a few others but not VZW.

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Isn't the Vortex the same thing as the Optimus?
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Maybe? It's still not branded as such...