Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

Fail

"Membership here is a privilege"??? Are they for real? I don't think I've *ever* seen a company write that. That requires a level of arrogance and condescension that even the most cynical of HR departments would never allow. The bizarre thing is how Americans take it like abused children- willingly and as if it's the norm.

Furthermore how are they legally allowed to call the service "unlimited" when they have very specific usage limits at which they'll kick you off? That's retarded. They can label it "unlimited wi-fi phone calls" but their current branding is false advertising.

2 quotes: "Everyone’s entitled to a bad day, week or month. Kicking the cell habit, however, isn’t for everyone." And from their website, "We’ll provide you with tips for reducing your cellular footprint and plenty of opportunity to get back on track. When we contact you about your usage, we’ll let you know how much time you have to correct your problem."

They make it sound like a freaking drug addiction. Holy cow. Are they absolutely insane? If this garbage catches on I will be at a loss for how little self-respect Americans have.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

1 recommendation

republic doesn't have to serve all customers. Also, their minute allowances for on-cellular calling are soft caps, hence the "bad day/week/month" bit.

As far as "privilege" goes, if you're able to keep heavy calling on WiFi (I know I would be able to do this...may pick the device up to play with it) then you can use 3k minutes per month without a problem. 'cuz SIP is heap.

MRCURAnon

@airband.net
reply to sonicmerlin

It would be "garbage" if they were charging traditional prices for the service.

But they're not (maybe you didn't notice) - non-traditional pricing calls for non-traditional policies.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to iansltx

Yeah, it works because you have to pay for the air interface (wifi) and backhaul (cable/dsl/fiber) for most of the minutes. Works well since everyone else pays for those things.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Yeah...your point? In return for doing aggressive WiFi offloading republic shaves $26 off your monthly bill compared to someone like Straight Talk. I fail to see the issue with this business model, though it's not for everyone.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Nothing against them. Utilizing your own connection and router better to save you money. Good thing for the right users.